Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Philc1

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Watching little Baker throw 3 picks and lose another game will never get old.  It’s fun to watch.  

Since he became a starter he leads the league in INTs.

Thats with a good OL, RB and running game and at least one star WR, two this year.

Remember when everyone here thought OBJ with Landry would be unstoppable?  Good times

15 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Braker Maypole is reeling for sure. But his talent is undeniable. The kid can sling it. Yes, he is a dick. But, that is not stopping his success. He's always been a dick. 

This is 100% on "Coach Freddie", as his players call him ... that reaks of respect, right? The guy is totally out of his depth. He fields an undiscplined team and his game management skills are not poor, they are non-existent.  Is that really a surprise to anyone since he was hired with zero experience as a HC at any level and less than one season's experience as a coordinator?

So, as poor Braker Maypole wallows in the impotence of playing for his friend Freddie, he will week by week become a more desparate and less effective NFL QB. And rather than feel sorry for the dire predicament of this former #1 pick, most will bask in the glow of Braker meltdowns as he continually assures us all, in the face of his repeated failures, that he is truly as great as he thinks he is. 

It also shocked me how Kitchens allowed Mayfield to skip any of the pre-season games other than the final one 

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Invariably, drops and deflections can be a function of the QB. Obviously the rare ones that happen to a Brady or Brees or Peyton you can generally count as an unlucky play. But when you see a QB consistently struggle with this, the QB needs to get better.

I won’t pretend like I’ve watched any browns games except the two against the Jets, but I watch the highlights and review the metrics, and when Baker is consistently getting balls batted down or throwing balls too hard instead of with touch, or throwing them slightly off target enough to where the receiver can get hands on it but can’t haul it in - those are on him. 

I’ve been beating this drum since the middle of last season even while I was getting downvoted and lectured about Baker’s ‘greatness’ - that offense needs to be run the way the Rams offense was run in 2018. Chubb needs to be the featured player every week and they need to do away with trying to have Baker play out of the pistol or shotgun and trying to exploit mid-depth. From highlights, it seems like a lot of his ints come off of those kinds of sets. Have Baker turn and hand off, have him take 3 step drops and dink and dunk most of his set pass plays, and take shots downfield off of playaction or misdirection. 

McVay was great at hiding Goff for most of last year. Kitchens has the talent on offense to be able to mirror it, but the Baker-backed first time HC is failing spectacularly. And unfortunately for them, to date, Baker has proven his draft report correct - he needs to be hidden for him to be a solid starter. 

My goodness bro. That must have really hurt your feelings. lol. 

Cry already, and let it out! ?

That's a nice team record to put next to his NFL record of Touchdowns by a rookie with 3 games to spare. 

Even Favre led the world with INT's. Take the good with the bad, Bakery! 

9 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Who the fck cares about Baker Mayfield? Sam is back, let it go.

They love this guy, and honestly I appreciate it, becuase good or bad, im able to talk about my favorite player on my favorite team forum. 

I also want it to be known that Mayfield has 3 separate individual threads on the 1st forum page...and I made none of them. 

Gotta admit that this dude is pretty influential. 

Not sure what's up with him. Has he just been figured out, and has yet to adapt his game? Or is it a mental thing? Because he was spectacular last year, and now has a top 5 supporting cast around him. Also it's not like he's just slumping, he's genuinely playing bad football. 

Ultimately I think he pulls it together, but his last few games have been concerning.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I also want it to be known that Mayfield has 3 separate individual threads on the 1st forum page...and I made none of them. 

They are all Darnold threads. If our QB was an established 8 year vet there wouldn't be any Mayfield threads

• Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Not sure what's up with him. Has he just been figured out, and has yet to adapt his game? Or is it a mental thing? Because he was spectacular last year, and now has a top 5 supporting cast around him. Also it's not like he's just slumping, he's genuinely playing bad football. 

Ultimately I think he pulls it together, but his last few games have been concerning.

He's a system qb and the Monkin system doesnt fit him at all.

I love to hate on him as much of the next guy, but at least 6 or 7 of those INTs were off the hands of his receivers. Including two yesterday. 

