Jets in on OT Moses

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This. He's looking at Moses because of Becton. If he didn't like Fant at all he wouldn't have let another guarantee kick in back in March. It's because our hella-talented LT eats too many pizzas & has foot issues because of it that, for all we know today, might not be right this season. 

It's upsetting. He could be a great one. 

Yep, soft like baby poop. Damn shame. They need to bring in Moses. 

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yep, soft like baby poop. Damn shame. They need to bring in Moses. 

A positive sign for Becton, the Jets’ starting left tackle: He didn’t wear a brace on his foot while working through some minor form and footwork drills, as his teammates practiced.

But Becton — who is listed at 363 pounds — will have to monitor his weight this summer and fall if he wants to avoid aggravating his foot injury.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

make it happen JD!

Glenn, what is holdup?

Average to above average talent asking for stud salary OR is he just not that good?

I would think if above average at only 30 years old, this kind of guy we looking for based on what need is,,vet, knows game, can fill in at seconds notice if Husky foot acts up

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

We dont need moses. Becton is good and deserves time

what we need is smart drafting. Another OT next year and we are fine. When we make our run and are in our “window” then the high price vet pieces make sense not now

Normally agree with this (similarly I don’t think we need to sign a Vet CB). 

however in this case I think it’s smart given he wouldn’t take a spot from a rookie (just Fant). Fant is likely let go next year anyway. And Moses is a former captain, great locker room guy, with stud OL play on the right side. 

We can still draft a center or right guard high next year and keep building the OL.  And this creates quality depth if Becton goes down (whoever they send to Left Fant or Moses are better than current options) 

So I agree on your premise but you gotta take everything case by case  and in this one I think it makes the team better and doesn’t take away from development  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, THE BARON said:

That's Jimmy The Emu Clausen...

emu.jpg

I would be lying if I said Wilson’s face doesn’t have me worried. You ever see “Moneyball?” I’m one of those crusty scouts getting upbraided by Brad Pitt for basing assessments on whether a prospect has an ugly girlfriend. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Barton said:

How can the Jets not sign this guy, thats the real question. 

Oline sucked last year and all they've done is add a rookie left guard.

Cause we only have 3rd most salary cap in the league we’re broke! 

8 hours ago, Bronx said:

A positive sign for Becton, the Jets’ starting left tackle: He didn’t wear a brace on his foot while working through some minor form and footwork drills, as his teammates practiced.

But Becton — who is listed at 363 pounds — will have to monitor his weight this summer and fall if he wants to avoid aggravating his foot injury.

Becton needs to get down to 335. He needs to switch from Boston Cremes to munchkins. That alone will knock off 30 pounds by the season opener. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

....With a # 14 overall pick.  1 year removed from using a # 11 overall pick on a LT.  

I'm down to sign Moses, for sure.  But you'll be shocked how much better this OL looks if Wilson is any good at playing QB.  A huge reason it looked like it sucked last year was primarily because Sam Darnold sucked. 

In fact, you don't even have to wait that long.  If you were to look back at the games Flacco started, you'll see more than serviceable OL play.

exactly

some people here have Sam Darnold Syndrome. they think our QB cant succeed without all #1 pics on the OL, WR,RB...

if Becton and AVT are as good as we hope they will make the rest of the line better.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, doitny said:

exactly

some people here have Sam Darnold Syndrome. they think our QB cant succeed without all #1 pics on the OL, WR,RB...

if Becton and AVT are as good as we hope they will make the rest of the line better.

They'll make the line better, but if the right side collapses consistently that won't help. The O-line problem predates Darnold, and as 80 said the line looked serviceable. That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. More like an acknowledgement that it looked better without Darnold.

4 hours ago, doitny said:

exactly

Plus not running Gore the Dinosaur up the middle for 2-3 yards every play will help a lot.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I don't think it's a$ issue. Moses wants a starting T job and we don't have one to offer. To pay a premium to outbid others who could make him a starter for a backup just doesn't work. 

If they sign Moses, Becton is back at 100% by late August, and they don't see starting positions for all 3 (i.e. the #3 tackle would also be a downgrade at RG over the 4 other contenders), technically they could cut Fant. Not at all ideal, since they already guaranteed half his salary, but it's doable and would still save almost $4.5MM overall. They can't put a squeeze on Fant, like with Lewis or Crowder, because he's already got $4.5MM fully guaranteed. Alternatively he could be traded to a desperate team that loses its LT this summer to get out of most or all of it, if that opportunity presents itself.

