Brown expected to be out, Fant to LT

Larz

23 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Nah, im not blaming "doctors" im blaming the guys in charge. 31 other teams seemed to have figured it out. Never heard "Oh man that Jags medical staff" cmon guys. This is NYC, if anything, they can prob attract the top doctors. This looks like Khalil Mack all over again. Wasted money on a guy who wasn't in shape and ready. 

Yep - but what is it? We GM, CS, doctors, training staff? This problems seem to predate the current CS and GM. Not sure what it is, but I am tired of it.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Yep - but what is it? We GM, CS, doctors, training staff? This problems seem to predate the current CS and GM. Not sure what it is, but I am tired of it.

The guy missed all OTA, most of TC is 37 years old and tries to "catch up" and inevitably injuries himself - who da thunk

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

The guy is 37, was unsigned, and has skipped entire seasons before. You hand him 9 million bucks guaranteed and business decisions come into play.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

not sure but JD had all offseason to get depth on OL and instead he rolled the dice with Becton and a 37 year old Tackle....

Just not smart GMing

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I'm late for work so jumping to the end of this thread (I'll go back and read it after clocking in!).....Fant at LT and Max Michell at RT is exactly what JD envisioned when he considered Becton falling out. This is why he drafted Max Mitchell in the first place!

My only question is why did JD panic and drop $22M on a 'replacement strategy'....my only answer is when Becton was IR'd (vs a few weeks) we needed tackle depth for the season, but $22M for tackle depth...wow.

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Understand why people are annoyed at this, but show me a team that has 4 starting OTs on their team... The OL should be fine - 4/5 good OL should be more than enough to hold tight against the 22nd ranked team in sacks last year

No such thing as "should" with the Jets. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If I had to guess, I’d say that he thinks his coaching staff is better than it is, and that he can throw project-type players into the mix and his coaches will get them to max out, and he’s just now starting to figure out that his coaches are a pack of spunky kids who haven’t been able to create a culture that balances development and accountability, and now Douglas’ draft picks are falling through the cracks. Wirfs and Pitts were super clean prospects, but they also ended up with pretty good coaches for them

It’s possible for sure, though he started off with a coach who I don’t think he actually liked and was most aggressive with those picks so I’m not totally sure that meshes with how the process has gone. I think some people just struggle to distinguish the traits that raise a guy’s floor, and Douglas is one of those evaluators. It’s a shame because he was really close to doing things gradually and the right way and then for whatever reason just decided to speed things up. I do hope he can rally and think he’s gotten better but I don’t know if it’s enough.

Regarding coaches, I don’t know that I totally agree to be honest. I don’t think Arians has an awesome OL track record. Brady certainly helps, but Arians likes pushing the ball downfield which I don’t think makes things easy on young OL. Being on the right side helps but I think that just makes things easier in general and is part of why I think his floor was higher than Becton. And the Brady factor, but I don’t really see Arians moving the needle there.

And I think the jury has to be out on Smith, and I’m not sure it matters anyway. I just don’t think there are many of any defensive players with the size, speed, and agility to defend someone with Pitts’ blend of athletic traits and ball skills. I think Pitts shining last year in a suboptimal situation was largely because of Pitts’ insane physical gifts and that would’ve popped up anywhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

• The Becton decision was sunk.  If someone gives us a good offer for him we trade him and save the space.  Otherwise we keep him as part of the T rotation, and the Ts will be rotated.
  • JD needs to extend Fant RIGHT NOW before his agent and doctors (not the Jets’ doctors, who no one respects) comes up with reasons for him not to play.  This will be a constant theme this year.  
  • There were no OTs really after we picked JJ2-Goedeke (2/57) and Petit-Frere (3/69) were next up.
  • It would have been nice to sign Moses, but he either was not signing with the Jets, or only for a premium that JD does not pay.  
  • Was Edoga that bad for a 3rd round draft pick/4th year veteran that we could not keep him around?
  • As another blogger put it-there is always next year.  At this point the Jets should be playing for next year.  So, if someone wants to trade for Davis, and give us a pick and save us the cap space, we should do that and let Mims and the PS guys step up.  Keep Davis for what?  Win another meaningless game?  
  • Our Ts next year are Becton and Brown, who we own, and Fant, who we need to extend, plus Mitchell.   I am confident that Becton will look like his rookie year next year.  We won’t be fooled and will let him walk for a comp pick, or tag and trade him.   We should find a 5th T somewhere.  
  • An interesting point that maybe does not fit on this thread-look at the players that made the team-the Jets were not willing to cut anyone who they paid guaranteed money to, even if they did not deserve to be on the roster.  Ok, maybe they all deserved it, but Joyner, Shepherd, Thomas, Feeney, Martin all made the roster.  They were not NOT making the roster.  The Johnsons hate to waste money like that.  

1 hour ago, Alka said:

You would think that going into the draft, Joe Douglas might have thought that going into opening day, If I need a 2022 draft pick to start at right tackle, maybe I shouldn't wait until the 4th round to pick one up?

I really hope Max Mitchell turns out to be a really good pickup for us.

Should they have not drafted Wilson, Gardner, Johnson and Hall in the previous rounds?

• Upvote 1

Love how everyone's triggered over having our 2nd of 3 starting tackles get injured.

If anyone thought that one OT and Zach Wilson were the keys to success this year, then I'm not sure what you were thinking.

This is nothing.  If our WRs, TEs and DEFENSE all suck, units that we have dumped countless resources into, then we have a nightmare scenario.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MykePM said:

Mitchell was drafted in the same exact draft position as Fabini (round 4, 111th pick) so let’s hope lightning strikes twice.

I almost bought it in a different thread then I remebered Bill Parcells was the HC and we had an all time great coaching staff.  A 15 minute EST seminar from Saleh may not do it.