Am I alone in still being excited?

JohnnyLV

Each game is a small sample size, the first two were almost mirror images of each other and I’m not sure the Jets have played a good offense yet. I think one of the nice things about how different both games were is we’ve seen Wilson play well and the supporting cast play well so it’s not like any part of the team looks entirely incompetent.

I’m excited younger guys are playing. I think we’ll have a decent feel for what they’ve acquired the last couple of seasons by the end of the year and then the team has assets to build from there. Also excited there seem to be some decent players at non premium positions from later draft picks.

Guys need to emerge and play more consistently by the end of the year for me to be optimistic. There’s a chance that happens and a chance things get ugly. The big thing I was concerned about pre-draft was whether this was a suitable situation for a young QB and I’m not there yet. But if the OL can keep run blocking like last week I think it’ll be a big help.

• Upvote 4

I have to be honest, the first two games did not diminish my enthusiasm over this team and for this year.
Did Zach suck on Sunday? Yeah but it was through over-aggression not cluelessness and that can be improved upon. 
But there were a lot of  positives Sunday
Our OL was noticeably better.
Our defense was decent to good.
Our secondary seems to be the least of our issues as opposed to the biggest
Special teams is solid
Ammendola missed a long one but seems like he could be a long term solution
We used Ty and MC1 more as it should be and ran well
I still feel we are a much better team than last year but with so many young parts it will take a while.
Anyone else with me or am I just a hopeless homer?

I’m kinda sorta with you. I get angry when we lose obviously, however after blindlessly and homerishly saying we would go 10-7 or gulp 11-6 and after watching these 2 games. I’m actually ok. Which is surprising, but we are young. I believe we do have some talent and pieces to build upon. How I’m an optimist when it comes to this team year after year I will never know… I know the shoes gonna drop. It always does.. but sometimes I think maybe it won’t this time. Any way. I’m with you. I’m down with the ride and believe things are going to look up soon

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I have to be honest, the first two games did not diminish my enthusiasm over this team and for this year.

My enthusiasm/hope has taken a hit.  Hard to see what we saw and still be just as excited as we were before the first snap of the season.

With that said, I remain hopeful, and have consistently said that 2 games simply isn't enough to form a legitimate view of the future of the JD/Saleh regime.

At year end, I think we'll have enough to start making real, solid criticisms and opinions.  Till then, I plan to just root for better and offer opinions in the moment as they come.

• Upvote 4

As I wrote in another thread on this subject:

I cannot believe I am saying this but I am far more optimistic for this season and the rebuild than I was at the beginning of the year.  Seriously. 

I thought that our light fast young defense was going to have serious issues.  I doubted that we would be able to stymie power running attacks unless we went heavy and then they are dictating the action . . . and we are off our game.  I expected backs to blast right up the middle for scores.  So far, I have seen only one and we had lots of chances to stop him.  Plus the defense was gassed due to playing - and playing well - the entire first quarter.

I honestly thought that installing the matchup zone with so many young players was doomed to horrid results in the short term.  I expected lots of blown coverage - so far, I have seen one. 

I honestly think that Saleh and Ulbright can look us in the face.  Truly.  I never expected it so early in the season and playing so many late draft picks.  He is making a silk purse out of a sows ear and it is highly encouraging. 

I thought it highly unlikely that Zach would be far better than his scouting report.  So far, he is as advertised.  An inexperienced gunslinger with a ton of arm talent who is not ready.  So far, I see exactly what I expected.  So I am not less optimistic there either.

Now that I have watched AVT have a decent game, I am calming down a bit about him.  As I have said, he had best work out - he was very expensive.  Well, he is working out.  Remember, when the season began - I had not seen him play.  The breakdowns last week on his part were mental and physical.  On one play, he got Zach creamed.  Not this week.  I saw no mistakes and his run blocking was solid.  

Then there is the undeniable tap dancing whilst the western outlaw shoots at your feet.  The repeated injuries - three starters lasted less than one quarter last week - led to a tossed salad defense thrown together on the fly.  I got news for you fellas.  That defense played well enough to win in both weeks.  With triple trash Phillips at the MIKE.  From where I stand, the new coach has stood on his head.  The play of the young corners Hall, Echols, Carter and Guidry is undeniable.  They play with discipline too.  Few stupid interference penalties.

