Jets Aquire Demaryius Thomas

SR24

1 hour ago, Ohhthepain said:

Nice...Any tread left on the tires?

Morning sports update: Demaryius Thomas says he feels ‘better’ now than before Achilles injury

"The program we’ve been doing here has helped out a lot, so I feel great."

By Hayden Bird

August 30, 2019

In the final preseason test for both teams before the regular season, the Patriots lost to the Giants 31-29 on the last play of the game. The most notable moment might have been Tom Brady’s sideline balancing act.

What Demaryius Thomas had to say after catching two touchdowns: In his preseason and Patriots debut, wide receiver Demaryius Thomas had a big night. He caught 7-of-8 targets for 87 yards and two touchdowns.

Thomas is returning to the field following an Achilles rupture that ended his 2018 season. The 31-year-old has been working his way back, and appears to be ready for the regular season.

After the game, he said that despite his injury, he feels stronger than before.

“I actually feel a lot better now,” Thomas told reporters. “Before the injury, I was a little smaller. But I’m a little heavier, a little stronger. The program we’ve been doing here has helped out a lot, so I feel great.”

Asked if he’s past the point of having a mental block regarding his Achilles, Thomas said he only knows how to play at one speed.

“I just go out and play,” Thomas explained. “If I’m going to get hurt, I’m going to get hurt, but I’m going to be full speed getting hurt. My Achilles is great. I’m going to do whatever I can to play my best ball. I’m not going to think about anything, I’m not going to have it in the back of my head, because usually when I have it in the back of my head, I don’t play my best. So, I’m just going to give my best, and if I get hurt, I just get hurt.”

The game showed a glimpse of what the Patriots’ passing game could have in the 2019 season with Thomas lining up alongside Josh Gordon and Julian Edelman. Along with depth in the running game, it presents an optimistic picture for New England fans.

Asked about the offense’s potential, Thomas didn’t want to get carried away.

“Well, first off, I want to be a part of it for sure,” Thomas said. “Just being around, watching the guys work, watching the guys week-in and week-out, from Detroit to Tennessee, we’ve got a lot of potential. But there are a lot of guys around the league that I feel like are going after the Patriots, because I know when I was on other teams, we were going after them. We might look good on the roster, but we’ve got to go out every week and get better and better every week. So, if I can be a part of that, I’ll be happy.”

One thing that Thomas is still acclimating to is playing for the Patriots, and not against them. As a longtime member of the rival Broncos, the 6-foot-3 receiver admitted it was a little strange to put on a Patriots jersey.

“You know, kind of,” Thomas responded. “I played a while on opposite teams. Beginning of the season, the first team I’d look at is the Patriots and see who they’re playing, and come playoff time, see what position they are. Now to be a part of it, it feels great.”

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

It's pretty obvious they saw something on the game tape that prompted this trade.  My suspicion is it's Enunwa having a problem getting separation as a wideout.  We're probably heading to Herndon/Enunwa looking something like the Pats ran with Gronk/Hernandez back in the day...

Anderson is the deep guy.

Crowder the slot guy.

They needed a big bodied possession guy. 

He's an upgrade at wr but not sure by how much. 

• Upvote 1

In the very limited amount of time I saw Thomas play during the preseason, I saw a guy that still has VERY good hands. However, he's recovering from some sort of injury. I don't think this is any game changing move by any stretch. The Jets still suck. They'll still only win like 5, maybe as much as 7 wins. But Thomas adds another nice target for Sammy to use. Now, if we can actually get the team to show up Monday night, perhaps the Jets can actually give the Browns hell before losing as only the Jets can do.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Honestly just figured out that DT is only 31 years old... I seriously thought he was like 36+... Feels like he's been around forever.

He's still young enough to have a little resurgence. 

He was in his prime at the same time as Eric Decker, and coincidentally stopped being good at the same time as him too

47 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

It's pretty obvious they saw something on the game tape that prompted this trade.  My suspicion is it's Enunwa having a problem getting separation as a wideout.  We're probably heading to Herndon/Enunwa looking something like the Pats ran with Gronk/Hernandez back in the day...

Sounds like an improvement to me.

14 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Seems like a complete waste of time. If he were worth anything at all the Pats wouldn't send him here.

I think Enunwa is definitely carrying an injury. Unsurprisingly. We didn't go near him.

I think it’s more like they have no faith in him, and also , DT provides a legit red zone threat esp. with herndon out.  They really had no physicality to their offensive skill guys at all.

1 hour ago, FlightBoyz said:

Gotta give JD a full season with the organization before anyone starts bashing him. He obviously knows where the weaknesses are & is trying to fix it. Ofcourse he's gonna make mistakes along the way. Let's hope his 2 big pick ups Kalil n Thomas pan out.

2 over the hill players that more than likely will be gone next year. JD aka George Allen. 

56 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Always try to look for the silver lining. On the way to changing this culture you are going to get heartbreaking losses where a series of gaffes contribute to snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory. If you are beaten by a team just better than you that day or period it is one thing i.e how the Saints beat the Texans, but to lose the way we did shows talent/culture related issues to be corrected and no time better then the start to get these things ironed out. Let WRs know we will be getting others in to do the job if you don't. So we try with WR Thomas. Let players like kickers know you will be replaced if you faulter. Let all others know you are on notice as Gase basically called out those groups that screwed up, i.e CBs. Maybe the team learns and the talent and culture approve, lets hope. Being a nasty SOB like when Parcells was here did wonders, as well as him bringing in better players mainly FAs and some draft picks. We just have to have this done again now and maintained.

I disagree a tad. When you lose by 1 to a team with less talent and your D is great until your best D player gets hurt and leaves the game, your leader, plus the kicker misses a pat and a fg its pretty much all it is. It is what it is. Not much of a culture loss yet i don't think. If Vedvik scored us a measily 4 pts we win in regulation 20-17.