Sam Darnold has Mono: MERGED

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

It’s much worse for adults as far as I know.

Particularly pro athletes for some reason.  Like I said, it's a strange disease that is usually fine after a few weeks, but can lead to some very bad, long lasting outcomes. Particularly when there is a strong cardiovascular component.

It's very scary in the cycling world for instance.

14 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

A kid I played football with in college missed a full season, and wasn’t right for two years.

Wow.. it went through our high school and getting it was like winning the lottery. It was like chicken pox without the itching

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Nobody has said that... Gase said that they have no idea how long and its going to probably be a few weeks and glad he has an early bye

They've said he's definitely going to miss "multiple weeks." That could easily turn into multiple months, given that the recovery period for mono varies and that the Jets are going to play it safe with their young franchise QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Nobody has said that... Gase said that they have no idea how long and its going to probably be a few weeks and glad he has an early bye

Just now, BroadwayRay said:

They've said he's definitely going to miss "multiple weeks." That could easily turn into multiple months, given that the recovery period for mono varies and that the Jets are going to play it safe with their young franchise QB.

Kinda what I mean. They’re handling this weird and they’ve shown a propensity to be FOS on every front so far.

12 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I thought that was something teenagers got. Darnold is young but not that young. 

I got it in my early twenties. It happens.

And I understand the disappointment that he'll be missing some games. However it's necessary. Mono causes the appendix to expand. Any hit in a football game could cause his to burst, which could potentially be fatal.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Kinda what I mean. They’re handling this weird and they’ve shown a propensity to be FOS on every front so far.

what is weird?  they said he'd miss multiple weeks.  that's at least the next 2 games.  then there's a bye.  since there's such a variance in recovery times from case to case they really can't predict with better accuracy.

27 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

He’s awful.  But, and this is first and foremost right now...awful to watch.

At least it would be somewhat fun for the fans if the Jets could throw a strong armed kid in there who throws it all over the yard maybe hits a couple bombs for TDs and I wouldn’t even care if he gets picked 6 times.

But to not only know you’re going to lose AND have to be subjected to having some rag arm play....Pure Jets all the way.

it's too painful to think about

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

I got it in my early twenties. It happens.

And I understand the disappointment that he'll be missing some games. However it's necessary. Mono causes the appendix to expand. Any hit in a football game could cause his to burst, which could potentially be fatal.

Appendix or spleen?

Lot's of Diagnosis Talkin' Guys in this thread I've lost track.