I try to be fair and all is not roses. 

I grow depressed watching the Jets field four starters on the offensive line who are unlikely to start for us next year.   They constitute wasted snaps which should have been given to a young draft pick.   Fant and McGovern are under contract but can be cheaply bought out and we will.  Moses will leave and GVR is a backup.  

Even if we still had Becton, Lewis, Clark and McDermott we would still be playing two guys - McGovern and Moses/Fant who are almost certainly goners.  We needed some more young talent and now we are caught short.  

I worry that the Jets will refuse to sit Zach when he reaches the point I saw with Sanchez and Smith.  When I knew we had to get them out of the game or damage them.  The scouting report said they were not ready.  Said the same about Sam too.  Zach really does need to sit.  One poster said that last week was Zach's "hot stove" game.  That he touched a red hot stove (threw it into coverage) and will not do it again (play boring).  I sure hope so. 

Nevertheless, on the whole I am more optimistic than I was at the beginning of the year.  The defense is showing signs it is ready to compete right now and a 5th round pick (Carter) and a 6th round pick (Echols) are holding their own as starters - pinch me).  The safeties change like models on the runway yet they hold their own.  Some guys who were here are already gone - Redwine - and new dudes off the cut pile are headed into the game.   Yet it is winning defense.  We are putting up a fight and this bodes well for our coach.  This is what  he said he would deliver.  So far, GREAT!

I expected a work in progress and I would like to see some more point scored (wouldn't we all).  Do I think we will beat Denver in Mile High?  No.  21-10 sounds about right.  If you had asked me before game one, I would have guessed 35-14.  I had little faith in our defense.  That has changed.  If the offense plays better - read Zach - we could win 14-13.  The defense is competing.    

• Upvote 4

As I wrote in another thread on this subject:
I cannot believe I am saying this but I am far more optimistic for this season and the rebuild than I was at the beginning of the year.  Seriously. 
I thought that our light fast young defense was going to have serious issues.  I doubted that we would be able to stymie power running attacks unless we went heavy and then they are dictating the action . . . and we are off our game.  I expected backs to blast right up the middle for scores.  So far, I have seen only one and we had lots of chances to stop him.  Plus the defense was gassed due to playing - and playing well - the entire first quarter.
I honestly thought that installing the matchup zone with so many young players was doomed to horrid results in the short term.  I expected lots of blown coverage - so far, I have seen one. 
I honestly think that Saleh and Ulbright can look us in the face.  Truly.  I never expected it so early in the season and playing so many late draft picks.  He is making a silk purse out of a sows ear and it is highly encouraging. 
I thought it highly unlikely that Zach would be far better than his scouting report.  So far, he is as advertised.  An inexperienced gunslinger with a ton of arm talent who is not ready.  So far, I see exactly what I expected.  So I am not less optimistic there either.
Now that I have watched AVT have a decent game, I am calming down a bit about him.  As I have said, he had best work out - he was very expensive.  Well, he is working out.  Remember, when the season began - I had not seen him play.  The breakdowns last week on his part were mental and physical.  On one play, he got Zach creamed.  Not this week.  I saw no mistakes and his run blocking was solid.  
Then there is the undeniable tap dancing whilst the western outlaw shoots at your feet.  The repeated injuries - three starters lasted less than one quarter last week - led to a tossed salad defense thrown together on the fly.  I got news for you fellas.  That defense played well enough to win in both weeks.  With triple trash Phillips at the MIKE.  From where I stand, the new coach has stood on his head.  The play of the young corners Hall, Echols, Carter and Guidry is undeniable.  They play with discipline too.  Few stupid interference penalties.
I try to be fair and all is not roses. 
I grow depressed watching the Jets field four starters on the offensive line who are unlikely to start for us next year.   They constitute wasted snaps which should have been given to a young draft pick.   Fant and McGovern are under contract but can be cheaply bought out and we will.  Moses will leave and GVR is a backup.  
Even if we still had Becton, Lewis, Clark and McDermott we would still be playing two guys - McGovern and Moses/Fant who are almost certainly goners.  We needed some more young talent and now we are caught short.  
I When I knew we had to get them out of the game or damage them.  The scouting report said they were not ready.  Said the same about Sam too.  Zach really does need to sit.  One poster said that last week was Zach's "hot stove" game.  That he touched a red hot stove (threw it into coverage) and will not do it again (play boring).  I sure hope so. 
Nevertheless, on the whole I am more optimistic than I was at the beginning of the year.  The defense is showing signs it is ready to compete right now and a 5th round pick (Carter) and a 6th round pick (Echols) are holding their own as starters - pinch me).  The safeties change like models on the runway yet they hold their own.  Some guys who were here are already gone - Redwine - and new dudes off the cut pile are headed into the game.   Yet it is winning defense.  We are putting up a fight and this bodes well for our coach.  This is what  he said he would deliver.  So far, GREAT!
I expected a work in progress and I would like to see some more point scored (wouldn't we all).  Do I think we will beat Denver in Mile High?  No.  21-10 sounds about right.  If you had asked me before game one, I would have guessed 35-14.  I had little faith in our defense.  That has changed.  If the offense plays better - read Zach - we could win 14-13.  The defense is competing.    

