The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

56 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Jet Nation's obsession with all thing Mayfield and all things Giants is bordering on clinical....

The Big Mouth QB is using his Big Mouth to have the back of his fellow Big Mouth WR by trashing his former team.

Is that a surprise?  Do we care?  Should we care? 

And why should we care if he "shuts up"?  Let him talk, if it distracts him from play on the field, that only helps us.  So let him yap all he wants.

yep.  the question is 'how will mayfield take losing?'  the browns may be a very successful team this season.  they're in a declining division and have compiled some very talented players.  but what happens when the going gets tough/ . is mayfield going to do his part to stop the losing or is he going to be playing the blame game?  beckham has that game down pat.

43 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Im surprised the red headed stepchild fans on this board do not open a thread everytime mayfield takes a dump.

If they did you would still open it and still complain about it. So basically they are giving you a reason to exist. We all play our part. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If they did you would still open it and still complain about it. So basically they are giving you a reason to exist. We all play our part. 

They give me a reason to exist?  Hahahahahaha.

This thread is awful.  The red headed stepchild complex that most here have is embarassing.  

I'm not sure about this, but isn't this article a few months old? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember us talking about it before.

No harm though, it's a slow day, and nothing fires up the troops like a chance to pile onto Mayfield or the Giants, lol. This year we play both of them during the regular season. It'll be crazy around here those two weeks!

1 hour ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

Joe Namath never degraded his opponents, he just guaranteed a win. Big difference.

1969 cultural norms.

2019 cultural norms.

Is this really that hard for some to understand?

I get we (myself included) have ALOT of "old man shakes cane at cloud" types here at JN, but come on, even I get it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Legend Killa7 said:

can you imagine if this a$$ clown was our QB and said that?  oh man....it would be like Rex 2.0!  "yeah the Jets will be the best football team in NY for the next 10 years"  less than 1 yr later midgets win SB.  yeah thanks Rex!

who needs that crap?  just shut up and play!

can you imagine if this a$$ clown was our strong safety with one career interception and talked too much?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Legend Killa7 said:

can you imagine if this a$$ clown was our QB and said that?

Not saying he should’ve said it, but if he was a Jet and took shots at the Jints or Cheats, people would be lapping it up here. That’s just fandom for you.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

Unfortunately, I was not alive for Namath, but different times, man.  Namath would not have lasted in this day and age.  Sucks for these guys that they are held to such high standards, but it is what it is.

Agree to disagree, in the THIS age, with today's medicine, Namath's good looks, chutzpah and charisma and arm......dear Lord, he'd be a massive star.  Maybe THE most massive star.  

as for the "obsession" with Baker and giants:  I don't think there's an obsession with Baker.  people just talk about what's happening in the NFL.  Last night, Jimmy G had a terrible game.  there is now a thread here about that.  obsession?  Baker keeps running his mouth.  when he does, there is a thread on here.

A thread about Baker talking is akin to a thread about water being wet.  After a while it's like "yeah....and?"

now the midgets is a different story.  whether you like to believe it or not, we are the "little brother" to the giants.  sucks, but until the Jets start winning some SBs, you really got nothing to say to a giants fan.  

I'm so sad for you that you see yourself, and your fandom, as somehow "lesser" than that of Giants Fans.

I am no other fan's "little brother".  I am so glad I moved away from New York before this kind of attitude could set in.

Hard to root for a loudmouth like Mayfield, especially at the QB position, and especially when the guy hasn't accomplished anything of significance in the NFL as of yet.  Good thing that I not only don't have to root for him, but instead get to root for someone who is the exact opposite of him.  Amen. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

can you imagine if this a$$ clown was our strong safety with one career interception and talked too much?

again there is "talking" about yourself (i.e. Namath and Jamal - We will win SB, I guarantee it, WE need dogs, etc) and there is "talking s#$t" (i.e. baker).  when has Jamal said something like what Baker keeps doing?  going out recruiting Bell, and talking about how we need better players is not the same thing.

• Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

again there is "talking" about yourself (i.e. Namath and Jamal - We will win SB, I guarantee it, WE need dogs, etc) and there is "talking s#$t" (i.e. baker).  when has Jamal said something like what Baker keeps doing?  going out recruiting Bell, and talking about how we need better players is not the same thing.

