Why Is This Hiring Different From All Other Hirings?

BettyBoop

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Jets make history by hiring the first Muslim head coach ever in the NFL at the very moment Manish Mehta isn't allowed to cover him.

SAR I

how do you now he's muslim?  there are/were an awful lot of catholics in lebanon.  and frankly so what?  does anyone think he'd be able to get along with a slug like wilky if he was?

Hope springs eternal.  The guy is the anti-Gase.

Really, I'm more optimistic b/c poor Gase never should have been a HC.  I really believe he's autistic like my oldest son, who is Asperger's.  He's smart but lives in a bit of an OCD shell, in his own little world, at times.  Gase with his nose almost always in his clipboard sure looked like that, incapable of overseeing an entire team.

Saleh seems much more engaging, the kind of guy who can oversee it all.  I have no idea if he'll succeed, but there's no reason not to at least be hopeful, as Alexander Pope once wrote.

• Sympathy 1

This is different because:

1. Big mac was overpromoted. A scout in over his head. JD was more respected and was higher up. Jets win 

2. They corrected the Gase mistake. Jets win

3. They corrected the structure (who reports to who) and woody steps back. Jets win again

4. They took their time and interviewed many. No rushing. They got one of if not the most popular guys even though they let him walk initially. No scraps! Big win

5. finally this guy has had some success but man is he charming. Hes also way handsome. I know u dummies might not agree, but looks has a lot to do with success. People will believe in and swoon over a charming Good looking individual. On top of that he seems to know what he has talking about. Hes got that fire in the belly that has to change the culture of this team. If he has great success dont be surprised if this guys career goes off in other directions like TV spots and SNL. If he takes this team to the top hes going down as a NY legend like no other

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

There are accolades all over the league other teams brass, coaches, players, etc. saying this is a great hire. Did you hear that about Gase or Bowles?. I do not recall it. Plus JD doing the hiring as opposed to Casselry(Mac) and CJ(Gase) is much different. 

I do recall it when Bowles was hired.

15 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

1. Big mac was overpromoted. A scout in over his head. JD was more respected and was higher up. Jets win 

3. They corrected the structure (who reports to who) and woody steps back. Jets win again

4. They took their time and interviewed many. No rushing. They got one of if not the most popular guys even though they let him walk initially. No scraps! Big win

5. finally this guy has had some success but man is he charming. Hes also way handsome. I know u dummies might not agree, but looks has a lot to do with success. People will believe in and swoon over a charming Good looking individual. On top of that he seems to know what he has talking about. Hes got that fire in the belly that has to change the culture of this team. If he has great success dont be surprised if this guys career goes off in other directions like TV spots and SNL. If he takes this team to the top hes going down as a NY legend like no other

"It's to whom, brother!"

• Haha 1

Like drafting, hiring is a crap shoot.  So there's a lot to like about the Jets process this time but that doesn't mean they got the right guy.  But FWIW, here are some positives.

--we were told that JD would hire a coach he was familiar with.  But Saleh was new to him.  So maybe the interview process worked as advertised.

--Jets were one of the first to hire and--since Jacksonville went with Meyer--seemingly "won" the competition to get the top coordinator.

--Jets laid out the characteristics they were looking for--overall leadership, CEO type--and hired somewhat that meets the description.

We don't know what the reporting structure will be.  The current scheme can work--Seattle does it this way--but I am sure hoping JD is the boss.

Looking forward to the next few months.  Should be a lot of fun to watch.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, slats said:

I feel good about it because, like the Joe Douglas hire, the Jets seem to’ve landed their very first choice rather than executing plan K. That alone is reason for optimism. 

Plan K, that's rather generous. The Jets generally hover around Plan Q. Like sorting Halloween candy when you were a kid, they're not the apple with the razor in it but they sure are the box of Sun Maid raisins. I wouldn't shoot as high as a Baby Ruth just yet, but Butter Fingers is always a retrograde possibility.

16 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

Hope springs eternal.  The guy is the anti-Gase.

Really, I'm more optimistic b/c poor Gase never should have been a HC.  I really believe he's autistic like my oldest son, who is Asperger's.  He's smart but lives in a bit of an OCD shell, in his own little world, at times.  Gase with his nose almost always in his clipboard sure looked like that, incapable of overseeing an entire team.

Saleh seems much more engaging, the kind of guy who can oversee it all.  I have no idea if he'll succeed, but there's no reason not to at least be hopeful, as Alexander Pope once wrote.

