One Big Fat Jamal Adams Thread, It's All The Same Discussion, Anyway (MERGED ELEVENTY-BILLION)

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You didn’t have to say it. You said everything by saying nothing at all.

Oooooh that old gag again.  lol Rings of working in Mysterious ways now doesn't it? ;-) 

I think I said exactly what I wanted to say, Buuuuuuut the space between the lines is the chosen realm of the masses. Such possibilities in there.  

• Sympathy 1

NFL Rumors: 5 Potential Trade Destinations for Jets' Jamal Adams

The Jamal Adams-New York Jets relationship hit another bump in the road this week after Adams reportedly will not participate in the team’s voluntary virtual offseason workout program due to his desire for a contract extension.

Adams is set to make just $7 million entering the final year of his rookie contract, although there is also a one-year extension the Jets can exercise for 2021 before they absolutely have to pay, or franchise tag, Adams.

Of course, that may not stop the Jets from trying to deal the All-Pro safety. They already fielded offers for Adams at the trade deadline last season, which irked to the two-time Pro Bowler, and they are more than likely to get calls about the 2017 first-round pick again, especially with the NFL Draft upcoming.

In three seasons with the Jets, the 24-year-old has proven to be the heart and soul of Gang Green’s defense and one of the most impactful safeties in the game, totaling 12 sacks, 210 tackles, six forced fumbles, four fumbles recovered and two interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown.

Adams garnered First-Team All-Pro honors last season with a career-high 6.5 sacks in addition to seven passes defended, 61 tackles, two forced fumbles and an interception.

Those numbers should have any GM trying to contend for a Super Bowl in 2020 trying to pick up the phone and call Jets general manager Joe Douglas. Here are five potential destinations:

Dallas Cowboys

Jerry Jones smiles at a Cowboys press conference.

Photo credit Getty Images

The Cowboys were linked to Adams last season at the trade deadline, but the asking price was reportedly too high as the Jets asked for a first- and two second-round picks for Adams. But with Adams clearly unhappy, perhaps that price comes down a bit, bringing Dallas back to the negotiating table. The Cowboys have already added one Pro Bowl safety this year in Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, but Adams arguably has the higher ceiling and is the more versatile player. Plus, Jerry Jones is not one to shy away from a flashy deal, and with the Cowboys’ window to win a Super Bowl now, it makes sense to add a playmaker like Adams to the defense.

Cleveland Browns

Jamal Adams looks to make a hit on Odell Beckham Jr.

Oh boy, could there be a blockbuster in the making here. The two biggest names in the rumor mill after the last few weeks have been Adams and Browns wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. Could you imagine a deal that would swap these two players for one another? The Jets would get the No. 1 receiver they desire while the Browns add a game-changing safety to their defense.

The Browns also have plenty of cap room to get an extension done, and are certainly interested in a safety after reportedly targeting Vikings’ Anthony Harris before he was placed on the franchise tag. Adding in Beckham could also help Cleveland keep its first-round pick — 10th overall, one spot ahead of the Jets — and can replace him with one of the top wideouts in the draft in Jerry Jeudy or CeeDee Lamb.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Bucs TE OJ Howard looks top pick up yardage.

Photo credit Getty Imags

While Jets fans may not be able to stomach a trade that helps Tom Brady possibly win yet another Super Bowl, the Bucs are certainly a team that is in win-now mode and could use a player like Adams. Tampa Bay already has a robust pass rush that includes Jason Pierre-Paul and Shaquil Barrett, but adding Adams would give Bruce Arians a Tyrann Mathiue-type safety that he had during his time in Arizona that could make the Bucs defense downright scary.

We also know the Bucs are in the trade market, looking to shop tight end O.J. Howard, who is coming off a terrible season. While the Jets could use a receiver more, they also have need for a tight end. The Bucs could package Howard with a pick, likely a 2020 or 2021 first-rounder (more likely the latter) for Adams.

