Nate Solder to sit out the season. #OptOut

Much respect for the decision he made, and all good thoufgts for his child. I don't mean to offend anyone, but enough Nate, we get it... you're a man of God. :rolleyes:

BTW I'm wondering if there is a deadline on these player opt outs, or can they decide not to play at any point of the season?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Much respect for the decision he made, and all good thoufgts for his child. I don't mean to offend anyone, but we get it Nate, you're a man of God, we believe you...

BTW I'm wondering if there is a deadline on these player opt outs, or can they decide not to play at any point of the season?

Monday Aug 3, according to this tweet from Ed Werder.

• Upvote 3

Yo it's never funny to mess around with anybody's feelings about their kids. Personally I'm not a big religious buff, but there's no need to make fun of somebody who's going through some s*** like that.

The guy needs whatever strength he needs to survive. If his kid is in danger and he feels helpless or hopeless then more power to him, however he needs to get it.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

Not a man of god myself but the hate in this thread is obnoxious. The guy puts out a statement about his personal life and discusses his personal beliefs to Giants fans, and snowflake Jets fans comment more about his faith than the fact that the guy is dealing with his toddler going through chemo. What the actual ****?

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Not many would make a $13M sacrifice like that..... I have deep respect for that decision. That's a man's man right there. That kid will know how deeply his father loves him years from now when he looks back.

God bless him and his family.

So true.

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Not a man of god myself but the hate in this thread is obnoxious. The guy puts out a statement about his personal life and discusses his personal beliefs to Giants fans, and snowflake Jets fans comment more about his faith than the fact that the guy is dealing with his toddler going through chemo. What the actual ****?

WTF last time I checked it takes faith to deal with the reality of his son’s plight. How could you possibly deal with something like that without faith.

I can't argue with ANY player choosing to do this. Does anyone know how this works, I assume they forfeit their salary if they choose to do this? In the Giants case with Nate being so grossly overpaid, does his Salary come off the books with regards to the cap? If this is the case, they have to be thrilled at the money they just cleared up for a player whos production can be replicated or even bested at a fraction of the cost. 

Glad to see this title was changed.  Nate seems to have made a rational decision based on risk assessment.  He will need that to get his son the very best care possible.  If faith gives him the resolve he needs to make rational decisions based on the best science available he will have the best chance to have a good outcome for himself and his son.