Jets HC interview requests

54 minutes ago, KRL said:

Remember Daboll was here before as QB Coach under Mangini

That’s the problem. He knows how bad the owners are. Plus witnessed first hand how the Johnsons screwed Mangini. Promised him a free pass if he took Favre only to then back out and fire him for a 9-7 season 

• Upvote 2

Just now, jetstream23 said:

O'Brien for sure IMO.  I'm also not sold on Bienemy and Roman.

I think my list is Matt Campbell (longshoremen), Daboll (will be tough to get), Arthur Smith (possible).

One thing I was curious about was the connection of Joe Douglas and others in the Jets FO (Phil Savage, Rex Hogan, etc.) to these candidates.  I heard about Hogan and Eberflus, but what others are there?  Can we glean any possibilities based on who Joe and others have worked with in places like Philly, Baltimore, Indy, Cleveland, etc.?

Harbaugh is not on your list? Or, do you just feel he is not leaving Michigan?

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Keep an eye on Eberfus - he'll come cheap.

Joe Douglas interviews him for 1 hour and 55 minutes, then the Johnsons jump in with two questions...

1. Would you say yes?

2. We're willing to pay about $7M to the Head Coach position but we still owe Adam Gase about $5M next year sooooo....would you do this for $2M?

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Harbaugh is not on your list? Or, do you just feel he is not leaving Michigan?

I'm neutral on Harbaugh.  I have some diehard Michigan friends, alumni who are as buried in the goings on of Michigan football from a fan perspective as we are with the Jets.  It was during this past year that they really started to say they had doubts about Harbaugh and don't think he can be the guy there anymore.  It's interesting because I also don't think he's leaving Michigan.  They just made some assistant coaching changes that you wouldn't think they'd make under Harbaugh if he was leaving, but who knows?

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:
The first known interview request. Many more will roll in.

PK.... Is there a way to have a running list of applicants? Last time I checked the thread, there have been an additional 100 or so posts. Can't go through 5 pages looking to see who's on the list. Maybe @Sarge4Tide can pin it to the main board?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

HOLY sh*t!!! IS THIS TRUE!!! I cant believe it! If Joe D reallty does make the pick wiht ownership blessing I have high hopes!

Let's hope that all we hear is "final approval" by Jets ownership.  I'd even be fine with "Jets ownership were present for a final interview," etc. because let's face it, the billionaire owners of a sports franchise have to at least be present or show some kind of tacit involvement.  But this should be 95% Joe Douglas and team (Hogan, Phil Savage, etc.) and then presenting the choice to ownership for a rubber stamp approval.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Let's hope that all we hear is "final approval" by Jets ownership.  I'd even be fine with "Jets ownership were present for a final interview," etc. because let's face it, the billionaire owners of a sports franchise have to at least be present or show some kind of tacit involvement.  But this should be 95% Joe Douglas and team (Hogan, Phil Savage, etc.) and then presenting the choice to ownership for a rubber stamp approval.

final interview aka stamp of approval aka signing off

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I was intrigued that in addition to all of his defensive experience, he was the passing game coordinator for the cowboys in 2016-2017, but then I looked and saw the Cowboys had the 23rd and 26th ranked passing O in those seasons. 

23rd in yardage, I imagine?  The passing game was very efficient in 2016, so the numbers look a lot better if you choose less archaic metrics.  2016 was Dak Prescott's rookie year in the NFL, and he went to the Pro Bowl that season.  23/4 TD:INT ratio, 104.9 QB rating and 8.0 yards per attempt. 

I know they obviously leaned heavily on Ezekiel Elliott in 2016 but the offense was very efficient.  In 2017 he struggled, a year in which Zeke missed 6 games.

2 hours ago, Kenny said:

That’s the problem. He knows how bad the owners are. Plus witnessed first hand how the Johnsons screwed Mangini. Promised him a free pass if he took Favre only to then back out and fire him for a 9-7 season 

He sucked.  He proved that in Cleveland.  He was never even a credible coordinator.  Sucked, sucked, sucked.  Mishandled Favre.  Mishandled Revis and that D.  Sucked in game.  Was a micromanaging douchebag.  Did I mention he sucked?  Herm was considerably better as Jets coach.   If Mangini stayed as Jets coach, Revis is James Hasty.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Jets requested HC interviews with DCs Patrick Graham (Giants) and Brandon Staley (Rams), per Twitter.

