Are you excited about drafting Zach Wilson?

Are you excited about drafting Zach Wilson?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Are you excited about drafting Zach Wilson

I am absolutely excited Zach is the pick. 

I had concerns about his injury history. I had concerns about the Jets being able to develop this type of player. But once it became extremely clear the Jets were taking him after the Pro Day what use would it be to fixate on that? The Jets never draft this early and we have never picked a QB like this. Wilson has top 10 Franchise QB upside - I'm gonna enjoy the ride.  

Wilson's delivery is by far the nicest and fastest in the draft. He is able to throw off platform the best in the draft. He is athletic. Most of all my favorite attribute is this guy has a killer instinct. I've watched his all 22 enough to see it multiple times. For better or worse he's going to be the type of player that passes on easy 10 yard plays for 50 yard bombs. 

Oh and it certainly doesn't hurt that he is one of the highest PFF graded QB's ever and his Qbase projection is excellent. Lets get this guy protection and weapons and watch him develop into a top 10 QB. Seriously: Go get this kid Waddle and Creed Humphrey and this team is going to be one of the best and most exciting young teams in the NFL real quick. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

You're so full of sh*t, the second he's a Jet NO ONE here will be rooting for him to fail.

NO ONE will root for him to fail... there’s only one franchise that’s drafted a QB in the top 3 twice within this span, and if the Jets draft a QB, that one franchise is the Jets.

Just bc the fans won’t root for him to fail doesn’t mean the franchise has finally gotten it’s sh*t together. In fact that’s why every fan is in this vicious cycle...

58 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

This is a 2 qb draft IMO. Lawrence and fields...

So no I'm not really excited for ZW because I think were making a massive mistake and he will be an epic bust. I hope he proves me wrong and he's finally the long term solution. I just don't have much faith in that happening. 

Watson > trubisky

Fields > wilson 

These analysts get it wrong all the time.

This is still my big fear. I would also pick Fields, myself. 

Although I will admit that Wilson is a better prospect than I had realized before the draft process got going. 

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Sad...  but this is true   name one person happy to be drafted by the JETS   Especially the Johnsons Jets 

Tom Brady would have sucked if a Jet   

How fortunes can change...

Mo Lewis would've probably busted the arrogant Brady's jaw in the locker room.  And Drew Bledsoe would still be playing into his late forties.   While back up journeyman Tom would've retired.  Banging hoes instead of Gisele.

• Haha 1

If , after coming off a 2-14 season, Jets fans can't get excited about 1) a new and seemingly highly qualified and capable coaching staff. 2) a young respected GM, 3) a new potential franchise QB (no matter which one of the 4 they would pick), 4) a bunch of early draft picks this year and next - then what does get you excited?  What is the same from the past few years of terrible football?  Nothing. What do you people want?  The changes are in place for the Jets to succeed - more so than in a long time. No more Gase, no more Mac, no more Bowles.  What exactly did you want the Jets to do in the offseason to make you excited? Keep Darnold?  Really?  And any of you who seem to think you know how Wilson will turn out are full of it.  

• Upvote 1

Excited: very enthusiastic and eager.

So I didn't vote because I simply hope JD does a good job and gets the franchise gets back on track.  A "good" Zach will be a part of that but I'm not specifically excited based on getting him.

I'm excited with the upcoming opportunities which we arrived at by hook or by crook.  So Far.....JD's the man.       

• Upvote 1

More cautiously optimistic.  I want to believe that there is the possibility that Zach will turn things around and a bevy of draft picks will yield a loaded roster.  But after 27 or so years of being disappointed I guess I am a little bit salty.  After researching Mr. Wilson and his amazing throwing ability... I am gradually coming around.  How Douglas picks his candidates will make me more receptive and optimistic about where we are going.  Because I don't know how things could get much lower after Gase.  That guy was a moron by any definition.

Man.  If I could be proud of the Gang Green for one Fall.   What wouldn't we all give for that?!?!

• Upvote 1

Not excited. Concerned is more like it. JD's decision to pick a QB at #2 OA rather than trade down will determine the Jets future for the next 3-5 years.

Taking a QB without first building the offense, specifically the OL foundation, is risky at best and if he drafts Wilson there are some legit red flags especially his ability to physically stand up to the pounding he's going to take behind the worst OL in the league.

I'll feel better if we come away with two OL, TE and a WR on day one and day two. That'll at least give Wilson a chance. I'll be disgusted if he takes a CB or edge before day three.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Not excited. Concerned is more like it. JD's decision to pick a QB at #2 OA rather than trade down will determine the Jets future for the next 3-5 years.

