NY Jets' Corey Davis signing named one of the NFL's worst moves of 2021

Bronx

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-corey-davis-signing-worst-2021

NY Jets wide receiver Corey Davis didn't perform up to par this past season, and he's rightfully listed as one of the team's worst signings in 2021.

An abundance of factors come into play when signing any player, and there's always the possibility of a player simply not fitting into a team's scheme.

It's too early to tell if Davis will be a complete bust for New York, but his first season with the Jets left much to be desired.

PFF's Sam Monson listed the best and worst 2021 NFL free agent signings with the Jets' addition of Davis as one of the worse ones.

"Signing a player coming off a career year is always dangerous — doubly so when the plan is to transplant him into a significantly worse environment. That’s exactly what the Jets did with Davis, as they hoped he could lead a new-look receiving corps to success with a rookie quarterback. Davis dealt with injuries and only played in nine games, but in those games, he averaged just 1.74 yards per route run — a massive dropoff from the 2.58 he managed last season. "

NY Jets may end up deeply regretting Corey Davis signing in 2021

Monson also noted that Davis posted the highest drop rate of his career (15.6 percent), and his stats across the board disappointed as well.

Davis' 34 receptions in 2021 tied for his career-lowest, and despite missing games due to injuries, he didn't look like the talented receiver he was in Tennessee.

Prior to signing with New York, Davis hauled in 891, 601, and 984 yards in his last three seasons on the Titans. He may have benefitted from Ryan Tannehill's experience and solid play, but he was also competing heavily for targets against the uber-talented A.J. Brown.

On the Jets, Davis was expected to lead the way for younger players like Elijah Moore to develop in the offense, but Moore (and others) ended up outperforming the fifth-year wideout.

Davis potentially still has his best years ahead of him, and he may gel better with the Jets next season. 2022 doesn't exactly spell boom-or-bust for the wideout, but the team will be expecting some level of improvement.

images (1) (7).jpeg

TYJDTY!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

yes, davis had a bad season.  injuries shouldn't be an excuse but he was hobbled the whole season and missed quite a few games.  and then there's the whole issue of what the rest of the team was doing.  it took half of the season before the oline became close to being reliable and wilson finally settled into some reliable play.  so while there are some issues with signing a guy coming off a big year, davis has enough reasons to justify his performance.  he'll get better.  also let's be clear there weren't many wr's available for the jets to sign.  is he a no. 1 guy?  probably not.  he can be a good complementary receiver should they get a true no. 1.

and of all the free agents i'd say jarrod davis or even shaq lawson were worse.  davis not only missed half of the season but he was frequently out of position and got run over. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-corey-davis-signing-worst-2021

NY Jets wide receiver Corey Davis didn't perform up to par this past season, and he's rightfully listed as one of the team's worst signings in 2021.

An abundance of factors come into play when signing any player, and there's always the possibility of a player simply not fitting into a team's scheme.

It's too early to tell if Davis will be a complete bust for New York, but his first season with the Jets left much to be desired.

PFF's Sam Monson listed the best and worst 2021 NFL free agent signings with the Jets' addition of Davis as one of the worse ones.

"Signing a player coming off a career year is always dangerous — doubly so when the plan is to transplant him into a significantly worse environment. That’s exactly what the Jets did with Davis, as they hoped he could lead a new-look receiving corps to success with a rookie quarterback. Davis dealt with injuries and only played in nine games, but in those games, he averaged just 1.74 yards per route run — a massive dropoff from the 2.58 he managed last season. "

NY Jets may end up deeply regretting Corey Davis signing in 2021

Monson also noted that Davis posted the highest drop rate of his career (15.6 percent), and his stats across the board disappointed as well.

Davis' 34 receptions in 2021 tied for his career-lowest, and despite missing games due to injuries, he didn't look like the talented receiver he was in Tennessee.

Prior to signing with New York, Davis hauled in 891, 601, and 984 yards in his last three seasons on the Titans. He may have benefitted from Ryan Tannehill's experience and solid play, but he was also competing heavily for targets against the uber-talented A.J. Brown.

On the Jets, Davis was expected to lead the way for younger players like Elijah Moore to develop in the offense, but Moore (and others) ended up outperforming the fifth-year wideout.

Davis potentially still has his best years ahead of him, and he may gel better with the Jets next season. 2022 doesn't exactly spell boom-or-bust for the wideout, but the team will be expecting some level of improvement.

images (1) (7).jpeg

TYJDTY!

Ray Liotta GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Just an ugly free agent WR class. Golladay had three more catches for 29 more yards and no TD’s versus Davis’ four - in five more games - and is getting paid a lot more. Agholor had three more catches for 19 less yards and one less TD in six more games.