Wonder if Patrick Graham wants to bring Leonard Williams along........

200.gif

4 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

It's so hard to predict how an OC or DC will be as the head guy.

I taught for 30 years at two different high schools and saw several assistant principals get promoted to head honcho. I remember one guy who was sort of the ideal assistant become an absolute disaster as the head principal, and I remember another who was only an assistant for one year and seemed rather mediocre at best, got the head job at another school (which I went to a year later, so I got to work for him), and did real well for a few years, then left for an even better job.

Just don't hire a recently fired HC like they did with Gase.  Those guys need to go back to being an assistant and reflect on what went wrong.

Management is key to being a successful HC. The OC and DC run their respective sides. I’m tired of the gurus. Get the ceo Boring type who knows how to manage a 50 plus man team

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Facts said:

I have a feeling Daboll is going to LA to coach Herbert.

I also think he wouldn’t want to disrespect McDermott & Allen by going to the Jets, if another team was available to him.

Disrespect mcdermott? He should be happy daboll get a HC gig wherever he goes if he leaves. I also think he is going to LA cause their QB is lightyears ahead of ours already

I think most people will not get the Head Coach they are wishing for.  There are 6 teams looking for a new HC.  Atlanta, Jacksonville, Houston, Detroit, and Los Angeles.  All of which have star QB's if you want to include Trevor.  Players and cap space have to be considered but you can decide where we rank amongst those teams.  Where we stand is certainly debatable. Stand in their shoes and determine where you would want to coach.  

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

PK.... Is there a way to have a running list of applicants? Last time I checked the thread, there have been an additional 100 or so posts. Can't go through 5 pages looking to see who's on the list. Maybe @Sarge4Tide can pin it to the main board?

I can edit this thread with an updated list on the original post.

• Sympathy 2

7 hours ago, riggy001 said:

This is good, I want them to interview at least a dozen candidates, then narrow to 4-5 for 2nd interviews. No need to rush this process, there isn’t one guy i believe we have to have. I am fine if this takes a month or more...plus sometimes some people shake lose late. I know, that can also be a bad thing, i.e. Gase!

Not me.  This is what they have done in the past and watched coach after coach get signed.  Then panic

I want Douglas to know exactly who he wants , go out and sign him.   Most of these guys know one another and frequently hire peole they have worked with sometime in the past.

• Upvote 2

I cant help but wonder how differently this HC search would go if we had held on to the 1st overall pick. Do you think Urban Myer would be coming out of retirement for THE JAGS, of all teams, if it wasn't for them getting Trevor Lawrence? I mean, maybe he was willing to coach them regardless but that job looks like a completely different opportunity with TL than without him. 

I can't help but wonder how much better the Jets job would have looked if we hadn't screwed up getting that pick. Hopefully Fields repeats his performance from last week and dominates the predraft process so that the gap between him and TL is lessened come draft day. 

18 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Flores, Rex, Mangini, Gase - have done it recently. 

Yes, it could happen.

I just think, if he has multiple offers, he takes the one out of the division.

If the Jets are his only offer, I could of course see him coming.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I cant help but wonder how differently this HC search would go if we had held on to the 1st overall pick. Do you think Urban Myer would be coming out of retirement for THE JAGS, of all teams, if it wasn't for them getting Trevor Lawrence? I mean, maybe he was willing to coach them regardless but that job looks like a completely different opportunity with TL than without him. 

I can't help but wonder how much better the Jets job would have looked if we hadn't screwed up getting that pick. Hopefully Fields repeats his performance from last week and dominates the predraft process so that the gap between him and TL is lessened come draft day. 

Not much, If it did make a huge difference I don't want that coach.  Lawrence is the #1 Qb prospect in the draft.  He is not the 'generational' talent people keep throwing around.