Taking a QB without first building the offense, specifically the OL foundation, is risky at best and if he drafts Wilson there are some legit red flags especially his ability to physically stand up to the pounding he's going to take behind the worst OL in the league.

I'll feel better if we come away with two OL, TE and a WR on day one and day two. That'll at least give Wilson a chance. I'll be disgusted if he takes a CB or edge before day three.

We have the #2 pick and if we don't have a QB what then?  Without a QB we are no where.  What you are suggesting happened 3 years ago and we passed on many QB's to take Adams. I hear you BUT once we let Darnold go, the cards were set. I hope Wilson becomes Russel Wilson. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

This is a 2 qb draft IMO. Lawrence and fields...

So no I'm not really excited for ZW because I think were making a massive mistake and he will be an epic bust. I hope he proves me wrong and he's finally the long term solution. I just don't have much faith in that happening. 

Watson > trubisky

Fields > wilson 

These analysts get it wrong all the time.

Joe Douglas said there are only 2 clear QBs in this class also....

Everyone presumed he was talking about Trevor and Zach but maybe he was not.

I've accepted Wilson is the pick since Sam was traded but getting a feeling in the last 24 hours fields is not out of the equation, he has been getting a lot of love.

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

Save whatever you like, you clearly live in a complete fantasy world of your own making, so I have no doubt you're see "rooting against him" in anything anyone says that isn't in line with your worldview of Wilson's total and complete perfection.

I mean lets be serious, you just claimed, with no hesitation, that the generally accepted concerns with Wilson are all fake news untruths, that's he basically perfect. 

There is no discussion to be had with that kind of extremism.  

Like I said, we'll all see soon enough how good he is or isn't.  And if we draft him, be assured, EVERY Jets Fan will root for him and every one will want him to win.  

"Generally accepted" by who?  JetsNation? ESPN talking heads? Skip Bayless?

I'm just pointing out why those "Generally accepted" concerns are lazy and inaccurate.  

As noted in my previous response to you - I do have legitimate concerns with him - but those are concerns that have to do with him playing football - not something that easily fits into a 2 minute segment, speaking to the lowest common denominator on ESPN.

• Upvote 1

Still think the jets made a mistake not running darnold back for one more season and selling the #2 to the highest bidder. Address the QB position in 2022 with more of JD picks on the roster and another FA under the jets belt. We're more than likely drafting a kid this year that nobody had heard of until the half way point of last years college season and wasn't on a single way to early mock draft. Wilson may have the goods but we're going to be putting all of our eggs into an out of nowhere prospect. The kind of prospect where there are normally 2 or 3 of in every draft. Not excited but I am trying to be optimistic.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I never once said he was a perfect prospect.  In fact I've continually laid out many concerns I have with him, but those are with his football game...and not some made up talking points.  

All I'm doing here is pointing out why they're simply "talking points" rather than real concerns.  

When you say things like he's only being drafted at 2 because he beat sh*tty teams - that's a talking point that is incredibly false

When you say things like he's a big injury risk because of his size I'm just pointing out that there is no correlation between QB's sizes and injuries in the NFL.  

When you talk about him being injury prone - simply pointing out that he was a 3 year starter that missed 3 games....

As mentioned, I do have concerns with him for sure...Here are some of them.

1) After his pre-reads at the LOS he does seem to lock onto one WR more often than I would like to see. Kurt Warner pointed this out and I completely agree.

2) I would like to see him go through his progressions more often.  This is where the lesser competition does come into play.  His guys won a lot of 1:1's he was smarter enough to read where 1:1 were and too often locked in.  

3) I would like to see him take the easy throw more often.  He seems to pass on easy first down kinda throws to go bigger play, to a more covered receiver.  Take the 1st down...He has a bit too much of gunslinger in him for my taste.

4) I do worry that a lot of his back shoulder or 1:1 jump balls he throws up won't be effective at the NFL level - well, we know they won't be as effective - the concern I have is will he learn to stop doing it..in other words was he doing it in college because it was working so why stop...or will continue to make those throws that end up getting int's

There are absolutely legitimate issues with this kid - but his talent/mental make-up and by all accounts work ethic are top 5 level NFL QB.

Can he bust, absolutely. Will he become a top 5 NFL QB - I have no idea....but he's far more capable of it than any QB draft pick we've had come through our doors since Namath.  And that I fully believe that.