Samuel, Fuller, and Smith-Schuster all battled injuries and none made an impact.

Bringing in free agent WR’s is tough and it was definitely a brutal year last year.

The best free agent WR may have been the guy they didn’t bring over from SF - Bourne didn’t have a great year but better than all those other guys.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

Monson also noted that Davis posted the highest drop rate of his career (15.6 percent), and his stats across the board disappointed as well.

Yeah, these people are idiots for signing him, agreed.

Treating a season in which he played a career low in games as if he played the same number as he usually does.  Yes.  Very moronic.  Almost as if they were hoping to find a big market player to target in hopes of picking up some clicks.

Guess it worked.

• Thumb Down 1

57 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Corey Davis is a terrible idea for a number one receiver and was a terrible signing because that’s what he was signed to do. I blame this front office more than him. He’s an adequate number two for the most part. If Joe Douglas doesn’t step up and get a true #1 then he’s simply failing us at that point. Get a #1 receiver, get an NFL level play making tight end and Corey Davis will be a fine piece for the offense. I feel like we were simply asking him to do too much. Beginning of year Zach literally try to throw him the ball every play. Corey simply isn’t that player. 

He's the 21st highest paid WR, IMO that's right where he should be. I know top 32 highest paid may imply #1 WR money but I think it's important to note that a lot of NFL #1s are on rookie contracts. 

He clearly had a connection with Wilson, hopefully with the emergence of Moore, Berrios, and Carter he will play better in his roll.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Treating a season in which he played a career low in games as if he played the same number as he usually does.  Yes.  Very moronic.  Almost as if they were hoping to find a big market player to target in hopes of picking up some clicks.

Guess it worked.

Hmmm. I'm not sure what the objection is here. He had a significant number of drops and "drop rate" is calculated as the percentage of targets that were dropped - so it inherently takes into account that he had fewer passes thrown his way than usual (since he played less games). 

By the way, even if you just look at TOTAL drops (which should be lower considering that Davis played in a career low number of games), he had the second most of his career despite playing in only 9 games. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviCo03.htm

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

I really liked this FA signing. He's only 26 years old and played well in Tennessee. I'm not sure he can become a top WR1 but he could slide into and become an excellent WR2, when(if) JD finds a WR1.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. The top WRs from the class (that weren't franchised)

1- Juju

2- Golloday

3 Fuller

4-Antonio Brown

5- Samuel

6- Corey Davis

7- Hilton

8- Marvin Jones- 

8- Watkins

Only Marvin Jones had a better year than Davis. And it's not like it moved the needle for Lawrence's development. 

Maybe not, but he also makes about 1/2 what Davis makes, and more importantly just 1/3 the guaranteed money.

Jones was brought in to be an upgrade-replacement for Keelan Cole, to complement Chark & Shenault. 

Davis was brought in to be the team's WR1, go-to receiver (heading into the draft) unless the WR1-body Mims had a major uptick in year 2.

He was to be the big, reliable, young veteran WR their young QB could lean on to move the chains and make some tough catches in traffic. Drops are brutal, and Wilson - who had so many problems of his own, starting a bit too early - didn't need the additional handicap of the team's big veteran addition being unreliable. That 15% drop rate is actually pretty generous, too. I'm not re-watching every play again, but I remembered at the time he was credited with 4 that there were probably a bare minimum of 2 more he wasn't credited with a drop. Stat-counters are really generous (in the WR's favor) on calling something a drop, and honestly there's a difference in expectation between him not coming down with a catch and a 7th string scrub not coming down with one. 

One of the main reasons - on top of his experience without being an old has-been - was his 70% catch rate once Mariota was out of the picture. Plus the only games he missed to injury the prior year were due to COVID-19. He had 100 yards in the only game he was listed as questionable (or even on the injury report at all).

It was a bad year 1. The team had a right to expectations that weren't met, even with Wilson mostly sucking himself. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

He's the 21st highest paid WR, IMO that's right where he should be. I know top 32 highest paid may imply #1 WR money but I think it's important to note that a lot of NFL #1s are on rookie contracts. 

He clearly had a connection with Wilson, hopefully with the emergence of Moore, Berrios, and Carter he will play better in his roll.

Wasn’t talking about money. I know that article was, I was referring to the front office thinking they hit a true #1 for that  21st highest paid spot. They didn’t. I do agree he will be getter next year with other guys getting the defenses attention. If he didn’t get hurt, he may have had a couple games as Zach got more comfortable and Braxton Berrios balled out. Not terribly related but I honestly got a bad feeling we won’t see Braxton beck next year. Hope I’m wrong. 

• Upvote 2