CJ Mosley... can we keep him

Jetstream

From some articles I see they're saying about a 16mil cap hit for Mosley next year and talk of the Jets needing to walk away...

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/time-part-ways-cj-mosley-2022/

...but we have to keep him, not sure if they can re-structure his deal, but love him getting the boys going in Buffalo... 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYhipsBtcBa/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Upvote 1

Mosley will be 30 when 2022 TC starts (and 31 when 2023 TC starts) and he lost essentially 2 seasons of wear and tear due to the injury in 2020 and the covid opt out.  Why not see what he does in 2022 before the team makes any sort of decision.  I get that its a lot of cash, but I think Mosley looked worse on the field then he actually was due to the lack of help he had around him.  

I really hope the defensive coaching staff can take a good look at their system and personnel and possibly tweak some things so guys like mosley play to their strengths (coverage not blitzing) and take a step forward in 2022.  

Maybe he winds up loving Saleh and the organization does improve and he wants to be here enough to restructure his deal a bit to make it more cap friendly and he can play out his 32/33 year seasons here, who knows.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Jetstream said:

From some articles I see they're saying about a 16mil cap hit for Mosley next year and talk of the Jets needing to walk away...

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/time-part-ways-cj-mosley-2022/

...but we have to keep him, not sure if they can re-structure his deal, but love him getting the boys going in Buffalo... 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYhipsBtcBa/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Why not keep him he played well and his money is guaranteed. The only way to save salary is to renegotiate his contract. 

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

His salary is fully guaranteed. There are only 3 ways the Jets don’t keep him:

1. The Jets agree to eat a giant chunk of his salary in a trade

2. He retires

3. He’s suspended for doing something that makes his contract voidable

1. Not happening 

2. Maybe?

3. He has the type of Dad and family that makes that the least likely. 

Im obviously a CJ Mosley fanboy but I think with upgrades I’m D next year he plays better as the D plays better. I also think we need his leadership. That D showed up and played for  something Sunday! 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

No need to restructure, we have plenty of cap space this year. Let him play out 2022 and let him go after the season. He's not a great player anymore (he's good not great) but he is a leader on the team. Draft a couple linebackers this year and start grooming them.

yep.  that's my thought too. the big cap problems will start when qwill is looking to get his big contract after next season.  other than that i don't think there are any really big contracts until becton's draft year hits.  they can easily afford moseley's contract and it's doubtful they'll be able to find players to replace him even if his skills have diminished a bit.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

His attitude seems to be very good, and with that, can be a role model for all the young players how they should aspire and handle themselves as professionals.

What Ronnie Lott did for the Jets in his last few years.

I don't remember any Jets cutting off the tip of their finger to stay on the field.  

• Haha 4

Mosley is not good. Good generally means you are above average and he is no longer and above average LBer. On a terrible defense he stands out as competent, but if we released him he would be lucky to get much more than a veteran minimum's contract. That should tell you all you need to know. 

He is a tremendous leader and on a team of young players there is a ton of value in keeping him around especially when the alternative doesn't really save you any cap space. 

• Thumb Down 1

34 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

CJ is badly overpaid but I'm glad he at least seems to have a good attitude and seems like a leader on the defense.  Hopefully he can help get the defense turned around before we end up cutting him (in another 1-2 years I would think).

And it should be underscored, he has a good attitude on a team that has not been winning, which makes it even more impressive. He has been a leader, a good player and he likes it here. The only negative is his salary, but we can't help that he was overpaid by the previous GM. We have little to lose by letting him play out 2022. Maybe his salary can be restructured and hopefully we can retain him as a Jet by resigning him to a more team friendly deal in the future.

• Upvote 1

Mosley is clearly overpaid, based purely on his on-field performance alone, but he brings more than his on-field play alone.

He's a leader on the field and in the meeting rooms, he works hard, and his attitude is outstanding.

Mosley is not a guy who got paid and then mailed it in. He keeps finding more and more ways to contribute to try to make the team better. He has talked about being an active recruiter during the FA period this year, to sell players on the idea of signing with the Jets.

Plus, as others have said, there is no real financial gain in cutting him this year. Next year, it becomes more of a possibility.

But, for 2022, Mosley will be a Jet and a leader on an off the field for the team.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetstream said:

they outlined it like this... 

image.png.c1a21587c8401d38b2a05fa5e4bf5b46.png

This is a slight misinterpretation of the OTC numbers, in that there is no tangible cap benefit to cutting him at any point in the 2022 season.