Philadelphia Eagles

Malcolm Jenkins jogs off the field with the Eagles.

The Eagles let Malcolm Jenkins walk in free agency this offseason and not only lost a three-time Pro Bowl safety, but also a leader and sparkplug of the defense. Who better to fill those shoes than Jamal Adams? He would join Darius Slay in a revamped Eagles secondary that was among the worst in the NFL in 2019.

The only problem here, however, is Philadelphia does not currently have the cap space to sign Adams to an extension. Looking at the contracted players for 2021 via overthecap.com, there is not a whole lot of fat the Eagles can trim, either. They could trade for Adams and exercise his fifth-year option, but then the safety is just back in the same position he is with the Jets and would be unhappy as well. If the Eagles really wanted Adams, they’d have to find a way to get creative with the cap and restructure some deals.

Miami Dolphins

Brian Flores looks on before a Dolphins game.

Okay, okay, these two teams trading with one another is more unlikely than Rex Ryan having Geno Smith over for Thanksgiving dinner, but the two AFC East rivals make sense for one another. The Dolphins need a safety after trading away Minkah Fitzpatrick last year. The Jets won’t trade Adams unless the return is significant. The Dolphins have three 2020 first-round picks and two 2021 first rounders.

If the Dolphins package the 18th overall pick (which they received for Fitzpatrick), plus a 2021 first-round pick in exchange for Adams, the Jets can collect draft capital and address both the offensive line and wide receiver in the first round of the draft. It makes sense on the surface level, but would either of these two teams be willing to help the other out within the same division? The answer is likely no, but these are unusual times we are living in, so never say never.

https://wfan.radio.com/articles/radiocom/nfl-rumors-5-potential-trade-destinations-for-jamal-adams

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Physically, Muse seems to fit the bill, but I agree he doesn't seem like a S in coverage.  The way he tested, kind of reminds me of Taylor Mays.  He should be a good special teamer with some upside as a situational sub-package type LB/S hybrid.  That wouldn't be a horrible thing to end up with in the 5th or 6th, but not in the 2nd like Mays.

interesting thoughts. Any consideration toward him growing into the full time SS role from your perspective? He seems like a player who can develop to me. But I am only looking from afar.  @sec101row23 knows significantly more about the player than I do. He only came across my radar in any significant way last night. 

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

interesting thoughts. Any consideration toward him growing into the full time SS role from your perspective? He seems like a player who can develop to me. But I am only looking from afar.  @sec101row23 knows significantly more about the player than I do. He only came across my radar in any significant way last night. 

Honestly, I don't think so.  

I'm not expert on the guy, but I was seriously thinking at him in the JN mock and almost everything I read about him matched what sec101row23 said - tight.  He doesn't seem that natural in the secondary.  OTOH, he does have good ball skills.  As a box safety or hybrid guy he might be okay, but I don't think he is going to be a straight safety.  His agility numbers seem pretty good, IIRC, but apparently that doesn't mean that he can actually turn his hips and run.  That was why I felt the Mays comparision.  Mays was big and fast and I think his agility numbers were good, but on the field he was too linear.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ever? So you see him getting paid here? Like Robby Anderson did?

Where that $14M per for Robby at?

Yes. I see them paying him.  Not this year, but yes they’re keeping him.  
from the little I know about JD, he doesn’t like to sign good players in Free agency so he’s gotta spend the money somewhere.  We have no one  else worth paying anything big. So when it’s time to pay Adams he will. 

Not signing Robby was a mistake, JD will learn a lesson there.  A team needs good players regardless of what the head coach tells you. 

Trade Jamal Argument: "Trade him because the Jets record has been bad with him in the lineup (no impact)."

All you have to do to retort is ask this follow-up question: "How do you feel about Darnold?

The Likely Response: "Darnold is a stud held back by his poor team."

Then you smile and say, "Oh, I see." And walk away.