Nice post Fido. Hopefully the Jets won’t draft him so he may reach his potential, 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

We have the #2 pick and if we don't have a QB what then?  Without a QB we are no where.  What you are suggesting happened 3 years ago and we passed on many QB's to take Adams. I hear you BUT once we let Darnold go, the cards were set. I hope Wilson becomes Russel Wilson. 

What I'm saying is that JD should have built the foundation before drafting a QB. The #2 OA is a very valuable pick which could have netted the Jets a huge draft haul in a trade down. I wanted to roll with Darnold for two more years at a very reasonable cost and then drafted a QB if Darnold still stunk with a roster that wasn't the worst in the NFL.

I never wanted Adams and was pissed that Macc passed on QB that draft because he took Hackenburg in the second round the year before.

You hope " Wilson becomes Russel Wilson". Yeah we all do although I'd prefer KC's QB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

When you say things like he's only being drafted at 2 because he beat sh*tty teams - that's a talking point that is incredibly false

I said he wasn't a top prospect prior to 2020 because he wasn't.  If you have a link to any source prior to the 2020 season describing him as a likely #2 overall pick, be sure to link it.

His draft status is because of his 2020 season alone.  The fact that his 2020 season was 1. against a very weak schedule and 2. during COVID, are both simply facts.  

When you say things like he's a big injury risk because of his size I'm just pointing out that there is no correlation between QB's sizes and injuries in the NFL.  

Whatever you say. 

If you had a choice between him as he is (6'2", 210) or him exactly the same but 6'5" and 225, which would you take.

You're a liar if you say you'd prefer him as he is and you know it.

When you talk about him being injury prone - simply pointing out that he was a 3 year starter that missed 3 games....

So he never had shoulder surgery to repair the labrum in his right (throwing) shoulder?  That might be news to him.

.....his talent/mental make-up and by all accounts work ethic are top 5 level NFL QB.

Thanks for setting the expectation level.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Its a QB, in the top three.  

How can you not be excited

Id be excited about Fields too.  

Its a new QB, the most important position in sports.  Enjoy it

Oh the old “ at least it ain’t Sam Darnold “ argument. That’s actually very fair, well put. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Oh the old “ at least it ain’t Sam Darnold “ argument. That’s actually very fair, well put. 

True because lets face it if Sam was what we hoped Sam would be we would have to get excited over a top OL, WR or do we take Pitts at #2 if we dont trade back.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I said he wasn't a top prospect prior to 2020 because he wasn't.  If you have a link to any source prior to the 2020 season describing him as a likely #2 overall pick, be sure to link it.

His draft status is because of his 2020 season alone.  The fact that his 2020 season was 1. against a very weak schedule and 2. during COVID, are both simply facts.  

Whatever you say. 

If you had a choice between him as he is (6'2", 210) or him exactly the same but 6'5" and 225, which would you take.

You're a liar if you say you'd prefer him as he is and you know it.

So he never had shoulder surgery to repair the labrum in his right (throwing) shoulder?  That might be news to him.

Thanks for setting the expectation level.  

I'll say this about the bolded...

Sure, I would prefer a bigger QB, who wouldn't.  But that has NOTHING to do with injury potential.   I am not the least bit more concerned with him getting hurt than Lawrence or Fields.  In fact, I would be more concerned with either of them.  Can he get hurt, absolutely - am I concerned with him being injured - you betcha - but no more than any other QB we would draft - and less than many others.

Question for you - would you rather 6'5 214 or 6'2 214?

To be clear and for the record - my expectation is absolutely top 5.  I would be disappointed if he doesn't become that.

9 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Obviously, he filled in for Tua did anyone here know about Wilson then or most of this year? 

NFL scouts were familiar with Wilson.  Just because he wasn't on ABC and you didn't see him it doesn't mean he wasn't on the radar of NFL teams.

He was.  Did a breakout year help his national exposure - for sure.  But his natural skill-set was never going to get past NFL scouts.

Far too often people confuse ESPN with NFL front offices.  They are very different entities with different goals, jobs and agendas.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AFerg726 said:

Zach Wilson has the requisite talent to be selected at 2. It's generally rare that guys selected this high flame out due to talent. Wilson's success here will depend primarily on how we develop and support him. 

Poor Zach.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

This is not how NFL teams operate.  They value the QB position over every other position.  When you are able to grab one you do it.  Using your mode of operation, when you are ready to bring in the QB you have to hope and pray youre in the position to draft one you like and that theres even one there for the taking.  

Also its not a 3 year ordeal to build a team up for that QB.  

• Upvote 2