The only legitimate reason to cut him is if they literally believe they're better off with him off the roster, independent of any cap implications. In theory,

1. that could be because they believe they have 2+ better MLBs, or
  2. maybe because they want someone else to start and - even if he's better than the MLB2 they'd otherwise roster - they don't want to deal with a split locker room or hypercritical journalists pointing at a $16MM player on the bench anytime the promoted, non-Mosley starter fails to make a play. 

In terms of minor cap space recovery there might be some offset in his contract, but there'd be little to no incentive for his next team to pay more than the $1MM vet minimum since the player pockets the same total $ no matter how much they'd pay him, up to $16MM+ (the only thing that'd change is the split of how much is paid by the Jets and how much is paid by his next team). Even that situation's only if there's offset language in there in the first place.

Cutting him this year and cutting him on day 1 of the 2023 season next March is the same thing cap-wise, especially for a Jets team that isn't sniffing at having cap issues, and the 2023+2024 salaries are saved identically either way. All that'd change is whether a smaller portion of it hits this year or next year, but the total cap space - and in turn, the total spending ability - is unchanged since such amounts are fungible from year to year: unused space this year = pushed forward in the form of a higher cap ceiling next year. It makes zero difference in the end.

The only serious way it'd cost more to cut him now vs a year later is if they then sign a different, expensive veteran to take his place, whom they otherwise wouldn't have signed, upon cutting Mosley. Technically anybody they sign - even someone making a ~$1MM minimum - is still that much more cost to the team, but such a low $ contract would be a non-factor.

All this is just theoretical stuff anyway: in the absence of major cap savings that don't exist, the Jets aren't cutting the player they just voted as team MVP.

• Upvote 1

Why anyone would want Mosely off the team next season is a mystery to me. He’s been one of two or three consistent players on the defensive side of the ball. I thought we all want the team to succeed? Sure his contract sucks, but it’s not like it’s keeping the team down, money-wise. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

His salary is fully guaranteed. There are only 3 ways the Jets don’t keep him:

1. The Jets agree to eat a giant chunk of his salary in a trade

2. He retires

3. He’s suspended for doing something that makes his contract voidable

Yup.  He ain't going anywhere next year.

BUT....in 2023, the Jets get out of four big contracts IF they want to.

CJ Mosely

Carl Lawson

John Franklin Myers

Corey Davis.

IF the Jets want to move on from those four, they can with a savings of around $56 million.  We'd have about $175 million in cap space, but a LOT of roster spots to fill!

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Why anyone would want Mosely off the team next season is a mystery to me. He’s been one of two or three consistent players on the defensive side of the ball. I thought we all want the team to succeed? Sure his contract sucks, but it’s not like it’s keeping the team down, money-wise. 

He's nowhere near the elite player he's paid to be, and that'd be the reason. His contract is so over-bloated with guarantees (even in year 3) that no one would offer anything for him absent the Jets eating a huge chunk of it in exchange for a draft pick, and probably not a high pick at that.

Except the Jets are desperate for neither cap space nor draft picks, so the motivation isn't going to be there (leaving the team to then explain - without outright badmouthing a player who's so vocally supportive of the team - why they're better off with a little more cap room and another mid/late draft pick than the team's incumbent mvp).

They aren't unable to sign anyone this offseason, and any such major multi-year starter signings shouldn't change if Mosley's guaranteed salary was even half what it is. Of all the Douglas traits, an inability to look at things beyond the current season isn't among them. His judgment here or there has been fair to question, but he's clearly taking long-term more than short-term views of the team, and outside of signing a different veteran MLB starter he isn't staying away from a major, desired player in 2 months purely because CJ Mosley's guaranteed 2022 salary is more than it should be.

Mosley's on the Jets in 2022.

After that his 2023 salary is a non-guaranteed $17MM; so unless the NFL salary cap suddenly doubles, he'll then take a big, forced pay cut or will get cut.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Mosley will be on the team next year, but hopefully Douglas drafts his successor in this draft (Dean, Lloyd)

Exactly.

It's not that he's bad. He's playing out of position. He played in a 3-4 scheme over in Baltimore and he came here expecting the same. Saleh changed all that with his 4-3 thus asking him to play Middle Linebacker. He's not fast enough. draft a natural MLB like Dean or Lloyd and move Mosley more to the outside. he's still a tackling machine!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Exactly.

It's not that he's bad. He's playing out of position. He played in a 3-4 scheme over in Baltimore and he came here expecting the same. Saleh changed all that with his 4-3 thus asking him to play Middle Linebacker. He's not fast enough. draft a natural MLB like Dean or Lloyd and move Mosley more to the outside. he's still a tackling machine!

@Jetsfan80

• Haha 2