Another newbie question: Why is it not: New Jersey Jets?

Hystorm

Pop Quiz (and be honest about naming the first thing that comes to mind):  

Name an NFL team that plays in Missouri.

Now that you've possibly mucked that one up, I think the answer lies in the City vs. the State.  Most (not all) NFL teams are named for the city they play in.  Both teams are New York City based originally.  At least that's my guess (the non-snarky one, anyway).  

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Vanity. The entire operation for the Jets, and I believe the Giants also, is located in NJ. Somehow if you put an NJ in front of the Jets or Giants name on TV they become an unwatchable joke or something.

al pacino film GIF

OK, I see now.

Thanks.

22 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yes, but if I asked to name an NFL team that plays in Kansas, I suspect a few would get to the same answer :).  

I'm curious how many might have come up with 'Rams' first.

Not if they passed Geography in Middle School 

• Haha 2

Somewhat off topic and pretty sure we’ve had a thread about what I’m going to say, but if the Jets ever changed their name or relocated outside of the NY/NJ area then that would be the tipping point for me. It would take some serious thinking on who I’d root for. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Actually the true answer is that the Jets and Giants have their Corporate offices in NYC which is why they still use NY for the team city.

Pretty sure Jets pulled out of NYC after the NYC corrupt politicians cheated them out of the WSS

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Pop Quiz (and be honest about naming the first thing that comes to mind):  

Name an NFL team that plays in Missouri.

Now that you've possibly mucked that one up, I think the answer lies in the City vs. the State.  Most (not all) NFL teams are named for the city they play in.  Both teams are New York City based originally.  At least that's my guess (the non-snarky one, anyway).  

The Missouri Mules. That would be a great NFL franchise

1 hour ago, Hystorm said:

The team's headquarters are in New Jersey is it not?

Thanks in advance.

Because they represent New York City.

Same way the "Washington" Football Team, who plays in Summerfield, Maryland, represents the City of Washington D.C.

I think if you looked, you'd find many NFL teams play someplace other than inside the City they represent.

But I'd wager you knew that already, and this was a troll.

• Upvote 2

They call themselves the NY Jets because they can.  

NJ residents either embrace it with pride or deny it's existence.  Neither position is warranted.  

I have no clue why is it not the New Jersey Jets.   I suspect the Jets and Giants owners are in the camp of denial of NJ existence when they aren't filing tax returns.