Tua Tagovailoa?

Tua Tagovailoa  

108 members have voted

1. 1. You are the GM of the Dolphins, which of these 4 statements best reflects your thinking on Tua Tagovailoa?

• He is our Franchise QB and we need to build around him!
    • He is developing and has shown me enough to give me confidence he can be a good starting NFL QB for years to come
    • Might not be 100% sold on him but I'm not ready to cut bait just yet
    • We need to upgrade the QB position or at least create legitimate competition for Tua with an NFL vet going forward

The answer is obvious, you need to upgrade at QB.  

At best, he will be the 2nd best QB in the Division and what, 6th, 7th or 8th best in the AFC?  A perpetual fight for the last couple of wild card slots.

Whether it is Deshaun Watson or you are able to lure another franchise QB away (Rodgers/Wilson) try to find an upgrade before you are forced at having to pick up his fifth year option and be stuck in the Kurt Cousins' zone.  Minnesota and Washington have been on both ends of it and neither has flourished.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ben Had said:

I believe he has played in or started 19 games. How many has he won? Would Jet fan's be happy with his winning percentage?

Are you? He is your QB. I think Tua got sh*t on by the Fins with all the Watson BS. Dolphins need to fix the O-line before trading away all their pics.

• Upvote 2

He's at least as worthy of more time as Zach Wilson is IMO.

68% comp. this year.  26:15 career TD:INT ratio.  And he's played better than Zach, generally.

6-3 as a starter last year, 6-5 as a starter this year.  

Also has suffered from tons of skill position injuries (or so says my Phins fan brother).

I'll presume he gets at least his third year, same as most draft pick QB's get, same as I'd project Zach will get to prove himself.

Do the Phins stick with him?  Maybe not.  So much smoke with Watson, you have to think there is some fire at least.

That said, I'd rather play against Tua than Watson. 

• Upvote 3

I think the Dolphins smartly accumulated draft picks, and when picking high picked the best QB they thought available.   It was actually a catastrophically bad pick because they choose Tua over Justin Herbert, who actually has the skills to be a prototypical NFL QB.  Tua was the headline pick.  

But Tua is good enough to help the Dolphins develop, just like Winston sort of was for the Bucs.  He is relatively cheap.  The Dolphins have been drafting decently and are actually in a perfect situation to acquire a player like Watson.  Tua's can be traded or his contract runs off.  The 1st round picks the Dolphins give up are picks tomorrow countered by the picks they acquired yesterday to pick up players they have.  

The Jets will be, and the Browns are, in a similar spot.   Mayfield can lead the team.  The Browns and the Dolphins will look to trade for Watson as the ultimate upgrade.   The hope in the Browns case is that Mayfield could be traded-to the Panthers perhaps, or another team in need of a QB, to off load the salary (which as a 5th year option is not terrible).  

I don't see the Dolphins at this point giving Tua the big second contract.  Hopefully they can avoid the Cousins situation.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ben Had said:

I believe he has played in or started 19 games. How many has he won? Would Jet fan's be happy with his winning percentage?

How are Dolphins fans feeling about the overall direction of the franchise right now? Last year's close call was a great "arrow pointing in the right direction" season but obviously after all the offseason moves playoffs were expected for 2021.

Who is under the most scrutiny?

I said not ready to cut bait, but Tagovailoa seems like a Mac Jones type of player. Would do very well with the Patriots, but it's clear he's more of a system QB. not much arm strength, sometimes has bad accuracy, but can be trusted to pull things off here and there.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

How are Dolphins fans feeling about the overall direction of the franchise right now? Last year's close call was a great "arrow pointing in the right direction" season but obviously after all the offseason moves playoffs were expected for 2021.

Who is under the most scrutiny?

Not much different that JN here. Both teams fans understand they have the worst OLines in the league, questionable coaching and lack of offensive playmakers. The big difference is the fins have a good young defense. 

I think the fins allowing the Watson trade talk linger cost them in the locker room and showed the first 8 weeks.

I like Tua and hope he is the answer but just like Wilson he needs quality coaching and an OC that can game plan to his strengths.

I still think if he were in New Orleans this year it would be similar to what Mac Jones is doing for the Pats if not better.

3 hours ago, Ben Had said:

Not much different that JN here. Both teams fans understand they have the worst OLines in the league, questionable coaching and lack of offensive playmakers. The big difference is the fins have a good young defense. 

I think the fins allowing the Watson trade talk linger cost them in the locker room and showed the first 8 weeks.

I like Tua and hope he is the answer but just like Wilson he needs quality coaching and an OC that can game plan to his strengths.

I still think if he were in New Orleans this year it would be similar to what Mac Jones is doing for the Pats if not better.

I would rather have Wilson than Tua.  I can see Tua being another Fitzpatrick.  

Wilson can make the throws.  He appears to be understanding the game better.  Its interesting that everyone thinks he played well yesterday but he still had a completion percentage of 55%.   We need to find him people who can catch.  

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

He's at least as worthy of more time as Zach Wilson is IMO.

68% comp. this year.  26:15 career TD:INT ratio.  And he's played better than Zach, generally.

6-3 as a starter last year, 6-5 as a starter this year.  

Also has suffered from tons of skill position injuries (or so says my Phins fan brother).

I'll presume he gets at least his third year, same as most draft pick QB's get, same as I'd project Zach will get to prove himself.

Do the Phins stick with him?  Maybe not.  So much smoke with Watson, you have to think there is some fire at least.

That said, I'd rather play against Tua than Watson. 

Stats don't tell the story.  Stats are sometimes a helpful indicator not in this case - When you watch him play it's clear his arm strength will clearly hold him back.

While he's gotten better and can win games - his upside will be limited.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't be planning to hand him the 5th year option based on what we've seen so far.  Force him to prove that he can be "the guy" over the next 2 years.  With his contract not expiring until the end of 2023, there's no reason to jettison him any sooner than that unless there's a team out there that wants him badly, OR requires him as part of a deal for a different QB.

Meanwhile, certainly bring in an alternative option.  The Dolphins can afford to go get Watson and see what the NFL does to him.  Even if he sits for a full year, you have Tua as your built-in "bridge guy" (unless the Texans want him in the deal; though this seems unlikely given that Davis Mills may well be better than Tua).  If the Dolphins CAN'T get Watson  or a similarly viable top-end QB, then do what I hope the Jets do:  Sign/trade for a guy like Trubisky, Jameis or Minshew.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2022 at 11:16 AM, CanadienJetsFan said:

The team won what 7 in a row with him? They’d be dumb to cut bait.

They did not really beat top echelon teams

The sports reporters down hear try to gloss over his weaknesses (no arm strength) but the team seems to try to play to his strength a two yard pass. He makes a lot of mistakes (a lot of turnovers at the crucial time of the game) and in my uneducated opinion of him is he’s not that good. He needs to be pushed