Darnold Is A Problem

choon328

Does this a couple of times each game. Another glaring one was on the first drive of the game, when we were down on the 10, and it was 3rd an 5, I think. Dolphins set up to blitz, and Sam didn't recognize it, as usual. Kicked a FG. Even Lofton called him out, saying that everyone in the world knew they were bringing the heat. Everyone except the most important guy on the field. He just doesn't get it, and never will.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, drsamuel84 said:

I don't even now if it's his inability to process post snap.  Per the video, he looked right at Crowder but just couldn't pull the trigger.  I think this is more about his confidence being shot.  A fresh start on the bench for a year with a good org. and offensive mind like Reich in Indy could be exactly what he needs.   

Its a combination of lack of football IQ and bad decision making. You can't say he lacks confidence when he throws the ball up for grabs at least twice a game. He just misses way too many opportunities that a starting QB in the nfl doesn't miss. If Joe Flacco had that same opportunity it would have been a TD. Pretty much any other starting QB in the league makes that throw. You can't miss those opportunities to score and he has been doing that consistently since he was a rookie. It has nothing to do with confidence. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Anyone surprised by what we see in that tweet has not been looking at Darnold the last three years.   Darnold has never been good at reading coverages and throwing the ball deep.  He's missed open receivers constantly.

I also think Darnold never recovered from that Pats game where he "saw ghosts".  That game exacerbated his penchant for panicking with even mild pressure coming.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, section314 said:

Does this a couple of times each game. Another glaring one was on the first drive of the game, when we were down on the 10, and it was 3rd an 5, I think. Dolphins set up to blitz, and Sam didn't recognize it, as usual. Kicked a FG. Even Lofton called him out, saying that everyone in the world knew they were bringing the heat. Everyone except the most important guy on the field. He just doesn't get it, and never will.

Yep and I don't care how good of a HC or OC you have, on the field the QB has to be able to recognize blitzes and coverages. For whatever reason Sam is shot , he's playing shell shocked like David Carr in Houston . IMO even though he had some decent games later last season he hasn't been the same since having Mono. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Its a combination of lack of football IQ and bad decision making. You can't say he lacks confidence when he throws the ball up for grabs at least twice a game. He just misses way too many opportunities that a starting QB in the nfl doesn't miss. If Joe Flacco had that same opportunity it would have been a TD. Pretty much any other starting QB in the league makes that throw. You can't miss those opportunities to score and he has been doing that consistently since he was a rookie. It has nothing to do with confidence. 

But that's not confidence , that's recklessness. 

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Look. The Darnold story is super simple.

You found a kid who has all the physical tools of a QB, albeit only an average arm.  You stuck him at the position, and called him a QB.  You put him in a position where he didn't actually need to be a QB because his physical ability and the talent around him was far superior to his opponents, so he only had to play backyard QB.  No reads, no progressions.  Just guys getting open.

Then, you get him to the NFL, and still, at no point has he become an actual QB, and you put him in a league where the windows are tight and guys are actually covered, no matter what team you're on, and suddenly, he needs to be an actual QB.  But, he can't.  And, it's too late.  It's not the coaches fault.  He's just simply not an NFL QB.  The majority of the people on earth can't do it.  There's a reason why there's only a dozen or so good ones on the planet at any given time.

His best pass is a touch pass with loft, and that just does not cut it in the NFL.  

He may be salvageable in a system that has a great offensive line and solid ground game, where he could live off of play action bites by the defense and allows him to roll out and only read half the field. He would need a superior play caller to help set him up in that system. 3rd down and long, when the defense knows what is coming is like kryptonite to Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Can’t believe there are still people making excuses for the kid.

He’s completely shot.

I haven’t watched any games this year except Monday night with Flacco so I have no idea but when THIS BOARD turns on the kid basically lock step in unison. he must be done.  How sad for him and us.  The game I went to in DC last year he looked good. Rolling out, making throws, etc. but the next week we get shutout by CINN.  The kid just ....  I have no words.  Bring on the TANK!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

21 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I haven’t watched any games this year except Monday night with Flacco so I have no idea but when THIS BOARD turns on the kid basically lock step in unison. he must be done.  How sad for him and us.  The game I went to in DC last year he looked good. Rolling out, making throws, etc. but the next week we get shutout by CINN.  The kid just ....  I have no words.  Bring on the TANK!!!!!

me n green14 n was it warfish? yeah, i think warfish. were tellin yall this sh*t last year....     we "hated" Sam.

nope. Sam stinks.

the odds of himever being good are about as good as matt barkleys

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

He's got a lot of physical talent. Even in that game he makes some extraordinary throws. But between the ears there's nothing there.

