Jets Have Some Interest in Dalton

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I will admit I had never seen this before so I just went and watched.  Lol is all I can say.  Then I went down a 20 minutes rabbit hole about the history of the meme itself.  This is my life these days 

How do you look up a meme?

32 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

So let me get this right. The Jets cannot sign Andy Dalton because he's too good. When Darnold has one bad game the insecure Darnold fans will be worried what the Darnold Doubters will say on a message board if Andy Dalton is backing him up...Which means we'll have to limit the pool of candidates for the Jets backup QB/mentor to old career backups.

image.gif

• Sympathy 1

Lets not forget JD did not draft Sam and to this point Sam has yet to establish himself. On top of that, a 4th round QB tsaken  AND talk of interest in Dalton? Hmmmmm.

Whats Jetworld lke if they do sign Dalton and Sam and the Jets start out 2-6, with picks outnumbering TDs?  He will def be looking over his shoulder

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Per Cimini

The Jets have some level of interest in former Bengals QB Andy Dalton, a source said. At this point, it has been characterized as due diligence. They could be looking to solidify the position, as their only experienced backup is David Fales (zero... es.pn/2Ss66LN

Well at least no chance are #1 or #2 QB sell their souls to devil this time. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If Bill Belichick has serious interest in Andy Dalton then I can't imagine Dalton not going to the Pats.  Why would he want to be a backup QB for an Adam Gase-run team over a starting QB for a Bill Belichick-led Pats team? 

I agree...just speculating.  Dalton makes sense for the Pats. 

JD contacting Dalton and his agent is probably just doing his due diligence.  Just feeling them out.

Sam has missed time each of his two seasons, and if we need a back-up to play 2 or 3 games for us this season, I would rather it be Dalton than Morgan or Fales.

If the price is right on a one year deal, Dalton backing up Sam, while Morgan is 3rd string, that works for me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

4 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

Maybe JD thinks BB has serious interest in Dalton?  Wants to block Belichick...while at the same time...seriously upgrading the QB position for this year.  Who knows.

Morgan is probably going to be just holding a clipboard for now.  And can't be seriously counted on to be a viable backup until next year. 

Just speculating here.

If Belichick wants him, with that roster, their/his history and a starting job a possibility, Dalton runs to NE.  There isnt a chance he picks the backup to Darnold job over it

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Can't see it but I wouldn't hate it. Our season was over before it started last year because of the trash we had behind Sam. 

I'd probably look to get a less expensive backup though. Dalton is the sort of guy you'd bring in to compete for a starting spot and that's not on offer regardless of how he plays.

If Sam doesn't show progress this year then this is exactly the type of guy I'd bring in in 2021 for a straight competition.

I'm Darnolds biggest fan and I would welcome dalton but he will cost to much i would guess.  Might be worth it to try and get a comp pick next year?

In any case, drafting a guy in the 4th round and then getting dalton would be sketchy imo.

• Sympathy 1

The only way I would add a Dalton or Flacco is if they want to take a ridiculously cheap Jameis Winston type of deal for a year.

Otherwise, spend the money elsewhere.

Hell, go pick up someone like Matt Moore for peanuts if you want to give Morgan a year of seasoning.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Lets not forget JD did not draft Sam and to this point Sam has yet to establish himself. On top of that, a 4th round QB tsaken  AND talk of interest in Dalton? Hmmmmm.

Whats Jetworld lke if they do sign Dalton and Sam and the Jets start out 2-6, with picks outnumbering TDs?  He will def be looking over his shoulder

If the o line is not as porous as last year and plays well ( meaning not being over matched like last year) there would no excuses for his performance In that scenario you might be getting a clearer picture of what Darnold actually can do then it’s a good move to sign him since Dalton is still relatively young he could be the starter as our search for the elusive franchise qb continues. 
PS it’s a good move to sign him regardless of scenario 

• Thumb Down 1

This is Sam’s team. And it’s very accurate to say that this fanbase and the NY media will be starting their mantra of “Dalton’s warming up on the sideline” anytime Sam makes a mistake. 

Dalton would be a great backup, no doubt. Albeit an expensive one. But he’d also be a huge, unnecessary distraction that could potentially divide this team at the first sign of trouble. One comment by an “anonymous source” would be thrown out there by one of our beat writers, and the circus would be on, fueled in a typical passive/aggressive way by Mehta, Cimini and the Gang. We seen this movie before. 

No thanks. This team has dealt with enough drama over the years. 

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

The main reason to do this is to keep him from going to the Pats. The second reason is to make sure we can still win games if Darnold gets injured. Win, win - but the first reason is why we should do it today!

The pats with Dalton would still suck 

they just wouldn’t suck enough to get Trevor Lawrence 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The only way I would add a Dalton or Flacco is if they want to take a ridiculously cheap Jameis Winston type of deal for a year.

Otherwise, spend the money elsewhere.

Hell, go pick up someone like Matt Moore for peanuts if you want to give Morgan a year of seasoning.

I’d rather use the remaining cap room on Clowney 

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

I’d rather use the remaining cap room on Clowney 

Either Clowney, Logan Ryan or a trade for a wideout like JuJu or Curtis Samuel.

I’d rather make a move for any of those guys over potentially paying $6-8 million a year for a veteran backup QB whose best days are clearly behind him and you hope never sees the field.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Sam has missed time each of his two seasons, and if we need a back-up to play 2 or 3 games for us this season, I would rather it be Dalton than Morgan or Fales.

If the price is right on a one year deal, Dalton backing up Sam, while Morgan is 3rd string, that works for me. 

IMHO we'll have a top notch defense so I would be up for seeing what Morgan has if it came to it.  Besides I hate spending the cap on a vet/mentor type, even a somewhat good one.    

3 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

Maybe JD thinks BB has serious interest in Dalton?  Wants to block Belichick...while at the same time...seriously upgrading the QB position for this year.  Who knows.

Morgan is probably going to be just holding a clipboard for now.  And can't be seriously counted on to be a viable backup until next year. 

Just speculating here.

If Bellicheck wants Dalton it would be to start and the Jets cant offer that.   Belli is up against the cap, and has 2 QBs he didnt try to replace via draft.   Doubt this happens.

• Upvote 1