Jet Message Board History

clayton163v

11 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

The recent passing of Savage69 reminded me of how I came to internet message boards and where this all began.  It started with USENET which had a discussion group with a Jet message board.  One of the old time posters mentioned the "Green Room".  Perhaps that was it.  I neither posted there nor read it.  It took a certain type of computer person back then.   I was a Kaypro man back then - ever hunt the Wumpus? - and quite computer literate (Ah, dot commands).   But that was not an internet compatible computer.  Never once let me down.  Fabulous product.  But along came Windows and whoosh . . .

For me it was the message boards of the NY Times.  The old posters on that board - people like Savage69 and many of the posters who have come to pay respects - came from the USENET boards.  The legacy of those USENET groups lay in the knowledge that quickly arrived at the NY Times board.   It was astonishing and far better than any sports reporting in NYC.  That - in turn - led to a thriving daily discussion on the Jets.  I discovered it and registered on the same day.  Instantly addictive.  It is no exaggeration to say that there were more daily posts on that Jet message board than there were on the NY Times entire platform.   It grew and grew.  Soon the international character of the NY Times audience began to attract Jet fans from all over the world.  It included people from all walks of life.  Many of whom were highly literate.  When a player got hurt, you got a medical opinion.  When a player got arrested/sued, you got a legal opinion and the policeman's viewpoint.  Everybody was on the board..  Sound  familiar?  Back then, it was completely new.  The internet began to shrink the world and you could see it on that board.  

Then along came Mia.  A NY Times moderator.  She wiped it all out by banning poster after poster including Henry Hertz.  Last straw, that one.  After that the old posters scattered.  Some went here, some went there.  But together they were the base of knowledge and support which gave strength to every Jets message board that has come since.    It is why our message boards blow away the rest of the NFL.  Take a look at them, you will see what I mean.  

When did you start posting on the Jets?  Which site?  Tell us about your early computer(s). 

What year did the Usenet groups start?  I remember AOL and Compuserve back in the early 90s which was my first internet experience. 

• Upvote 2

Started posting on JetNation in October 2008, coincidentally in the midst of one of the mass JI exoduses. I made an account on JI too a couple years later and posted there because it was busier. Also dicked around on TGG around 2015 and got permabanned for being an ass during political discussions in the lounge. 

I’ve dipped in and out of JN but I’ve almost always enjoyed it. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DLJ said:

I started in 2008 I believe, I was the baby of JetNation.com. This was in the middle of the JETNATION.COM vs Jetinsider war/ brouhaha. The Favre year. I was maybe 19 then. I’m in my 30’s now. I grew up on this board

Sup Bronzey. I was 14. Hahaha

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

The recent passing of Savage69 reminded me of how I came to internet message boards and where this all began.  It started with USENET which had a discussion group with a Jet message board.  One of the old time posters mentioned the "Green Room".  Perhaps that was it.  I neither posted there nor read it.  It took a certain type of computer person back then.   I was a Kaypro man back then - ever hunt the Wumpus? - and quite computer literate (Ah, dot commands).   But that was not an internet compatible computer.  Never once let me down.  Fabulous product.  But along came Windows and whoosh . . .

For me it was the message boards of the NY Times.  The old posters on that board - people like Savage69 and many of the posters who have come to pay respects - came from the USENET boards.  The legacy of those USENET groups lay in the knowledge that quickly arrived at the NY Times board.   It was astonishing and far better than any sports reporting in NYC.  That - in turn - led to a thriving daily discussion on the Jets.  I discovered it and registered on the same day.  Instantly addictive.  It is no exaggeration to say that there were more daily posts on that Jet message board than there were on the NY Times entire platform.   It grew and grew.  Soon the international character of the NY Times audience began to attract Jet fans from all over the world.  It included people from all walks of life.  Many of whom were highly literate.  When a player got hurt, you got a medical opinion.  When a player got arrested/sued, you got a legal opinion and the policeman's viewpoint.  Everybody was on the board..  Sound  familiar?  Back then, it was completely new.  The internet began to shrink the world and you could see it on that board.  