I do see troubling trends with him - staring down receivers, forced throws, questionable accuracy under pressure - but the stat line doesn't tell the whole story.

Let me start by saying Darnold looked terrific yesterday. I know you guys don't want to hear it, but I've been agreeing with @SAR I the last two weeks that if Sam came back, the Jets are going on a playoff run. 9-7 is a strong possibility, 8-8 seems more likely to me though.

Ok, now that that's out of the way, Mayfield and Darnold had about the same game yesterday. Against a better team, Mayfield had just as good a first half as Darnold did. He led the Browns to 3 scores the first 3 times they had the ball.

Like Darnold he had a really good drive in the 4th quarter. Mayfield's gave the Browns the lead, Darnold's extended the Jets lead to 8. Both teams defenses were reeling late. The Browns allowed Wilson to drive downfield and get the win, the Jets did the same, but came up big on the 2 point conversion to get the win.

That said, Mayfield and the Browns have been struggling this year, no doubt. I said during the offseason I'd have kept GW as the HC, but I'll always give Dorsey the benefit of the doubt. It doesn't look good right now for Kitchens, nobody cares that he's a rookie HC, he needs to get this team rolling. I'm sticking with him and Baker and I'm still of the opinion they'll end up with 9 or 10 wins.

Now comes the fun part, throwing some red meat to the lions, LOL. After yesterday, here's how I'm ranking the '18 QB class so far:

1. Lamar Jackson. He's everything the JN geniuses said he wasn't. Talented, exciting, and he's winning. The kid is a highlight reel who's taken a big step forward this year.

2. Josh Allen. Tough, great arm, turns the ball over more then you want, but he's clearly trending up. His 4th Quarter comebacks show he has the clutch gene. He went to the right team, in the right city. If he keeps working, and improving, watch out for the Bills.

3. Mayfield. I'm being hard on him here, but he deserves it. He's so good I don't grade him with the curve I do the others. He has to step up and overcome his team's shortcomings, and he has to take better care of the ball. That said, his body of work so far, and Darnold's inability to stay on the field keeps him comfortably ahead of Sam at this point.

4. Darnold. Like I said, terrific game yesterday. He's finally back in the conversation. Sam has as much talent as any of these guys, he's just got to stay on the field, and keep getting better. It's all right there for him. He has the chance to be a star if he takes advantage. It's probably too late to save the season, but if he plays well the Jets still have a chance for 8 or 9 wins with the cup cake schedule they have after the Patriots.

5. Rosen. The poor guy.... :rolleyes: 

• Thumb Down 4

38 minutes ago, CTM said:

They are all Darnold threads. If our QB was an established 8 year vet there wouldn't be any Mayfield threads

On 10/8/2019 at 10:10 AM, CTM said:

Bad in preseason also. I think there's enough bad from Mayfield now and the information is newer that you start to discount last year, not the more recent stuff.

57 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Who the fck cares about Baker Mayfield? Sam is back, let it go.

I'm with you but those two are going to be tied to each other for a bit... Any time they mention Mayfield you're going to hear "...but they also could have taken Sam Darnold". 

They're just going to be part of the same narrative for a while.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

1572614283_goon.PNG.3640b6ec31aa948b77f90b7f3607a4ed.PNG

All it took was one marginally better game for Baker (relatively speaking) for him to get back on that train.

Meanwhile, he's been accosting Jets fans all season about how we need to see Sam have a good game before people are allowed to keep ripping on poor Baker.  We got it, and yet here we are.  Baker and Sam had the same performance and Baker is still much better.  Also, Josh Allen is better for that matter, lol.  Can't make this stuff up.  

And is it even worth mentioning that Baker is throwing RZ picks even with the likes of Odell, Landry and Chubb at his disposal?  It's just comical at this point.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Let me start by saying Darnold looked terrific yesterday. I know you guys don't want to hear it, but I've been agreeing with @SAR I the last two weeks that if Sam came back, the Jets are going on a playoff run. 9-7 is a strong possibility, 8-8 seems more likely to me though.

Ok, now that that's out of the way, Mayfield and Darnold had about the same game yesterday. Against a better team, Mayfield had just as good a first half as Darnold did. He led the Browns to 3 scores the first 3 times they had the ball.