I feel as though if Zach has these games where he throws 3 or 4 picks. Leave him out there. My opinion is let him go through it. He seems to have confidence ( next play mindset) he doesn’t seem insecure, lack of confidence (Sanchez) and I don’t believe he’s seeing ghosts (Darnold) he would be better for it in the long run. Unless of course THIS year is about making the playoffs, than by all means take him out,throw whoever the backup we got in there

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Did Zach suck on Sunday? Yeah but it was through over-aggression not cluelessness and that can be improved upon. 

Special teams is solid

I still feel we are a much better team than last year but with so many young parts it will take a while.

We are beating Denver this weekend causing major havoc in survivor pools. 

• Sympathy 4

I'm not sure excited is the word.  Zach looks worse than I expected and all the worries of rookie coaching staff w/ rookie QB has played out.  I guess it's exciting that the silver lining is another top 3 pick which is neat and stuff but I'm not excited to watch the Jets get blown out on Sunday and more than likely go 2 straight games without scoring one of those TD thingies.

Edit: I'm still hopeful though that this is the right regime.  What choice do I have?  Rail and cry and pine for the days of Adam Gase?  I'll leave that for the smooth brains. 

• Upvote 3

This is going to be a long year similar to last. The hope is Wilson looks good moving forward. The 2020 draft being a swing and a miss was close to a death blow. It's impossible to get better when you draft that poorly and honestly, a hard look at Douglas should happen this offseason. That draft was a must, he had months to prepare for it and he blew it. Totally unacceptable coming off the Maccgnan disaster.

You hope Moore, Carter, AVT start every game and produce. Moore needs to take a play to the house for me to get excited. The sharks are smelling blood right now and a rookie really, really needs to make a big play imo.

Here is my rationalization, this "all gas no breaks" QB/Coach combination I figure will run into a few walls at high speed in this first year. Now if this is happening while we are playing "conservative" ball, it'll be worrisome. And if it is happening in second and or third years I'll be reaching for the bottle. 

So yes, I'm still excited. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Special teams is solid

I think the problem is that people are burnt out on the concept of rebuilding. While some people are being unreasonable, like a person who's been passed around and is now scarred, it's understandable with the way the team has been run. If the Jets get better each week they'll come around. They're looking for the bad, and understandably during the first two weeks of this newest version of the Jets they don't have to look hard, but they should have expected a slow start. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I think the problem is that people are burnt out on the concept of rebuilding. While some people are being unreasonable, like a person who's been passed around and is now scarred, it's understandable with the way the team has been run. If the Jets get better each week they'll come around. They're looking for the bad, and understandably during the first two weeks of this newest version of the Jets they don't have to look hard, but they should have expected a slow start. 

Pretty much this. I'd be happy with this iteration of the "rebuild" if the 2020 draft wasnt completely boned. It's the same sh*t. GM's who have no idea how to identify players. 

WRT "the oline played better".  I also thought that watching the game, and I'm sure they did, compared to game 1.  But if you watch the cutups of Zach's game, there's still a huge fraction of his plays where there are free runners, he's getting hit as he throws it, etc.  

I think our oline is still a huge liability.  I would be more excited if I had some hope for it to improve in the near term...  Maybe it will, as they at least learn to work together...

• Upvote 2