How will you spend Draft night? (The annual What are you cooking? Where you going? What are ya drinking? Thread)

I’m spending it at home in my Jets Cave. For those that never got the chance to see it, I posted it last year:

I had invited a few friends but it might come down to only one now, but I’m not baking on that either. 

was gonna go the cliche route and get a pizza, but my girlfriend is going to try and make me a Chicago deep dish pizza on Friday so I’m still tossing around what to do for tomorrow. Maybe ribs. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Rye is generally much spicier, often sweeter, less astringent than Bourbon, but with a distinct bite bourbon with it's corn smoothness lacks.

Rye fits in almost everything bourbon does, but a Classic is Rye & Ginger with a splash of lime juice.  Really good, refreshing, tangy, sharp, good stuff.  

I love Rye in a equal-parts mix of Rye (or Bourbon) + Amaretto + Sicillian Amaro.  Like a mature cola for serious adults!  One of my favorites.

Rye Manhattens and Old Fashions are also staples for me.

And I always like my firt taste of any new Rye (or any brown liquor honestly) to be neat, room temperature, really get the taste of what I'm having, and where it might work best. 

I didn't find it sweeter than the same-brand bourbon at all. The spiciness was there, but then BH's bourbon is also spicier than many others, and the two were (unsurprisingly) similar. Neat, I didn't care for rye as much in my only try, so wanted to know what you liked best to mix with. I really never mix bourbon unless it's something bleh like at a well-drinks-only affair and it needs to be de-taste-ified with Coke or something. Even that still beats the pissy beer that's also served at such events, though. 

I'll give these a try, though; I've got all that other stuff in the house. ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Charlotte Jets fan club will be at our local bar.....   we’ve been there 10 years now.  

Bet even with Covid rules and social distancing you'll have room for more.

OK - my apologies for being snarky. I'm jealous - have a great time. Literally the only other Jet fan I know up here has small kids, and he ain't going anywhere.

3 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

I’m hosting draft night this year. My two brothers and my brother in law will be there. One brother is a Jets fan while the other is a Giants fan. My in law is a Niners fan. I’m serving finger deli sandwiches, salads and wings. Will probably order pizza as well.

Do you put the salad in individual bowls ahead of time, or big bowl on the coffee table and everyone takes turns getting it? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Picking up Rutts Hutt and watching  draft at a buddies with some ice cold Rolling Rock nipss with their signature green bottles.

Does Rutts travel ok?  

Going with ribeye and a veal chop (first time trying it on the grill if anyone has suggestions).  Have a few Channel Marker IPA's left from what I could bring back north from florida so given the special occasion gonna have a few of those. 

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Does Rutts travel ok?  

Going with ribeye and a veal chop (first time trying it on the grill if anyone has suggestions).  Have a few Channel Marker IPA's left from what I could bring back north from florida so given the special occasion gonna have a few of those. 

We live close by so it travels well enough.

2 hours ago, freestater said:

Which side are you on?

Whatever works. ?

But I guess I’ve been more of a 4-3 supporter quite honestly.  Tons of variables to the debate but I like the idea of getting organic pressure from 4 guys rather than having to scheme a pass rush out of the 3-4.  Also, these stud 3-4 OLB hybrid guys who can rush the passer, defend the outside run, and also cover TEs or RBs out of the backfield are like unicorns.  Hard to find guys who do all that really well.  And once you do find one they become really expensive and you need to have more than one for depth.  So in terms of roster building I’ve always thought you can have an easier time finding those traditional 4-3, hand in the dirt, DEs.  Put it this way.... IF the Jets find a young, premier, pass-rushing DE either this year or next year we could be looking at the Sack Exchange 2.0.  Think of a guy like Kwity Paye or Jaelen Phillips thrown onto a line with Carl Lawson, Quinnen Williams, etc.  Frightening.

• Upvote 1

Home on the couch watching pick #2 with my 5 year old son.  I haven’t broken the Sam Darnold news to him yet - Sam is his favorite player.  Hoping selecting Zach Wilson will soften the blow for him.

He has done a bunch of the PFN mock drafts with me so he knows the names of most of the players being drafted.  I will let him know who we picked at 23 in the morning.

Making chili and wings.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Whatever works. ?

But I guess I’ve been more of a 4-3 supporter quite honestly.  Tons of variables to the debate but I like the idea of getting organic pressure from 4 guys rather than having to scheme a pass rush out of the 3-4.  Also, these stud 3-4 OLB hybrid guys who can rush the passer, defend the outside run, and also cover TEs or RBs out of the backfield are like unicorns.  Hard to find guys who do all that really well.  And once you do find one they become really expensive and you need to have more than one for depth.  So in terms of roster building I’ve always thought you can have an easier time finding those traditional 4-3, hand in the dirt, DEs.  Put it this way.... IF the Jets find a young, premier, pass-rushing DE either this year or next year we could be looking at the Sack Exchange 2.0.  Think of a guy like Kwity Paye or Jaelen Phillips thrown onto a line with Carl Lawson, Quinnen Williams, etc.  Frightening.

3-4 is the finesse defense meant to play the 2010's version of the passing game. It's exotic and comes with a fun blitz package. But you need really good players which takes away from your ability to build a total roster. A 4-3 is strong, durable, and versatile. Can play both the run and pass with effectiveness and doesn't require premium/expensive players. As the cycle of the NFL starts to turn more towards running the ball again, 4-3 defenses will come back en-vogue. 

I've always been a 4-3 guy as well. 3-4 requires top end talent at OLB and NT to really work. If you don't have an elite NT to take up two blockers, you can't control the line. If you don't have strong ILBs behind the meh NT, the opponent's going to run it down your throat all game or the QB's going to burp the baby all game. Meanwhile, in a 4-3, you lose a little bit of defending the pass, but you gain much more by not having to commit so much of your cap to the defense. In an offense driven league, I'd take that any day.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

3-4 is the finesse defense meant to play the 2010's version of the passing game. It's exotic and comes with a fun blitz package. But you need really good players which takes away from your ability to build a total roster. A 4-3 is strong, durable, and versatile. Can play both the run and pass with effectiveness and doesn't require premium/expensive players. As the cycle of the NFL starts to turn more towards running the ball again, 4-3 defenses will come back en-vogue. 

I've always been a 4-3 guy as well. 3-4 requires top end talent at OLB and NT to really work. If you don't have an elite NT to take up two blockers, you can't control the line. If you don't have strong ILBs behind the meh NT, the opponent's going to run it down your throat all game or the QB's going to burp the baby all game. Meanwhile, in a 4-3, you lose a little bit of defending the pass, but you gain much more by not having to commit so much of your cap to the defense. In an offense driven league, I'd take that any day.   

In terms of defending the pass I think we’re going to see a lot of 3 Safety looks.  They may play quite a bit of 4-2-5.

Honestly I'm doing zoom therapy cause I missed last week and didn't time this properly. Every Thursday at 8. I'm going to have the draft in the background having to be honest with Bonnie cause I'm not not watching it. No friends till after 9 due to my F up. I'll be partying by the second pick