Things I liked today

Maxman

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This isn't getting enough attention.  When the offense was crap (take a look at those Week 2 and Week 3 final scores again) LaFleur really took it from the fans and the forum was full of negative threads.  Now that things have turned quite a bit, that he has gotten multiple different backup QBs to play above their capabilities, that the rushing attack is starting to come to form.... there's a bit of a, "well, it's about time" reaction to him.  What if... we actually have an excellent, young OC?  Wouldn't that be something?

It was comforting to see us play a "who dat" at RB that was just elevated from the PS this week and for him to have a nice game. That says a lot about the system and the play calling - and the OL playing better as the year goes on. We see this so often from other teams, nice to see it from our team for once.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

It was comforting to see us play a "who dat" at RB that was just elevated from the PS this week and for him to have a nice game. That says a lot about the system and the play calling - and the OL playing better as the year goes on. We see this so often from other teams, nice to see it from our team for once.

i was just thinking about that.  lafleur must be doing something right.  white filled in for wilson and then johnson filled in for white and they put up good numbers.  same thing with the running backs.  they get holes and they run through them.  too bad we didn't have this a few games ago.

• Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Offensive line dominating in the run game and starting to put it together as a unit is a big plus …our defense is still terrible though and will get exposed soon enough 

Something that the commentators called out on one goal line play - I think it was the Walter TD. Our new RG LDT saw something in the defensive alignment, nudged McGovern to communicate about it, and it was those two that opened the big hole for the RB.

So good not seeing GVR out there any more!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Zach Wilson’s timing was off, he was inaccurate and was down by 11 after going 1 for 6 with an interception. But from that point on he made good decisions and despite clearly not having  his best stuff (compare to Tennessee) he managed the game and played well enough to win. It’s tough for a QB to win an NFL game with less than his best stuff. Today, Wilson learned he can do that. It is a valuable lesson for a rookie QB.

Even the good passes he made week wobbly and ugly. Hopefully it was more rust than him not being good. 

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This isn't getting enough attention.  When the offense was crap (take a look at those Week 2 and Week 3 final scores again) LaFleur really took it from the fans and the forum was full of negative threads.  Now that things have turned quite a bit, that he has gotten multiple different backup QBs to play above their capabilities, that the rushing attack is starting to come to form.... there's a bit of a, "well, it's about time" reaction to him.  What if... we actually have an excellent, young OC?  Wouldn't that be something?

I'd like to add to this.  The icing on the cake.  This dude is so young that he won't be the next hot OC to HC prospect for some time to come.  So if this guy is the real deal (and he just might be) then he'll be here for a good long time.     

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I liked that the Jets played the Texans and wish they could play similarly terrible teams every week! 

Pretty key point. I also think we have seen that LaFleur likely has a clue and may be able to get it together once the roster catches up. Anything wise I say will dent the positivity vibe so…. 

• Upvote 2

Good stuff Max.

Thought here...has Fant given up a sack yet? Not sure but he looks really natural as a LT.

Moses has been ok overall but he gets beat right off the snap by playing too high. I'd consider playing Becton at RT and leaving Fant at LT until he falters (if he ever does). 

• Upvote 1

LDT has been  a significant upgrade in the run game. Pass blocking still needs more work though. He may be worth resigning. 

Quincy Williams is a nice player. Definitely has the skills to be very good. Hopefully will continue to improve. 

JFM had an incredible game, hopefully he can become more consistent.

Zach was 13-18 after his horrible start, hopefully he will start better next week.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Uncle Nicco said:

Elijah Moore had two big drops today. One on 3rd and 3 (hit him square in the hands) and another on 2nd and 8 for a 6 yard gain late in the game. Not to mention he slipped in the red zone causing a sack on third down. 

Elijah Moore makes NFL history.  The first WR to give up a sack on the QB while out on a pattern. This is some kind of record setting year. ?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Since there are so many threads hitting us over the head with negativity, here are some things I liked today:

-Elijah Moore continues to show he is the real deal

-The offensive line. AVT is amazing, Van Rotten out of the lineup and they are improving. Can't wait for Becton to get back and move Fant to RT.

-The defense battled. Sure it was the Texans but they played tough, played physical. JFM OH MY, that was a game and a half. 

-LaFleur in the booth is very impressive. He makes adjustments and finds a much better flow with his play calling

What did you like today about the Jets game?

Nice post boss but at the risk of sounding negative if Becton makes it back for this season I’m not sure it would be at left tackle. Fant been great in the pass game. Becton might be a nicer fit on the right as a road grader type. Pretty positive we won’t need to worry about that till training camp. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I like that the Jets aren’t the worst team in the league. Seriously, I know Watson is out, but the Texans are wretched.

They're better than the Jags too.  The Jags are atrocious and while Zach Wilson is looking like a mega bust, everything I said about Trevor Lawrence being the most overrated prospect, ever, is playing out.  Literally every flaw I pointed out in his game and was laughed at by this entire board for challenging his greatness, is 100% on full display.  He's better than Zach but he's sucks something awful too. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

It seems that the DL disappears against teams with big strong running games - once the team can run at will and doesn't have to drop back and throw - the DL seems less effective. 

Yeah.  I really think our LB's are a very serious problem.  The nice thing is competent LB's can be found in FA and later in the draft.

Maybe not all-pro's but enough to be competent.  

• Upvote 2

Curious to see the pff run grades. Running right seemed to work well yesterday. Most of the year, running behind GVR has been a death sentence.

The play calling was impressive. ML has really come into his own. The 4th down call when Moore picked up the first down on the sweep was great.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

They're better than the Jags too.  The Jags are atrocious and while Zach Wilson is looking like a mega bust, everything I said about Trevor Lawrence being the most overrated prospect, ever, is playing out.  Literally every flaw I pointed out in his game and was laughed at by this entire board for challenging his greatness, is 100% on full display.  He's better than Zach but he's sucks something awful too. 

Never thought I'd say these words.  But apart from Mac Jones, all the first year QBs look like warm garbage.

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe you could focus a little less on baiting and trolling. That might help. 

Yeah, I don't get the constant unhealthy obsession with sh*tting on Jet QBs. 

Over and over and over and over and over again.

We get it, some folks hate Wilson.  This thread wasn't the place to do that.