144 members have voted

1. 1. How Confident Are You In Darnold?

• I'm very confident he's our franchise QB
    • He's probably our franchise QB
    • He could be our franchise QB
    • He's probably not our franchise QB
    • I'm very doubtful he's our franchise QB

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/29/2020 at 03:23 AM

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I thought we drafted a franchise QB who could put the team on his back.

Seems we drafted a Sanchez-type, who needs a great O-line, great WR's and great RB's in order to succeed.

Or am I misreading all the "Sam can;t win without a great roster around him" talk this year?  

Sanchez couldn't manage a loaded roster.  If you truly thought he was bad his entire tenure here, it'd be pitiful to watch him play on this team.

I don't think Sam is Sanchez.  If he even had the Bills roster around him I think he is significantly better.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

Sanchez couldn't manage a loaded roster.  If you truly thought he was bad his entire tenure here, it'd be pitiful to watch him play on this team.

I don't think Sam is Sanchez.  If he even had the Bills roster around him I think he is significantly better.

Sanchez was an over drafted bum. Sam is a good NFL QB, who will only get better. With a new coach, hopefully.

• Upvote 1

Sam's numbers and play so far is a big "meh", but I do like the fact that he finished with a winning record on this decimated team.

He definitely does need to show more. He's made some good plays but nothing earth shattering.

Some people say that he needs to cut down on stupid throws, I can kinda agree but outside of 2 games he was excellent at protecting the ball. I will actually argue that all he needs to become very good is developing just an adequate deep ball. He's shown very good things throwing intermediate, but the amount of missed plays this year due to his inability to hit a receiver deep in stride is the most concerning aspect of his game.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Sam's numbers and play so far is a big "meh", but I do like the fact that he finished with a winning record on this decimated team.

He definitely does need to show more. He's made some good plays but nothing earth shattering.

Some people say that he needs to cut down on stupid throws, I can kinda agree but outside of 2 games he was excellent and protecting the ball. I will actually argue that all he needs to become very good is developing just an adequate deep ball. He's shown very good things throwing intermediate, but the amount of missed plays this year due to his inability to hit a receiver deep in stride is the most concerning aspect of his game.

13 Games, 21 total TDs (19 passing/2 rushing) and 13 picks, 3,024 yards, and a big improvement on completion percentage (61.9% from 57.7% despite having having the same YPA).

Honestly, given the state of this roster, I'm ok with it.  Give him more weapons and an O-Line and I think you'll see a large leap.

• Upvote 3

I think he looked his best when he had a TE to throw to, and that is something he seems to really need to be more consistent--hasn't had that the last few weeks and struggled. So, hard to say right now but I felt better this time last year than I do right now. 

He’s worth developing further....ton to like about him but can make boneheaded decisions at times(he’s decreased this as the season went on)....won’t truly know what he is until OL is improved and he gets a bonafide weapon or 2....The way he bounced back from that seeing ghosts game over the back half of the season is truly impressive

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Absolutely no comparison between the two.

I seriously have doubts as to whether Sanchez could have won just one single solitary game playing with what has been around Darnold for 2 years now.  It’s documented evidence by clock time that Darnold is “the Most Chased QB in the NFL”, you think Sanchez could have dealt with that?  Receivers virtually Never getting any separation, the only time Sanchez ever showed accuracy was his uncanny ability to hit a receivers trailing foot on a crossing route.  How would Sanchez have dealt with that?  And lastly...Zero Running game...that’s all Sanchez was good for, someone to have the ball off to backs who had the BEST OL in front of them, not the WORST as Darnold has had his entire short career.

I doubt Sanchez could complete 40% of his passes playing for the 2018 and 2019 Jets.

Darnold even put up some 30 Point games this year.  Did Sanchez?  Ever?  I’m serious.

You’d get happy seeing the guy with 200 yards passing on his stat line.

• Upvote 2

Okay,  so Darnold wasn't  great and inconsistent at times but had above .500 record.  

Over 3000 yards in 13 games, 19TD/13int.

Likely QBR around 50ish, around average starting QB

Let me ask which of the below on our team is average or above?

OWNER...way below...possible bottom 5

GM...unproven...but hopeful. However, Mac was perhaps the worst...so below average 2019

Head Coach...again maybe better than Kitchens?  Bottom 5

O Coordinator ...every game, puzzling play calling

Oline: arguably the worst

Running backs: should be above average but one of the worst statistically..see oline and coaching

WR...above average slot, inconsistent #1, overall I would say below average group, I mean which recieving group you wouldn't  swap with?

TE...who wouldn't you trade with?

Do you actually believe:

Josh Allen or Baker would put up better number than darnold if they were here?

Do you believe Dak Prescott would do better?

Even Lamar Jackson would be pedestrian here imo.  He has a head coach and the organization that seems to move in unison, and they understand how to maximize the talent that they have...If he were a Jet, Jetsian way would hamstring LJ from the top down.

1 hour ago, Drums said:

I think he looked his best when he had a TE to throw to, and that is something he seems to really need to be more consistent--hasn't had that the last few weeks and struggled. So, hard to say right now but I felt better this time last year than I do right now. 

Excellent point about how he was playing best when Griffin was involved. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

I thought we drafted a franchise QB who could put the team on his back.

Seems we drafted a Sanchez-type, who needs a great O-line, great WR's and great RB's in order to succeed.

Or am I misreading all the "Sam can;t win without a great roster around him" talk this year?  

I'm of the mindset that the o-line is the help your QB needs. The skills position guys get made better by their QB. While a QB can shift and slide in the pocket, the line still needs to create a pocket to begin with. He should be the one to elevate the players around him. And, to be clear, I think he does just that. When Robby Anderson has Fitztragic et al throwing to him, he's not going to look like he's worth the money whoever is going to give him. Young receiver early in the draft (not rd1) and I think we should be fine. Lots of good backs and TEs on this team. The Jets are doing their best impression of the Texans trying to ruin David Carr. If they dont shore up his protection, they'll succeed. 

• Upvote 1

I still believe in Darnold. He has traits and skills you can't teach and we've all seen flashes. On a good team, with good talent around him he has extremely high potential.

That said

1) I am less confident he's "the guy" now than I was this time last year. I was expecting a massive leap. He didn't make one.

2) Sometimes his decision making is just baffling. I suppose in a season where the offensive line was sieve and he was talking about seeing ghosts it's a good thing that he hasn't had his confidence shaken but man, sometimes he just makes idiotic throws that blow your mind. For all the talk of how he's cut down the INTs he easily could have had 3+ yesterday.

3) His mechanics are still terrible and his deep ball accuracy seemed to take a step back this year.

I am still optimistic. Really want to see what Joe Douglas does this offseason. He's still 22 for crying out loud. But we really need to crush the offseason. We're saddled with Gase so I guess we need to get the right guys for "his system" we might as well go all in.

• Upvote 2