Carson Wentz traded to Washington

Kind of surprised because supposedly the key reason Wentz went to Indy was because of his relationship with Reich who had coached him in Philly. Actually since no first round picks involved the return wasn’t all that great but Indy able to get rid of that big salary. But rumors they might trade for Jimmy G who might not be as good as Wentz and also gets a big pay check. 

The truth of the matter is, in today's NFL, if you don't have a Top 12 QB, it's better to have a bottom of the barrel QB than a mediocre one like Wentz.

At least from the viewpoint of competing for SB's...a guy like Wentz may be favorable to Washington, who may be worried about things like selling tickets or fans in the stands, etc.

It's awfully hard to win a SB without a Top QB.  If you don't have one, best chance to get one is to sink to the bottom to "earn" a Top pick in the draft.  Looking at you, Stephen Ross

40 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Man the Colts just churn through QBs. They're like “you suck. Bring me the next guy”. Haha

This is what happens when you have either Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck as your starting QB's for almost two decades.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

Colts dont have much draft capital. No first rounder, #47 is their first pick

#42 - they are swapping 2nd round picks with Washington as part of the trade.

Not a big difference, admittedly. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I think the issue with Wentz is more than on field performance. I have read more than once that he is a real piece of work and lockerroom cancer and no one really likes him. He was decent last year but came up small when it mattered and his old coach essentially could not wait to unload him. I suspect it won't work so well for Commanders either.

Does weaken our trade down from 10 position.

that's my feeling too.  tannehill was like that with the doltfins.  sometimes these guys just don't mature and aren't worth the aggravation.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Wentz has some major issues.  However Garappolo is no upgrade. 

Washington had been big QB hunting but I bet their fans are not happy.

I think their only other option was Watson and that likely wasn't going to come to fruition. Watson will probably go to Panthers, Eagles or Steelers now.

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think their only other option was Watson and that likely wasn't going to come to fruition. Watson will probably go to Panthers, Eagles or Steelers now.

Roony's won't touch him. I know Ben R. was a rapist, but he was insulated by lawyers and accuser paid to be quiet.

Watson situation is all over the news. Roony doesn't like that type of publicity. I'd say Panthers

• Upvote 3

The Athletic article definitely makes it seem like the org thought he was a soft, gutless mush who wasn't a leader or a winner. To take that huge loss rather than run it back a second year is very telling.

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Kind of surprised because supposedly the key reason Wentz went to Indy was because of his relationship with Reich who had coached him in Philly. 

Reich basically said pretty publicly he stuck his neck out for him. Seems like he regrets that 

• Upvote 1

Jimmy Garroppolo would be a small upgrade for Indy if he can stay healthy, and is likely a better scheme fit.  He just hasn't had a year where he is fully healthy in a long time and I think people in league circles don't trust his availability...  He's also someone who really doesn't play well when hurt..  Pretty much all of his good games are when he is injury free, and all of his bad games are when he's struggling with something (fantasy football nugget)..  

Carson Wentz is also a pretty good qb, but apparently he is a locker room cancer.

28 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Is he really that much better than Trubisky who can be had for nothing?

I certainly don't see him as that much better other than a few spots here and there.  The real red flag for me is Reich, who Wentz was at his best with, willing to move on.   

• Upvote 1

Assuming this takes WAS out of the QB race at #11 which slightly lowers the value of trading down out of #10 for us.  Not really a big deal, but it's there.  I was liking the possibilities of moving down 5-10 slots and picking up more ammo but I'm not holding my breath.

5 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Didn't the Colts just trade a 1st rounder for him about 10 minutes ago?

Sheesh...Wentz's stock has fallen massively over the last couple of years.

Not exactly the upper-echelon QB option that Washington was seeking.

It was a second round pick that turned into a first based on his playing time. 

I remember watching a NFL Films video of Wentz mic'd up and there was a part where he came up to the bench and basically told Foles and some other dude to move out of the way because that was his spot. I remember thinking what a fkg prima donna douche bag. The locker room cancer stuff is talked about too much to be untrue.