Like Darnold he had a really good drive in the 4th quarter. Mayfield's gave the Browns the lead, Darnold's extended the Jets lead to 8. Both teams defenses were reeling late. The Browns allowed Wilson to drive downfield and get the win, the Jets did the same, but came up big on the 2 point conversion to get the win.

That said, Mayfield and the Browns have been struggling this year, no doubt. I said during the offseason I'd have kept GW as the HC, but I'll always give Dorsey the benefit of the doubt. It doesn't look good right now for Kitchens, nobody cares that he's a rookie HC, he needs to get this team rolling. I'm sticking with him and Baker and I'm still of the opinion they'll end up with 9 or 10 wins.

Now comes the fun part, throwing some red meat to the lions, LOL. After yesterday, here's how I'm ranking the '18 QB class so far:

1. Lamar Jackson. He's everything the JN geniuses said he wasn't. Talented, exciting, and he's winning. The kid is a highlight reel who's taken a big step forward this year.

2. Josh Allen. Tough, great arm, turns the ball over more then you want, but he's clearly trending up. His 4th Quarter comebacks show he has the clutch gene. He went to the right team, in the right city. If he keeps working, and improving, watch out for the Bills.

3. Mayfield. I'm being hard on him here, but he deserves it. He's so good I don't grade him with the curve I do the others. He has to step up and overcome his team's shortcomings, and he has to take better care of the ball. That said, his body of work so far, and Darnold's inability to stay on the field keeps him comfortably ahead of Sam at this point.

4. Darnold. Like I said, terrific game yesterday. He's finally back in the conversation. Sam has as much talent as any of these guys, he's just got to stay on the field, and keep getting better. It's all right there for him. He has the chance to be a star if he takes advantage. It's probably too late to save the season, but if he plays well the Jets still have a chance for 8 or 9 wins with the cup cake schedule they have after the Patriots.

5. Rosen. The poor guy.... :rolleyes: 

Nice post!! However over the long haul I take Darnold.  He has the demeanor and style of QB play that will give him the most successful career. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1.  Lamar Jackson

2.  Sam Darnold

3.  Baker Mayfield

4.  Josh Rosen

5.  Josh Allen

^^^ The correct answer on where these QB's rank moving forward (not power rankings).  You're welcome.  

LOL.

Josh Allen at 5, says everything that needs to be said about your credibility in this discussion.

20 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

1572614283_goon.PNG.3640b6ec31aa948b77f90b7f3607a4ed.PNG

I don't see what the big deal is here. Look at their 1st half stats. Very similar.

I gave Darnold plenty of credit, he was terrific yesterday, and I said Mayfield struggled the last two weeks...

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

LOL.

Josh Allen at 5, says everything that needs to be said about your credibility in this discussion.

Allen is like Mark Sanchez.  He takes away from what Buffalo can do rather than adds to it.  Thus I have him below Josh Rosen, since he's been stuck with 2 horrible teams to start his career.  It's a "devil you don't know" vs. a "devil you know".

I don't need "credibility" to make this point.  I have history on my side.  No QB with a statistical profile in college like Allen had has EVER had success in the modern NFL (IE since the rule changes favoring QB's).  And to this point, he's looked as bad as advertised.  He's a running back who sometimes completes passes.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I don't get your point. Mayfield has been poo this year after having a very good rookie year. We are enough games in this season that last year matters less when projecting him going forward.

Mayfield is an ass and I'm glad he's stinking up the field. I have no investment in him being good or even bad really. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, slats said:

This is ridiculous. The guy still has worse numbers than Darnold had as a rookie. Still inaccurate, still more ints than TDs. Dude's a poor man's Can Newton. Sam is still an incomplete, with just two games this year, one of which where he was dealing mono, but his passer rating right now is 22 points higher than Allen's. 

I'm giving Allen a lot of credit for his play this year... I love a QB who ups his game in the 4th quarter, and one who wins. Granted, he isn't the one man show Jackson has been, but he's had a very good year so far and is trending upwards. It's hard to ask for more from a second year guy.