24 minutes ago, Viermoo said:

The man is not simply “a safety.” He’s a transformative defensive force. He changes the way offenses play much the way great defenders of the past have done. Was Troy Polamalu just a safety? Of course not. Same with Jamal. He’s a pass rusher, great in zone and is excellent in pass coverage. He inspires his teammates. A true team leader who raises the level of play of the entire defense.

He is a rare Jet player that is literally the best at his position in the league. Seriously, how many times in Jet history has this team had the best player at their respective position? Probably less than you can count on one hand yet some of you think it would be wise to trade him for draft pics. Draft pics? Is that because the Jets have had this amazing draft history throughout the years? I chuckle at the notion.

Considering the Jets are a team that perennially lacks talent, why would anyone want to trade their best talent away?

Complete foolishness.

Yep.  Agreed.  He's the most versatile defender in the NFL.  Can play every level of the field at an elite level.  Very few players like that in the league.  Trading that away for a "maybe" is risky.

• Upvote 2

i think the jets are lucky to have such a good player but at the same time there isn't a single safe player on this team except for maybe darnold and qwill at this point.  if a team wants to trade for adams then douglas is obligated to listen.  and yes, the draft choices received will have some risk but at the end of the day it all depends on what kind of deal we're talking about and what the draft lineup looks like.  imo, adams trade value has to be at least the equivalent of his original draft position.

32 minutes ago, Viermoo said:

The man is not simply “a safety.” He’s a transformative defensive force. He changes the way offenses play much the way great defenders of the past have done. Was Troy Polamalu just a safety? Of course not. Same with Jamal. He’s a pass rusher, great in zone and is excellent in pass coverage. He inspires his teammates. A true team leader who raises the level of play of the entire defense.

He is a rare Jet player that is literally the best at his position in the league. Seriously, how many times in Jet history has this team had the best player at their respective position? Probably less than you can count on one hand yet some of you think it would be wise to trade him for draft pics. Draft pics? Is that because the Jets have had this amazing draft history throughout the years? I chuckle at the notion.

Considering the Jets are a team that perennially lacks talent, why would anyone want to trade their best talent away?

Complete foolishness.

It is not that many of us do not understand - we simply do not care.

JA will not win the Jets a Super Bowl.

Now if we can get a first rounder or two and some more picks, even over the next couple of years, this might help the new GM build a Super Bowl team!

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Viermoo said:

He’s a transformative defensive force

When do we get to see this on display? Was it at LSU where his “transformed” defense never finished higher than third in the conference? Perhaps in high school? Which of his 61 tackles was the most transformative?

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Because we had a bad record with him in the starting lineup, therefore he was not be an impact player. But Darnold is an elite-QB-in-disguise and only his bad supporting cast is holding him back from winning more games. ?

It's the cognitive dissonance that allows the same argument to convince some that Jamal needs to be traded but that Darnold just needs supporting talent to blossom. 

I’m ok with this for the most part , the challenge I have is we’ve made a much larger investment in defense over the years and not much of one on offense. Brick and Mangold standout as the last two number one picks on the O line. Our defensive line was literally cluttered with them. Doesn’t matter how good Sam is or isn’t, we need to invest into the offense  period. No difference if Darnold is a place holder or the solution, not going to be able to figure that out until we get some help on offense. 

• Upvote 2

We have to use our SS to rush the passer because we have no pass rushers at all.  Not interior guys and no true edge guy.

Defense is an 11 man team, the fact that we play our SS up on the line as much as we do exposes others on the defense.  People need to watch every play and see what happens not just the splashy 'I made a play' Jamal struts.

The Washington game is a classic case.  He made about 4 real big splashy plays in that game.  He also  was part of an equal umber of terrible plays or plays that hurt us because our SS was on the line poaching.

Design our whole defense around him?  We already have, in  part because of underachievement by interior dline and no outside pass rusher.

The big risks we take as a defense because of the way Jamal is used would be well worth it, if he created more turnovers.

• Post of the Week 1