Targets Jets could go after

Team archer

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

been contemplating that this week....

we have alotta $$ tied up in Avery and CJ...   

and we need OL and upper 3rd tier WR. and....

Cut/Traded 2020:-

Trumaine Johnson.

Lev’on Bell.

Avery Williamson.

Brian Winters.

Quincy Enunwa. (Retirement)

This will free some cash up.

• Sympathy 1

Paying Scherff $15/season scares me a bit but if Joe D likes him I’d be all for it. 

The other OL I like a lot is Joe Haeg from Indy. He can play guard or tackle and is going to shake free due to the talent on his team, not due to any issue with him as a player. He’s not elite but is a good player who can play multiple positions. 

As for OLB any one of Dupree, Fowler or my personal choice Yannick would be great. 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Paying Scherff $15/season scares me a bit but if Joe D likes him I’d be all for it. 

The other OL I like a lot is Joe Haeg from Indy. He can play guard or tackle and is going to shake free due to the talent on his team, not due to any issue with him as a player. He’s not elite but is a good player who can play multiple positions. 

As for OLB any one of Dupree, Fowler or my personal choice Yannick would be great. 

How bad does he have to play to be Trumaine Johnson bad.

8 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

CJ is not going anywhere.  

Williamson can be cut or traded for a $6.5mm cap savings.  That seems really enticing, but the only ILBs under contract next year are CJ, Cashman and Harvy Langi.   People focus on OL, but there are also relatively few LBs under contract next year as well.  

Neville Hewitt is playing well this year for $1.5mm.

But you look at the DL-they are all under contract at least through 2021.   What does that tell you.

I want to hear someone explain what defense the Jets run now.  I don't think its a 3-4.

• Sympathy 1

I would be good with Scherff but I am really ready to see a draft where we go OL, WR and CB almost exclusively. Sure we can grab a FA or two but I’m really tired of these bums under producing for their huge contracts. Even Mosely has only contributed about 2 1/2 hours to our on the field Jets this season.
Whatever the reason is per individual is irrelevant. Building the team through FA is for novices. FA should be complementary and the beef of the sandwich should come from the draft.

As I root for this team to win every week I have that same little voice creeping in that it would be better to lose. Trading a top 5 pick could go a long way toward building this team the right way.
OL all day!

Go jets!!’

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Team archer said:

Shaq barrett is going to get paid this offseason, and while i was open about wanting to add him last offseason at short money, i wouldnt be willing to throw a lot at him this year.  already at 11.5 sacks this year and never eclipsing 5.5 in any season prior to that has me suspicious. 

Had we signed him in the offseason like I originally wanted we would have had a bargain at the price. 

I feel very similar about bud dupree this year.. he's been a steady 4-6 sack a year player, but this season he's already at 6.  If he finishes around 8-9 he should be able to be signed for a moderate deal with a chance to outplay the contract in the next 3 seasons. 

Out of that list realistically i think we would take a shot at scherff but i do think the money is going to be over the top what we'd be willing to pay.  He's going to end up the highest paid guard in the sport this season and while he's definitely a very good guard, he's had some injury concerns of late. . Remains to be seen how he finishes this season, but  Scherff has not played a full season the last two years. 

Still if youre asking my from that list.. I take a shot on scherff and bud dupree.  You could see what the market is for byron jones as well as im not sure the cowboys will have the capital to resign him with the deals they have to give cooper and dak still, but if the price is right i would be in on him as well. 

• Upvote 1

Scherff?  Did you guys watch the game on Sunday?  

I get going with him if they feel he fits what they want to do, but he sure as hell does not seem like a "write a blank check" player to me.  Remember, I see him every week down here. 

I think 3 ILB is a lot to have under contract.  Even running  a 3-4 I don't want too many more of them.  Especially when you consider they can probably sign Hewitt back for near the minimum. 

I also don't think that trading top 5 picks is exactly how to build through the draft.  The reason the draft is the beef is because of the money that it saves.  You keep saving money by drafting quality.  Think of the Steelers. They didn't pay Burress, they replaced him with Holmes.  They didn't pay Holmes, they replaced him with Brown.  They drafted Smith-Schuster, but also paid Brown.  Whoops.

You need to draft quality players to save money.  Having Adams, instead of paying Berry saves money.  Having Darnold, instead of paying Cousins saves money.  Drafting/paying guys that can be replaced without a drop off by Neville Hewitt, Tom Compton, Jonotthan Harrison, etc. doesn't do sh*t for anybody. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

been contemplating that this week....

and we need OL and upper 3rd tier WR. and....

imo they'll have a good amount of salary cap space once they cut the players who haven't performed or are now injured and of dubious value going forward.  they should be able to get a couple of good free agents.  frankly that's about all they can tolerate.  they need to get their core guys through the draft.

7 minutes ago, Welp said:

Wish there was a big bodied FA WR on the market. Someone like Ashlon Jeffrey would do really well with Darnold

He's getting up there too & he's hurt now. I know we need Olineman but giving Scherff 15 million? For a Guard? Ouch. 

We might need to look into the next tier for Olineman? Yannick & Byron Jones & you've finished off the defense if you can retain Poole. 