Then along came Mia.  A NY Times moderator.  She wiped it all out by banning poster after poster including Henry Hertz.  Last straw, that one.  After that the old posters scattered.  Some went here, some went there.  But together they were the base of knowledge and support which gave strength to every Jets message board that has come since.    It is why our message boards blow away the rest of the NFL.  Take a look at them, you will see what I mean.  

When did you start posting on the Jets?  Which site?  Tell us about your early computer(s). 

Edited by NIGHT STALKER
Small correction...it was the Green House
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

ESPN forums for NFL teams, led to TGG, then to JI, then here… and now I’m under your bed waiting for you to fall asleep.

Yes remember using the internet in school back in 1996 and talking trash about my Syracuse Orange bball squad in the ESPN forums.

Started in 2012 but was reading the board for a few years before actually joining. I was optimistic back then, part of why my name username is Be_a_jet , I actually thought it was a good thing back then haha.
I would change my username now if I cared enough - maybe one of these days...

nice to look back on the years

• Upvote 1

I started on the nytimes site too... I was dcJetsfan then.  Henry was the best.  So informative

No topic threads back then - just one continuous stream with everything.

Back then when you posted, you and had to wait for a moderator to approve it before your post would show up.   

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, docdhc said:

What year did the Usenet groups start?  I remember AOL and Compuserve back in the early 90s which was my first internet experience. 

I remember rolling my own TCP/IP stack on Windows 3.1 so I could access alt.sports.jets on the news groups. My memory is fading - along with my eye sight - but I think it was 1990-1992.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

Savage passing made me feel oddly weird. People die everyday but something about losing a mainstay on an internet board where the 1’s and 0’s are both eternal and ephemeral; an anonymous community losing an anonymous friend  #Deep thoughts

Well said DH.

I started at JI, not quite sure when, 2004? Feels like it would be earlier than that, but who knows.

Started here at JN with the original JI exodus in 2005, but mostly posted at JI till the Scout thing and JI's downfall.  

Was doing various message boards as early as 1993-94, just not on the Jets really.

• Upvote 1

I was a long time lurker on JI that finally signed up in January 2006 when Herm was banished (I could have never posted during the Herm era).and Mangina got hired.

Alk recruited me to come over here later that year lol 

Jet Moses used to tell me about that site Jetshaters back in the late 90’s. He was using his real name until @Garb told him to change it or risk being killed. Lol so jet mo, sooth and @Bob used to go there and troll angry pats fans that hated the Jets. Then sooth invites them to JI. I think @PFSIKH was on jetshaters too. The board administrator was called “the wizard”

• Upvote 1

I think one of my cousins bought me a year subscription of Jets Confidential in 2003. Next year we drafted Vilma and I started looking at the online version of Jets Confidential. I accidentally found JI, joined in 2005 as Fifty One my original user name. Didn’t post right away, eventually switched to The Crusher. 2008 came here and  found this to be a kinder gentler Jets message board. I like it here. Think I might stay. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

It was JI for me, early 2000's...not sure the date.  I can remember laughing hysterically in the library at UF during one of the famous JI threads and I remember meeting Jetsfreak (not sure if that specific Jetsfreak is still around) at the bar I was working in.  Gator alum in town for a game, we put it together we knew each from JI.  Pretty funny and creepy.  lol  Herm was still coach....had to be like 2002-4 time frame that I started posting...based on those events.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I think one of my cousins bought me a year subscription of Jets Confidential in 2003. Next year we drafted Vilma and I started looking at the online version of Jets Confidential. I accidentally found JI, joined in 2005 as Fifty One my original user name. Didn’t post right away, eventually switched to The Crusher. 2008 came here and  found this to be a kinder gentler Jets message board. I like it here. Think I might stay. 

I hope so...

I Love You Dance GIF by Mauro Gatti

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, BP said:

I was a long time lurker on JI that finally signed up in January 2006 when Herm was banished (I could have never posted during the Herm era).and Mangina got hired.

Alk recruited me to come over here later that year lol 

Jet Moses used to tell me about that site Jetshaters back in the late 90’s. He was using his real name until @Garb told him to change it or risk being killed. Lol so jet mo, sooth and @Bob used to go there and troll angry pats fans that hated the Jets. Then sooth invites them to JI. I think @PFSIKH was on jetshaters too. The board administrator was called “the wizard”

I always liked Jet Moses. He was fun to tailgate with.

• Upvote 1