Gase probably is on the spectrum.  

• Upvote 1

When Mangini was hired I was excited because he and Tannenbaum both seemed like smart guys. Rex, for all his bravado always seemed limited to me intellectually. Same with Herm. Bowles had no energy.  Now we have two really smart guys and Saleh also has the energy and leadership qualities to go with it. That’s why I haven’t been this excited since Parcels. 

• Upvote 1

My take, not that it actually matters.

This hire is different because I feel like we did get the CEO. I feel like we're getting what we had in Rex in 2009/10 before Rex started trying to pull his weight and selecting players. I feel that Saleh will be the coach and let JD do his thing... which by the way will be much better than Tannenbaum. Sure they'll talk philosophy, but I'm sure that conversation has already been made as well.

For some reason, These 2 guys ring much more confidence in me as a Jet fan. I think that even though his choice of DC just got promoted in SF, that he will find someone that he's confident in and will lead the entire team, not just the defensive side of the ball.

Because all of us know that Joe Douglas us in charge! The press wanted to squash our dreams by intimating the Johnson's had to sign off on the hire as if they had to approve. Joe Douglas told these twits from the beginning that he NEEDED 6 years for reason. Today, as we celebrate this hiring, Woody & Chris are also celebrating & are no doubt giddy of their new GM. He got one of the most sought after coaches available! 

Don't forget how he did it. He didn't sign Jordan Jenkins to a 3 year deal like many here wanted. He didn't sign Clowney, like many here wanted. He didn't bring in Logan Ryan like everyone wanted. His 1st draft pick was good. He traded back & got Mims. He got 2 firsts & a 3rd for Jamal Adams (maybe the best trade in Jets history) and he set up the new Coach with assets of both draft picks & cap dollars. 

Joe Douglas did something here that no one before him could do. Get these owners to just get out of the way please & let me do the job your paying me for. Now we have a team, a GM who hired the Head Coach. A symbiotic relationship. This won't be Robert Saleh DRAFTING his sons friends in the 6th round, or telling DTs before the draft if your there we're taking you. We have 1 guy in charge. We finally have a path to what the Jets will look like in the future. These guys together can transform this team & finally have an identity again. We've been floundering around rudderless for 10 years. 

Every coach seems to be a reaction against what the previous guy was.

Herm was too much of a players' coach so we brought in a discipline guy

Mangini was too reserved / quiet so we brought in a "heart on his sleeve" guy

Rex was too much of a loud mouth so we brought in a reserved guy

Bowles was too conservative / defensive minded so we brought in an "offensive mastermind"

Gase sucked at absolutely everything ... so hopefully this guy is now the Messiah! :D 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, section314 said:

Because we finally allowed the GM, who is a football guy, who has numerous contacts and relationships in the league, and is highly respected in league circles, make the most important decision a team has to make. 

Sometimes the explanation can be said in one sentence - exactly correct.

• Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, HighPitch said:

There's no life without hope...for a better future. The early signs are encouraging. A losing team HAS to improve, and it can't get any worse. 

But he'll have to put a good team together, and that's well beyond the scope of any one group of people. He'll need a bit of luck to get the right players on-board, he'll need a bit of luck to win games, he'll need something out of the ordinary to coincide with the upswing in the team's fortunes. 

Always remember: there's only so many good players, and only so many good coaches out there. And most are either unavailable or hidden within a crowd of mediocres. Can you find those guys?

All the best-intentioned plans fail to overcome the reality of meritocracy; which dictates that only a handful can be good at something, at any particular time. 

The Jets; throughout their history - have been sh*t out of luck - when it comes to finding quality people. And when they had them; they couldn't keep them: https://nypost.com/2020/11/10/bill-belichick-somehow-makes-infamous-jets-resignation-even-worse/

Skepticism is warranted. Hope, on the other hand, is necessary. It'll keep us alive. 

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

Every coach seems to be a reaction against what the previous guy was.

Herm was too much of a players' coach so we brought in a discipline guy

Mangini was too reserved / quiet so we brought in a "heart on his sleeve" guy

Rex was too much of a loud mouth so we brought in a reserved guy

Bowles was too conservative / defensive minded so we brought in an "offensive mastermind"

Gase sucked at absolutely everything ... so hopefully this guy is now the Messiah! :D 

The antithesis of what the previous guy was.

Personnel changes, across various industries, are always insanely reactive.