Schefter- "Jets Joe Douglas expected to execute big trade"

Matt39

57 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Joe Douglas will exercise the fifth year option on Sam Darnold. If not because he wants to keep him, simply to give the illusion that he’s not taking a quarterback at number 2. I think there will be rumors of Cincinnati trading up from number 5 to take Sewell. That’s when the Douglas magic will take place and he will rob Miami blind to move up one spot so they can take the OT instead of Cincinnati. Douglas then gets his quarterback at number 3 anyway.

Sitting at number 3 and being so close to getting the premiere OT in this draft, and after trading away Laremy Tunsil, Miami will move up.

Couple problems here I think.

I don't see how Cincy's GM can ever trade up from 5 to 2 for a left tackle without committing career suicide.   So no rumour.

And why would Mia trade up to 2 for a bluff, when they could stay pat and get Sewell or a ransom for Fields.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

I think passing on a QB at 2 if you like Fields or Wilson is a huge mistake when we already have a ton of picks and a ton of cap space. Accumulating more picks when you already have a ton of picks doesn't make sense to me. You miss out on the cream of the crop QBs and end up with a team down the road that needs to mortgage future picks to grab the most important piece. However, If you keep Sam then you do it - its a no brainer. 

First of all, he doesn't have a ton of picks? In this draft he has 9 picks, just two extra. That's not a ton. After this season he has a few extra mid rounds picks. But a ton of picks? No. 

Also if the Jets drafted Fields or anyone else right now they'll be setting up said player for failure just like they did to Sammy. 

This team MUST have better talent because right now any QB would not be successful. There's simply way too little talent for any success.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

First of all, he doesn't have a ton of picks? In this draft he has 9 picks, just two extra. That's not a ton. After this season he has a few extra mid rounds picks. But a ton of picks? No. 

Also if the Jets drafted Fields or anyone else right now they'll be setting up said player for failure just like they did to Sammy. 

This team MUST have better talent because right now any QB would not be successful. There's simply way too little talent for any success.

We have two extra first round picks the next two years. An extra third this year plus whatever Darnold fetches in a trade.

Relative to most NFL teams - there is no arguing that’s a lot more draft capital. 

• Upvote 3

Going to just throw this out here, so please don’t shoot the message writer .
I find it interesting that we have really heard nothing about Morgan
and his progress or lack of , adjusting the pro game.
I would really like to know how he is doing and what JD who drafted him early feels about that choice.
If we do trade Sam and don’t take a QB at 2 and trade down and chose not to take Wilson with that trade down spot if he is there; does not Morgan become a serious factor along with what every veteran is there, to have a chance to be the starter ? An if that is the case have the Jets been keeping Morgan hidden away to allow him to move back and forth from the active roster to the practice squad without having to worry about losing him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Strange seeing Schefter make what seems like a speculative tweet like that. Douglas must be advertising both trade options to see what his max value is going to be.

Not much considering how many light years Josh Allen has acended above Darnold. The best we can hope for in max trade value is a handfull of magic beans.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Going to just throw this out here, so please don’t shoot the message writer .
I find it interesting that we have really heard nothing about Morgan
and his progress or lack of , adjusting the pro game.
I would really like to know how he is doing and what JD who drafted him early feels about that choice.
If we do trade Sam and don’t take a QB at 2 and trade down and chose not to take Wilson with that trade down spot if he is there; does not Morgan become a serious factor along with what every veteran is there, to have a chance to be the starter ? An if that is the case have the Jets been keeping Morgan hidden away to allow him to move back and forth from the active roster to the practice squad without having to worry about losing him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The scenario you described is a fantasy. Morgan is not a secret weapon. Douglas will not trade Darnold AND pass on a QB in the draft. How do people come up with this stuff?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

Couple problems here I think.

I don't see how Cincy's GM can ever trade up from 5 to 2 for a left tackle without committing career suicide.   So no rumour.

And why would Mia trade up to 2 for a bluff, when they could stay pat and get Sewell or a ransom for Fields.

Your second point is better than the first.  I agree, the third spot is very valuable as well.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

5) Most importantly - Teams like the Steelers that want to take a QB and considering taking one the late first or second will ask themselves one questions....What's more likely?  fixing Sam or developing the far less talented guy into into a FQB.

This doesn’t take into consideration the contractual aspect of either scenario, so it isn’t possible to value any of them. Sam will be getting a 2nd contract, and soon playing on that contract going forward with the new team. Anyone drafted in the 21 Draft will be on the rookie contract going forward <—— This really complicates any decision to choose Sam in these scenarios.

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Brees also retiring per Schefter.

Really?

JD: Hey Sean it’s JD

Sean: Hi JD. Wow so you hit that #2 pick you lucky dog.

JD: Yes thanks so since Brees has retired, how about we discuss a trade for Darnold?  

JD: Sean? Sean? Hello? Sean? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

SORE I walks into a psychiatrists office wearing only cellophane underwear.

The psychiatrist says “I can see you’re nuts”.

I've been meaning to ask you... Do you think this "SORE" stuff bothers him? I can't stand the guy but you go out of your way to reply to every single one of his post just to write "SORE!!" Everytime I read it I picture a 6 year old making fun of another kids name on the play ground. Maybe I'm wrong and its incredibly clever on your part but when you reply to ever single post just to change the name in his signature it just feels so... Lame, tbh. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

What’s the rush. You take Fields, trade the 26 or 33 for some xtra picks. You sit Fields for the first year, improve the roster. Mahomes SAT a year.  Picks and cash, by 2022, you have a competitive team on the uprise. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I've been meaning to ask you... Do you think this "SORE" stuff bothers him? I can't stand the guy but you go out of your way to reply to every single one of his post just to write "SORE!!" Everytime I read it I picture a 6 year old making fun of another kids name on the play ground. Maybe I'm wrong and its incredibly clever on your part but when you reply to ever single post just to change the name in his signature it just feels so... Lame, tbh. 

Yore not the only one.

2 hours ago, Vader said:

This doesn’t take into consideration the contractual aspect of either scenario, so it isn’t possible to value any of them. Sam will be getting a 2nd contract, and soon playing on that contract going forward with the new team. Anyone drafted in the 21 Draft will be on the rookie contract going forward <—— This really complicates any decision to choose Sam in these scenarios.

Of course is complicates the decision. but it would be a no brainer if it wasn't for that fact.

But you'll have a year to evaluate him - and make that call.  

Bur for sure it's not an easy decision but someone will make it and probably fork over a 2nd.

9 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

A number of things here..

1) Sam is 23

2) It's less than $10mm next year

3) Sam was considered a top flight prospect - He has all the skills to be a legitimate FQB

4) Gase and Tannehill

5) Most importantly - Teams like the Steelers that want to take a QB and considering taking one in the late first or second will ask themselves one questions....What's more likely?  fixing Sam or developing the far less talented guy into into a FQB.

I'll leave the "Sam stinks" out of my explanation.

You don't trade a 2nd for Sam because of Sam's contract situation.  

As a GM, you will look like an ass if you trade a two for Sam and he walks next year.  

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I think JD can at least get a first from the Steelers for Sam. And the Steeler fan base is behind such a move.

I know a lot of Steelers fans because I live near PA.  This is not true.  100% of the Steeler fans I know, think Sam sucks.