I was of the opinion that Darnold would be an interesting reclamation project but the more I see the more obvious it is that he can never make it in this league. I genuinely think he's a bit stupid. 

i been getting at this bit by bit...   he doesnt learn. 

also. alot oftalent? . not really. some. sure. extraordinary? if you mean NFL level throws, sure. cos qbs across the league are making them every game.

he doesnt throw guys open, he's constantly late. 

i mean, his first pick. he did thta all on his own. was well protected left the pocket. instead of throwing it to crowder he missed him by 2 yards to the side where the defenders were instead of the sideline. 

• Upvote 1

Its very sad watching Sam Darnold play did he have potential to be the best, yes he did. But what hurt him was the coaching on this team. A lot of coaches discipline their players mainly the QB. It seems that he wasn't disciplined at all by this coaching staff. What's amazing is his errant throws that he commits and we can't say its once in a blue moon, it almost every time he throws. 

I blame mainly the coaching staff starting with the head coach Adam Gase and it trickles down to the offensive coordinator and QB coach. They should be correcting Darnold and I personally see a lot of cuddling on their part. Look at backup QB Joe Flacco when he started over Darnold, he actually played the game better than Darnold with fewer throwing mistakes. In that time Darnold being benched the coaches did nothing to the effect of making him better. 

All the Jets should do is bench him the rest of the season!!!! Resign Joe Flacco, so he can start next season and let Trevor Lawrence learn behind him. Darnold should be traded in the offseason but he is not worth a first or a second round pick. No team will give up a pick that high for him, most teams will rather wait until Darnold gets cut. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

The All-22 has shown this tendency in Darnold multiple times
this year.  That was a layup 40+ yard TD with Crowder having
3-5 yards of separation and NO ONE in front of him.  We better
hope that multiple teams "think they can fix Darnold" otherwise
we'll be lucky to get a #3 for him 

You are right of course!

All I can say is we have fallen far far away from all of those out here who SWORE that the only thing we could do was "SUCK FOR SAM"...

Now some of the same posters who would argue about how Sam is a "can't miss prospect" are some of the same folks now pillorying him out here!

I said then that getting Sam would NOT be the answer because there was no sound Organizational Plan for his development and why I was a Baker booster who felt that the Jets had a much less chance of ruining him. This isn't hindsight that is what I said at the time and why I have defended Sam out here because the Jets were/are a dysfunctional Organizational mess BEFORE Sam got here and obviously he alone couldn't turn it around.

I for one wish Sam the very best going forward, he is a stand-up person, took the blame guy, who hasn't gotten it done here..

But the position the Jets put him is simply unforgivable IMO..

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

You are right of course!

All I can say is we have fallen far far away from all of those out here who SWORE that the only thing we could do was "SUCK FOR SAM"...

Now some of the same posters who would argue about how Sam is a "can't miss prospect" are some of the same folks now pillorying him out here!

I said then that getting Sam would NOT be the answer because there was no sound Organizational Plan for his development and why I was a Baker booster who felt that the Jets had a much less chance of ruining him. This isn't hindsight that is what I said at the time and why I have defended Sam out here because the Jets were/are a dysfunctional Organizational mess BEFORE Sam got here and obviously he alone couldn't turn it around.

I for one wish Sam the very best going forward, he is a stand-up person, took the blame guy, who hasn't gotten it done here..

But the position the Jets put him is simply unforgivable IMO..

Burrow and Herbert look great on bad teams who lose.

Sam adds badness to a bad team. Baker would be be better than Sam here b/cbaker is better. 

Flacco just put up 28 pts 2 weeks in a row.

Sam is a nice kid. But he is outta his league. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

He's got a lot of physical talent. Even in that game he makes some extraordinary throws. But between the ears there's nothing there.

I was of the opinion that Darnold would be an interesting reclamation project but the more I see the more obvious it is that he can never make it in this league. I genuinely think he's a bit stupid. 

I separate real life "stupid" from sports, in the moment, "stupid."

But yes, Darnold's problems are definitely between the ears. He has always played frenetically and that suggests to me that he is nervous and constantly in a state of panic. He has trouble reading the field and going through his progressions in real time and he struggles mightily against the blitz.  Any way you slice it, that suggests his biggest issues are mental. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1