Tanny just ripped Darnold a new one.

Wonderboy

7 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Tanny was just on CBS late night sports and gave his evaluations of the Giants and Jets.  He commended Judge and the Giants for playing hard and heading in the right direction and called the Jets a massive dissapointment. He also stated what everyone in the football world has concluded: Gase has been unable to to provide the Jets with the leadership necessary to move forward.  "It just hasn't worked out as they planned".  And in respect to Darnold, where this gets good, Tanny said Darnold is not a franchise QB. He cited Darnold's propensity to make concerning mistakes at the pro level and is not surprised since his days at USC were just similar.  Asked if Gase and Darnold are in the Jets future, Tanny stated that decision would also fall on JD since he is the GM and its his responsibility.  According to Tanny, Gase and Darnold have the 2nd half of the season to move the needle and convince JD to retain them  I know many on here don't like Tanny but  he's spot on here.   Reading between the lines, Tanny has zero faith in Gase and Darnold and has serious question marks about JD as well.

I agree with him on Gase, hell who wouldn't . However , I'm thinking part of this might be sour grapes on his part since he was canned here. 

• Upvote 4

I thought Tanny was personally scouting Darnold since his Sophomore year, getting middle section tix, one row back so he could overhear his sideline demeanor...

...and was so convinced of his talent that he bypassed Mahomes and Watson to get a crack at him the following year? 

Sourgrapes is an understatement. 

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well he obviously has no clue what he is talking about because Gases future is not in the hands of Douglas and you need to go a LOT futher than 'it has not worked out' with Gase.

He is the worst coach in the league by a mile with the worst offense by a mile and he showed signs i being lousy with miami, we hired him anyway and passed on guys who do look good right now.

Tanny was being polite.  He's a former football exec so he's not as abrasive as the media folk or ex-players.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

I don't think there is ANYTHING that can happen the rest of the year that should change what needs to be done. No meaningless end of season wins that SAR will spend all off season gushing about should change anything. We see what this team is. 

Whatever Douglas is concluding is the problem today, whether it be Gase, Sam or both, that is what needs to change at the end of the season. 

Nothing, I mean NOTHING here on out changes what this team has been this season 

guillotine GIFs Search | Find, Make & Share Gfycat GIFs

Watermelon With Googly Eyes On White Background ...

Oh really?

• WTF? 1

The fact is, he started this sh*t show. From 2008 on, his drafting was straight up GARBAGE. No one should forget his culpability in this mess. Now, he's sitting back and pretending like he knows better. When the fact is, he was the FIRST one fired for incompetence.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

The fact is, he started this sh*t show. From 2008 on, his drafting was straight up GARBAGE. No one should forget his culpability in this mess. Now, he's sitting back and pretending like he knows better. When the fact is, he was the FIRST one fired for incompetence.

sh*tshow? 2009-2010 back to back AFC Championship games. Haven’t sniffed the playoffs since. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

There are a lot of old sayings that ring so true when you pass the age of 35 years old LOL. There's a reason for this. You can learn the most lessons from the best and worst teacher whose name is Experience.

If I only knew then what I know now!? Wow how true is that?

Your best girl, your favorite car, first time you bought a house, and if you have more than one, your first kid. Maybe that awesome job that didn't work out?

Life doesn't come with an instruction manual.

I actually like Mike Tannenbaum. I think he's probably wised up after 10 years away from his position. Just like Pete Carroll finally landed and found his place, I think Mike Tannenbaum could possibly make a comeback somewhere. He's got experience now.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

sh*tshow? 2009-2010 back to back AFC Championship games. Haven’t sniffed the playoffs since. 

09 & 10 were good years because of our drafting prior to 2008. The post you quoted was talking about his drafting since 2008 specifically. I mean there is virtually no one is want on this team from those draft classes. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

So the guy who paid Mark Sanchez thinks... 

I still firmly believe the following: Tanny never really wanted Tebow (nor did Rex)...  but made the deal when Woody Johnson pushed for it;

The "pacify Mark Sanchez because we hurt his feelings" ridiculous extension was also commanded (or, at a minimum, approved) by Woody.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Reading between the lines, Tanny has zero faith in Gase and Darnold and has serious question marks about JD as well.

No one in the Jets organization cares about Tannenbaum.  If they did, they'd have kept him instead of Ryan.  His opinion doesn't mean anything, just another ex-Jet with a grudge joining the pile-on for their 15 minutes of social media notoriety.

It is clear that this sell-off is a joint decision between Johnson, Douglas, and Gase.  Gase is a good head coach inheriting a crappy roster.  Last year, Bill Belichick was the greatest head coach of all time.  This year, he's worse than Adam Gase.  It's not the coaches.  It's the players.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

The Tanny hate here is overblown. We had a championship window and Tanny went all in. Ok, we didn't get a ring, but how can you critique the attempt?

Exactly.

What we are patterning ourselves after now are the Ravens and Steelers, two teams that are patient, rarely spend huge money in free agency, and draft very well.  What we patterned ourselves after back in 2009 was a get-rich-quick scheme and it almost worked.

