Do you think JD is basically done with FA?

There are quite a few guys left who could be had on cheaper deals that are worth looks. I think he may take a shot or two on guys like that but I don't expect any big names like Mathieu or Gilmore. I'd expect someone like Hurst, Conklin, Rashad Penny, Marlon Mack, Patterson etc

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm sure there will still be some small signings but do you think JD is done signing (non-ST) starters?   I'd still like to add a LB (though I have no idea who is still out there).

They started with 44M in cap space and need 14M for rookies. Average yearly salaries  for Uzomah, Reed, Tomlinson, and Berrios add up to over approximately 40M alone and they also signed Whitehead and Sheppard. Depending on how they’re structured we may have to make some cuts before the draft. I think we’re done with FA. 

• Upvote 3

Besides a little 1 year contract here and there for lower tier guys, pretty much. And I’m fine with that. Me hoping for a blockbuster deal for a vet like Chandler Jones was always going to be pie in the sky.

I’m more than satisfied with what he managed to pull off.

Now let’s see where we go in late April.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Yea, maybe just some lower profile guys and a trade for Davante Adams.

Davante Adams is small potatoes. I say its time for Joe to think big !

How about a deal for Antonio Brown. Just what the team needs to spice up the locker room. I hear his strip tease act got rave reviews in the Jersey Tabloids.

We will do something at WR at a minimum.  Cole does not seem to have a big market so we could maybe get him for less than last year. Laviska Shenault might be avaiilable. I might look into that. Always possible the winner of the Sexual Predator sweepstakes needs draft capital so there might be an opportunity there

• Upvote 1

I’m hoping JD can sign Allen Robinson. There are a couple of cuts we could make and possibly pay him 15-17mil. Zach needs a true #1. This is the big change the Jets need. Our WR room just isn’t good enough as it stands. A stud WR will make everyone else better 

5 hours ago, jetsjets said:

I’m hoping JD can sign Allen Robinson. There are a couple of cuts we could make and possibly pay him 15-17mil. Zach needs a true #1. This is the big change the Jets need. Our WR room just isn’t good enough as it stands. A stud WR will make everyone else better 

Jets are likely going to go WR in the draft. Additionally, I do not think there is a chance, even if the jets were interested, Allen Robinson goes to a team where the QB situation is iffy. He's been playing with low end passers for his whole career...and last year probably cost him at least 5-6 million a year and a shot at top 5-10 money. Unless a team is willing to pay him based on his 2019-2020 numbers, I can see him taking a 1 year deal with a proven passer to drive up his price in his age 29 season.

• Upvote 3

once the first few days of free agency settle down, a few players will fall through the cracks and the jets will be active. I'd look for another veteran LB, TE, S, CB. I think the jets will do everything they can to go into the draft looking for BPA and not to plug holes.

• Upvote 1

He better not be done.  He still needs to address the glaring weakness at WR.    Tomlinson and Uzomah are OK, but they’re not really changing the trajectory of this offense.  He needs to secure another vet WR prior to the draft.  There’s absolutely no depth at the position.   

We basically have 14 mil left, and we need 15 mil for rookies.  So there will be cuts in the next few days or so. 

GVR, Griffin and Rankins will get us like ~12 mil in cap room.   That leaves us about 11 mil to play with.  Most GMs like having a 4-5 mil cushion during the season, so that gives us about 6 mil to work with.

I suspect thats going to be 1 or 2 day 4-5 depth/ST vet/locker room guys. 

Now, we could restructure Mosley's horrible contract and get some more room, but that's always risky business longterm.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I wouldn't mind a veteran OT to fill Moses' slot. Not confident in Edoga.

Edoga is behind McDermott, who was just re-signed. But both suck anyway. There are better swing tackles around than either of them, and (unless the injury came to the starting RT) probably better than Moses, if the goal is as little interruption to the other 4 along the OL. 

I think they’d like to swap LDT to take GVRs roster spot, but not at any price, and it’s likely LDT is in no rush to sign on to be a definite backup if he’s going to again put his medical career on hold. 

Other than that, I’m hoping for a C prospect in rounds 3 or 4 who’d take over for McGovern next season (or this season if needed for injury), and said rookie could further provide G depth as well this year. 

As far as tackles who can backup both sides? I’ve had my eye on a few and they’re all still available.