If Bless Austin turns out to be as good as he's looked so far & only gets better, him & Jones would be freaking awesome CB combo of rangy CBs. 

We might have to go the Joe Haeg route & draft the sh*t out of a Oline & WR.  Especially if you got Byron Jones & Yannick in free agency. I just imagine lucking into Andrew Thomas & Biadesz! and finding a diamond WR with 1 of those 3rd round picks. 

16 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Ah yes Dante Fowler, apparently every year we should pursue him. Jet fans have been saying that for 3 years atleast. I say no, keep Jenkins and draft a non drama imploding OLB to go next to him.

lol

Yeah, Dante Fowler is like that hot girl you chase all through high school....and then you finally date her and find out she's a complete disaster as a girlfriend.

• Haha 1

Per OTC we have $61mm cap space for 2020.  After the cuts (Trumaine, Winters, McClendon, Roberts, Q and Winters) that number should be north of $90mm plus the increase in the cap spend figure.  I wouldn't spend $16mm on Scherff.  Too risky.  There aren't many FA OL to throw money at.  I would be sure to sign an OLB (Matt Judon - a Baltimore connection), and a CB or two (Byron Jones and Bradberry).  If he does go after a guard I would try to sign Ifedi or Thuney but not for stupid money.

A lot will also have depend upon whether Douglas feels Alex Lewis and Edoga can be relied upon as starters next year.  It wouldn't shock me if he tries to re-sign Beachum at a reasonable price until he can find a long-term fix.

If you can fill the OLB and CB spots in free agency, it's OL the entire draft.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Scherff?  Did you guys watch the game on Sunday?  

I get going with him if they feel he fits what they want to do, but he sure as hell does not seem like a "write a blank check" player to me.  Remember, I see him every week down here. 

I think 3 ILB is a lot to have under contract.  Even running  a 3-4 I don't want too many more of them.  Especially when you consider they can probably sign Hewitt back for near the minimum. 

I also don't think that trading top 5 picks is exactly how to build through the draft.  The reason the draft is the beef is because of the money that it saves.  You keep saving money by drafting quality.  Think of the Steelers. They didn't pay Burress, they replaced him with Holmes.  They didn't pay Holmes, they replaced him with Brown.  They drafted Smith-Schuster, but also paid Brown.  Whoops.

You need to draft quality players to save money.  Having Adams, instead of paying Berry saves money.  Having Darnold, instead of paying Cousins saves money.  Drafting/paying guys that can be replaced without a drop off by Neville Hewitt, Tom Compton, Jonotthan Harrison, etc. doesn't do sh*t for anybody. 

Scherff seems to grade out as an elite run blocker and a dreadful pass blocker. Useful, a lot better than what we have but not worth what he'd be asking.

I'm pretty happy with what we have at linebacker even now. I think the backups have done a pretty good job with the injuries we have and some will be brought back. Certainly not a weak point in the team or an area we can afford to focus on.

Trading down the pick really depends on where we are. Looking less and less likely that we'll be sitting on a player that could entice a haul with us winning and Tua going down. Ideally we the top OL on the board (Probably Thomas) falls to us and it's an easy decision. We've had pretty horrible luck in recent years with how the draft has fallen for us, even going back to Gholston. 

The OL should be a priority in the draft and free agency - The last time we had an elite line (maybe the best in the league) it was a bit of both- Whatever we can get. We're not building a contender right now - The short term objective should be seeing what Darnold can do in more favourable circumstances. 

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

lol

Yeah, Dante Fowler is like that hot girl you chase all through high school....and then you finally date her and find out she's a complete disaster as a girlfriend.

Because its all about looks with most guys, then you talk to her and realise she's a dumb biatch lol.

11 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

No thanks to Scherff. Would much rather sign an OLB and draft OL through the draft. 15 per year for Scherff is going to be crazy

I also noticed the Jets dlinemen beating him up on Sunday. He had trouble with Shep, Fatty, and McClendon.

47 minutes ago, rangerous said:

imo they'll have a good amount of salary cap space once they cut the players who haven't performed or are now injured and of dubious value going forward.  they should be able to get a couple of good free agents.  frankly that's about all they can tolerate.  they need to get their core guys through the draft.

According to OTC, the Jets have about $61mm of cap space next year.  Focusing on big ticket players, they can cut the following players and gain cap space:

Trumaine-$3mm

Avery W.-$6.5mm

Quincy-$2.4mm

WInters-$7.3mm

Roberts-$6mm

This totals about another ~$25mm of cap space, but the roster would have only 35 players signed.  That about an average of $4mm per player signed.  

I would probably keep Roberts and Avery, for this year, and draft offense.  

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

We need to come out of free agency with an OLB, 1 OL, and 1 CB.

If you're talking elite talent at those 3 spots, it's highly unlikely we'll be able to sign even one let alone 3.  Teams don't tend to let elite EDGE, OL or CB walk in free agency.  That's why they're constantly a need for most teams. 

Scherff seems on the surface to be a no-brainer but the Redskins are letting him walk for a reason, and that reason is flimsy pass-blocking.  Not exactly what we should be looking to spend big money on.  

We need to be looking to trade Adams and/or trade down from whatever pick slot we end up stuck at.  About 95 % of our issues need to be solved in the draft.