The biggest mistake of the last decade was Woody Johnson's decision to stick with fan-favorite Rex Ryan and dump Mike Tannenbaum, Brian Schottenheimer, and Mark Sanchez.  History shows that the better decision would have been the opposite along with a real investment in the young quarterback.

SAR I

22 minutes ago, slats said:

Tanny+Rex > any other Coach and GM combo since the mid-80's, with the lone exception of Parcells.

Paying Sanchez, much as I opposed it, seems like a minimal sin looking at this sh*teshow today.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.

What we are patterning ourselves after now are the Ravens and Steelers, two teams that are patient, rarely spend huge money in free agency, and draft very well.  What we patterned ourselves after back in 2009 was a get-rich-quick scheme and it almost worked.

SAR I

I don't remember either the Ravens or Steelers ever looking the the Jets do this year and if they did their HC wouldn't be returning next year.

Keeping Gase this year set the Jets back at least a year. He should have been let go last year allowing a new coaching staff to start implementing their system now...would make new year much better with TL.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I still firmly believe the following: Tanny never really wanted Tebow (nor did Rex)...  but made the deal when Woody Johnson pushed for it;

The "pacify Mark Sanchez because we hurt his feelings" ridiculous extension was also commanded (or, at a minimum, approved) by Woody.

I'd like to think so because Tanny is a good guy and I liked him but if true, these allegations would have been somehow confirmed by now.  No one is that good a soldier to take that sort of blame to the grave.

So did Woody mandate the David Harris extension as well?  I don't think so.  I liked Tanny but he made some real bonehead moves.        

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

Also the guy who brought in Brett Favre, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Darelle Revis, David Harris, Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace, Braylon Edwards, Antonio Cromartie, Alan Faneca, and Damian Woody.

Some of the greatest Jets memories of my life are of teams that were built by Tanny. F*ck off with this "paid Sanchez" bullsh!t.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Yeah....The sh*t show started in 2008 with bad drafting.  We went to the 2009-10 AFC Championships on the back of okay drafts in 04 and 05 and solid drafts in 06 and 07

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Also the guy who brought in Brett Favre, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Darelle Revis, David Harris, Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace, Braylon Edwards, Antonio Cromartie, Alan Faneca, and Damian Woody.

Some of the greatest Jets memories of my life are of teams that were built by Tanny. F*ck off with this "paid Sanchez" bullsh!t.

Agreed, while Tanny made a few bonehead moves he was head and shoulders above the GM's that followed.  Jury is still out on JD.  

12 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Agreed, while Tanny made a few bonehead moves he was head and shoulders above the GM's that followed.  Jury is still out on JD.  

Tanny did well here for a while. HMs can go from hero to zero quickly. McCags won GM of the year his first year and look where he is now. Schneider in Seattle and the fate of the ATL GM after he won GM of the year 4 years ago are some good examples.

• Sympathy 1

Tanny was hands down the best GM we've ever heard, criminally disrespected by this fanbase just like anyone who has ever been successful here. Really is strange dynamic with Jets, they hate anyone that was good.  Love the worst of the worst.  So strange.  Literally no one in the history of this franchise brought more talent in during their tenure and it's legit, not close.

Anywho, he's right.  Gase is a tragic mistake and comically bad HC/leader/offensive mind.  Worst I've ever seen, legit.  Darnold is just a mega bust, just a terrible terrible Football player who is soft AF.  Little baby bitch boogie boarder. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

There are a lot of old sayings that ring so true when you pass the age of 35 years old LOL. There's a reason for this. You can learn the most lessons from the best and worst teacher whose name is Experience.

If I only knew then what I know now!? Wow how true is that?

Your best girl, your favorite car, first time you bought a house, and if you have more than one, your first kid. Maybe that awesome job that didn't work out?

Life doesn't come with an instruction manual.

I actually like Mike Tannenbaum. I think he's probably wised up after 10 years away from his position. Just like Pete Carroll finally landed and found his place, I think Mike Tannenbaum could possibly make a comeback somewhere. He's got experience now.

True but Pete had a winning record in his time with the Pats.

1 hour ago, Ben Had said:

I don't remember either the Ravens or Steelers ever looking the the Jets do this year and if they did their HC wouldn't be returning next year.

Keeping Gase this year set the Jets back at least a year. He should have been let go last year allowing a new coaching staff to start implementing their system now...would make new year much better with TL.

I don't remember the Ravens or Steelers flipping their GM's and HC's every 3 years and if they did their rosters would be as bad as the Jets.  These two teams are committed to front office consistency and smart drafting.  It's why they rarely have down seasons.  They may retool, they may have periods when they lose their QB, but otherwise they are steady-Eddies every year and are always one good draft and a few lucky bounces from the AFC Championship Game.

Gase is exactly what a team purposely executing a deep rebuild needs.  Someone who is even-keeled.  Someone who is unflappable against media attacks.  Someone who takes the body blows and protects his players.  An Alpha who knows what he wants and is decisive.

Gase isn't causing us to lose.  Mike Maccagnan is.  Gase may or may not be the right guy when we are ready to win again.  But for now, he's perfect.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1