Christopher Johnson Press Conf: MERGED

35 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

When CJ said the process might be fast, my only thoughts were to Jim Harbaugh. If Harbaugh wants the job, I think the interviews are over and he get the job.

If the harbaugh thing worked out I bet that would wrap up the process very quickly agreed, reports were he had a good offer an dtook it, if not man it would be a huge improvement to get him as the HC. It be my and probably everyone elses including the JD's first pick. 

Damn Jets always do sh*t liek this make me excited about posibilities and then **** it up - see gase how we treated Sam, not using bell well etc.

Dont tell press we are targeting CEO type HC. That narrows down who we targeting and allows opposition who may want same guy to move quicker.

But it does tell you Jets 'probably' only interviwing coordinators as backups if CEO types (Campbell Fitzgerald etc college program builders along with Harbaugh Cowher Caldwell Marvin etc)..\It smells like Joe wanted Campbell 1st go round and is targeting now along with Harbaugh and Cowher.

All others are backups if those 3 do not come.

UNC Tar Heels did CEO HC hire with Mack Brown and its been highly successful. Mack knows whole game and how to run a organization and pokes his head when issues arise but went out and hired killer coaching staff.

I think Jets see Cowher ultimate CEO type who puppett masters great coach staff. They see Harbaugh as CEO type who more hands on than Cowher would be. The see Campbell as ability to bond with players to build a new culture and has proven they can win with lesser rated recruits and budgets. Campbell a worry as we dont know how he translates to NFL although Kingsbury and Rhule are clones as far as resume and they doing fine 1st time in NFL

6 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

If the harbaugh thing worked out I bet that would wrap up the process very quickly agreed, reports were he had a good offer an dtook it, if not man it would be a huge improvement to get him as the HC. It be my and probably everyone elses including the JD's first pick

Damn Jets always do sh*t liek this make me excited about posibilities and then **** it up - see gase how we treated Sam, not using bell well etc.

Certainly not my 1st pick . 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

The 50-year thing stood out to me. You don't usually see Jets executives pointing out their failures in such stark terms. Gives me a little glimmer of hope that there are finally some real changes going on.

This part got me a little nervous, but of course he's going to be complimentary of the fair-haired wonder ...

BS, gave Gase similar praise a few weeks ago

• WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

They've already confirmed interest in Daboll and Eberflus, neither of which would be a CEO type. So I'm not sure if CJ is blowing smoke, clueless, or both...

you have to have backups with top choices say No.

Jets have had MONTHS to research these coaches cause they knew Gase was gone in October. Research DONE. Its offer and negotiate time in order of who you want. Dont waste tome and lose best guys while you yank you pud

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

I am actually shocked that Chris hit on all the right tones today.  For years we've wanted this team to not make things more difficult on ourselves.  We've had poor timing of HC relative to GM.  We've had weird GM situations (Steinberg living off campus back when the Jets were at Hofstra).  We've had a weird reporting structure.  Weird hires everywhere.  And owners that didn't address the issues in public.

Chris just did that.  I give him props.  I'm actually optimistic.

Add in the fact that I like all the candidates being discussed and this is a good day.  Macc, Gase gone.  Draft capital.  Good QBs at top of draft.  A GM that at least knows what we need.

Let's go!

Please do not get optimistic! Please for the love of god!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

They've already confirmed interest in Daboll and Eberflus, neither of which would be a CEO type. So I'm not sure if CJ is blowing smoke, clueless, or both...

i don't know how anyone can say this?  parcells and the bellichicken certainly took an interest in the offense even though they were defense guys. i'm not sure where john harbaugh came from but he was the special teams coach before becoming head coach.  this whole ceo designation is getting people tied up in knots.  to me it just means the next coach is going to be more of an overseer.  he not necessarily going to be calling offensive or defensive plays.  this is a good thing.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

"I’m a huge fan of Sam. I think he’s a great QB,” Johnson said, via Ralph Vacchiano of SNY. “I think he has wonderful talent and drive and leadership. I don’t think the book has been written on Sam. He has a very big future. And I personally hope it’s on this team. That’s what I told him after the game: I hope he is a Jet going forward. But that decision will be made by Joe Douglas and our new coach. That’s about as definitive as I can get on Sam.”

The most concerning part of this quote is that he told Darnold personally he wants him to stay a Jet. This could have been dismissed as just standard talk to hype his trade value until he revealed his personal conversation with Darnold. This is not good. When Joe talks to the media I fully expect him to say Sam Darnold is the starting QB in 2021. Typical Jets investing in sunk cots basing decision on value they gave up for previous mistakes instead of moving on.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't know how anyone can say this?  parcells and the bellichicken certainly took an interest in the offense even though they were defense guys. i'm not sure where john harbaugh came from but he was the special teams coach before becoming head coach.  this whole ceo designation is getting people tied up in knots.  to me it just means the next coach is going to be more of an overseer.  he not necessarily going to be calling offensive or defensive plays.  this is a good thing.

i am not against ceo type at all,,just get great coaches

4 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Typical Jets investing in sunk cots basing decision on value they gave up for previous mistakes instead of moving on.

as a Sewell at 2 fan, this is a silver lining of the Johnson's not knowing what a sunk cost is 

what's the worst that happens they take an All Pro tackle to go with Becton and find an identity on offense  

gene wilder cup and saucer GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

If the harbaugh thing worked out I bet that would wrap up the process very quickly agreed, reports were he had a good offer an dtook it, if not man it would be a huge improvement to get him as the HC. It be my and probably everyone elses including the JD's first pick. 

I suspect Harbaugh doesn't even get a call.  Douglas is going to hire someone he, or Rex Hogan is familar with.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

"I’m a huge fan of Sam. I think he’s a great QB,” Johnson said, via Ralph Vacchiano of SNY. “I think he has wonderful talent and drive and leadership. I don’t think the book has been written on Sam. He has a very big future. And I personally hope it’s on this team. That’s what I told him after the game: I hope he is a Jet going forward. But that decision will be made by Joe Douglas and our new coach. That’s about as definitive as I can get on Sam.”

The most concerning part of this quote is that he told Darnold personally he wants him to stay a Jet. This could have been dismissed as just standard talk to hype his trade value until he revealed his personal conversation with Darnold. This is not good. When Joe talks to the media I fully expect him to say Sam Darnold is the starting QB in 2021. Typical Jets investing in sunk cots basing decision on value they gave up for previous mistakes instead of moving on.

I don't  think this means a thing. Didn't  he say Gase was an offensive genius and then barely waited for the team to leave the lockerrom to fire him?

• Upvote 2