Easy for us to say they should just pay it all anyway, even if he's a backup, because the cap space is there to do it. Except I don't think it goes over well on the team morale-wise to see a backup tackle making more than both starters (and about as much as both of them combined) without getting cut. Not after putting the squeeze on Lewis & Crowder before it's even determined they wouldn't be starting. It's avoidable bad optics internally that could lead to unnecessary drama.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Moses isn’t signing a 1 yr deal to play out of position. Dude is a RT 

Agreed. I was kind of hoping in a pinch he could play there when Becton got the rheumatism or sciatica flare up. Not suggesting Becton will miss a large part of the season. Holy hell , I hope not, 

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Larz said:

I’m sure he wants to start. He’ll probably wait to see where he can start 

Agreed.  Which is likely why the Bears are a big threat.  Since they let Leno go, it appers they want to keep Ifedi at RG, which means Elijah Wilkinson is penciled in as starting RT as of now..  Moses would be an immediate starter there. 

What concerns me about Moses to the Jets is his ability to thrive in our scheme.  He is a far better player than Fant, but does he have the athleticism to excel in zone blocking scheme.  I guess if we sign him, it means we believe he can make the transition and would be an upgrade over Fant.  I will trust JD's judgment on his fit.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

Glenn, what is holdup?

Average to above average talent asking for stud salary OR is he just not that good?

I would think if above average at only 30 years old, this kind of guy we looking for based on what need is,,vet, knows game, can fill in at seconds notice if Husky foot acts up

Or does he want to know what position the Jets have in mind and will he start

17 hours ago, HighPitch said:

We dont need moses. Becton is good and deserves time

what we need is smart drafting. Another OT next year and we are fine. When we make our run and are in our “window” then the high price vet pieces make sense not now

The problem with this plan is it presumes all the cap room will go to others' FAs when this magical day comes, and they'll all choose to come here because we waited for them and saved up $70MM in 2022 cap space, instead of a mere $63MM, before they start cutting dead weight.

I wouldn't write blank checks to anyone just because he's available, but the team has more than enough cap room not just now, but next year, and even more the year after that. 

The only reason to not sign Moses is if they don't think there's a starting spot for him this year. Becton's weight has put into question that there might be, and if the team believes this has big potential to be a problem this year, they can't wait two months to have their fears quelled, because Moses won't still be around then.

Though I may have just missed it, I don't recall seeing any reports of Douglas actually making an offer. So I do also allow the possibility that merely meeting with Moses (and commenting on it publicly) was a motivational tool for Becton to take his weight more seriously in actions not just words.

Signing Moses makes this OL into an average unit on paper right now with the only below average position being RG. If Becton and Vera-Tucker reach their potential this year, you are looking at a Top 10 unit. Plus signing Moses to a 2 year deal will allow the Jets to focus on more IOL in next year's draft. This potential signing would make this unit stronger now and in the future.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

23 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Crowder out, Moses in

This is where I'm at. I don't want to cut Crowder - but I'd rather ZW go into the year with Cole/Moore/Berrios filling in the slot role than have a bunch of games with McDermott at LT. I think everyone here is expecting Becton to miss a few games this year given he is already banged up and they haven't even put on the pads yet. Our line is back to full on sucking again if he is out - and I think that is a way worse situation than the drop off of Crowder to Berrios. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Crowder out, Moses in

I'm down.  Tell Moses whatever he needs to hear.  Tell him he will have the RT job while Fant plays LT because Becton is going to be out.  Or that he will start over Fant. 

Get him on board and in this system and he'll thrive more than he would in Chicago, even if he only ends up playing part of a season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Crowder out, Moses in

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

This is where I'm at. I don't want to cut Crowder - but I'd rather ZW go into the year with Cole/Moore/Berrios filling in the slot role than have a bunch of games with McDermott at LT. I think everyone here is expecting Becton to miss a few games this year given he is already banged up and they haven't even put on the pads yet. Our line is back to full on sucking again if he is out - and I think that is a way worse situation than the drop off of Crowder to Berrios. 

Why is it one or the other?

1 minute ago, shuler82 said:

Because then we might not  win the coveted ‘most unused cap space’ award for the 14th straight year

Woody and his self-appointed accountants on here approve this message!

• Upvote 1