Saying we need better players is also saying the players we have aren't good enough.

But, that's hardly the point...

I'm not pretending that what Mayfield said isn't worse than what Jamal has said, but I'm also not pretending that it's the words, and not the jersey, that's the actual reason why what Mayfield says is bad and Adams says is good.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Also, Warfish is right. The Mayfield stuff has reached pathological levels.

Actually when you bring it on yourself, well.

Find him amount so far.  If he trips up will get interesting.

Interesting that no one has an issue with all the AB stories and threads. 

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agree to disagree, in the THIS age, with today's medicine, Namath's good looks, chutzpah and charisma and arm......dear Lord, he'd be a massive star.  Maybe THE most massive star.  

A thread about Baker talking is akin to a thread about water being wet.  After a while it's like "yeah....and?"

I'm so sad for you that you see yourself, and your fandom, as somehow "lesser" than that of Giants Fans.

I am no other fan's "little brother".  I am so glad I moved away from New York before this kind of attitude could set in.

Namath:  I agree with the stuff you said, but I am referring to the lifestyle stuff.  It's like Mickey Mantle and the drinking.  wouldn't fly today.  everyone has a cell phone camera these days, everyone is so sensitive these days, etc.

YOU'RE sad???  I'M FRIGGIN' SAD!!!  listen I have said multiple times on this board that my whole family, my friends, pretty much everyone I know is a giants fan.  and they torture me!  when we had Rex and he wrote the book and proclaimed Jets would be best NY team for 10 years and then the midgets win a SB - how do you think that went over?  I didn't say that!!!  but I had to back it up...and PAY for it.  I got texts with a cartoon caption of an older brother in a giants shirt with his arm around his little brother (in a Jets shirt) and the caption read: "don't worry lil brother - we took care of those Pats for ya!"  now how do you respond to that???  

that's why I was so thrilled we got Sam.  he does things the "right" way, and he sure SEEMS to be legit on the field.  I know he's a work in progress, but he's our great hope!  and until the Jets start winning some SBs, every time I see one of my idiot friends or a family member and they hold up 4 fingers......I mean sure I can hold up my middle finger, but I sure would rather have some actual ammo!!

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The obsession with Baker Mayfield on here is borderline unhealthy.

It’s understandable Jet fan insecurity that maybe we missed out on the right guy (again).

For what it is worth, my gut tells me that Macc had Darnold and Rosen on his big board in that order. Just don’t think we were getting Mayfield unless Sam and Rosen went 1-2. I do think Macc did not want Allen. Big-armed QB with accuracy issues. Macc didn’t like that music the first time he danced to it.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I like how half the article is just taking shots at Beckham, who has nothing whatsoever to do with this story, capped off by this gem:

“Beckham has done nothing but lose, except for that one time he went to the playoffs, but uhh that doesn’t count.”

Eh, I mean the Giants had a losing overall record with Beckham. 

For the insane amount of hype he gets, you would think he was truly a “game-changer” for them, and yet, their W/L record with him seems to indicate that he was not.

The Browns are a bit mouthy a bit too soon. 

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Saying we need better players is also saying the players we have aren't good enough.

But, that's hardly the point...

I'm not pretending that what Mayfield said isn't worse than what Jamal has said, but I'm also not pretending that it's the words, and not the jersey, that's the actual reason why what Mayfield says is bad and Adams says is good.

I disagree.  really - what has Jamal said?!?!?  I mean really....there was an article the other day about how he stayed after the green and white scrimmage till the very end to sign every last autograph!  video of it too!  Metlife is EMPTY - there are like a dozen people there and he's still signing.  the guy is a good dude!  Baker is a jerk.  and I have said if he was on the Jets, I'd be rooting for him because he's wearing a Jets uniform.  but I'd be cringing every time he opened his mouth, had a press conference, etc.

better comparison is Baker to OBJ.  and I wouldn't want that jerk on my team either.

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

For the insane amount of hype he gets, you would think he was truly a “game-changer” for them, and yet, their W/L record with him seems to indicate that he was not.

The Browns are a bit mouthy a bit too soon. 

It’s a team sport. Sam Darnold is also a loser by your criteria.

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The Lions went 49-86 with Calvin Johnson on the roster.

• Post of the Week 1