Sounds like Berrios will test the market

Lith

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I respect Berrios and his right to do what is best for him and his family. He doesn't owe us anything, and if he was so important to the team, JD would have wrapped him up by mid-season. I'm a huge Berrios fan, and I want him back. The Jets may not value him anywhere near as much as we do on this board. 

Exactly. 

You have to assume the Jets made and offer that they were comfortable with however, Berrrios and his agent felt was not overwhelming enough to just say yes. The Jets are right in their stance and Berrios is right in his.

How it shakes out we will see but my gut tells me he signs somewhere else. 

Does anyone know if Bornjets is part of the Jets front office? He will be thrilled if berrios leaves.

• Haha 1

We will see how all of this plays out, but it is hard for me to see Berrios having more value to another team than he does to the Jets, just based on the chemistry he has with Wilson.  Can't really blame either side on this one, not knowing what the Jets are offering, and Berrios getting his first shot at FA.

I hope we find a way to bring him back, but its free agency.  Ultimately it is the player's decision.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He may not get $9M on the open market, but he'll still get paid alot more money (than he did here) for a team that is (most likely) alot more competitive than the moribund Jets.

So yeah, not sure it'll be much of a "lesson".

I’m sure he’ll get more, he was making around league minimum.   If he gets $4M from someone else good for him I guess.  Either way, he is easily replaceable and won’t be missed a whole lot around here.  

26 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

He will be a career JAG unless he plays for Belichick where he'll turn into a pro-bowler.

Either way he's a nice player but not one I'd lose sleep over losing. Very overrated on here.

He's a beast for my Madden franchise though. Uncoverable from the slot, and fantastic on returns. I locked him in for 5 years at $4M a year, genius negotiator that I am.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I heard another interview with him where he was referring to his time with the Jets in the past tense. They either pony up huge for him or he’s gone.

They either beat other team offers or he's gone. If another team gives him a ridiculous contract, so be it.  He is easily replaceable, even though I like him a lot.

10 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

He's a beast for my Madden franchise though. Uncoverable from the slot, and fantastic on returns. I locked him in for 5 years at $4M a year, genius negotiator that I am.

Do you know Peyton Manning?

If so he could probably land you the GM gig.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So if Berrios walks, we're looking at Davis and Moore as the only decent WR's currently under contract then?

And we have people talking about drafting a Safety, lol.

Some of you "it's all about Wilson and Wilson only" guys need to get on the "support Wilson with some O-Skill talent" bandwagon with me.

Berrios contributes around 50 catches, Sure handed best in NFL punt returns, and the less important KO returns but hey who the **** needs a guy that does multiple things and can turn the field position game in our favor ? Apparently the Jets don't need it since we are so ******* good on offense. Wonder what we offered him ? Must have been insulting or maybe Douglas told him we would match the best offer if he gets one higher ?

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Hopefully not another Robby Anderson situation, where it drags on and he eventually leaves for a reasonable contract as a FA.

Fingers crossed that Berrios and the Jets can strike a fair deal for both sides.

Anderson was a loss?  Really?  He's not worth anything close to what Carolina is paying him.  I want to retain Berrios, but I didn't miss Anderson for one second and either did the Jets.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Berrios contributes around 50 catches, Sure handed best in NFL punt returns, and the less important KO returns but hey who the **** needs a guy that does multiple things and can turn the field position game in our favor ? Apparently the Jets don't need it since we are so ******* good on offense. Wonder what we offered him ? Must have been insulting or maybe Douglas told him we would match the best offer if he gets one higher ?

Who knows.  Clearly not enough to get him off the market.

I have come to like Berrios, and while I appreciate the "don't overpay" meta of some fans, we have to remember that Wilson is going to need more than just Davis and Moore (alot more tbqh) and the Jets are notorious for not spending all their available salary cap.

I'd rather overpay Berrios as a WR #3/#4/KR than see that money sit unspent and unused.

Again, it's early.  I suppose we all just have to wait and see what JD builds this offseason. 

If it's another 4 win team, I think I won't be alone in potentially advocating for change at that point.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Anderson was a loss?  Really?  He's not worth anything close to what Carolina is paying him.  I want to retain Berrios, but I didn't miss Anderson for one second and either did the Jets.  

I'm not a big Anderson fan, but Douglas admitted that he blew that negotiation, and would have signed Robby to the deal the Panthers gave him (2 years, $20M).

Hopefully he has learned not to get cute with guys he wants to keep, and doesn't lose Berrios to a fair market level deal.

• Upvote 1

I doubt Douglas' offer was a "take it or leave it" in that split second. He gave Berrios an offer what he deemed fair, and Berrios would like to explore other options to see what he can obtain before blindly accepting the offer.

If Berrios comes back and negotiates around that number and we get him back for a little over 5 mil a year, good for him. If he goes to another team because they will give him significantly more, good for him also.

Contract opportunities don't come around often for a player like Berrios. This could be his only "big contract." I would love to have him back, but at the right price. If another team significantly overpays, then we can pivot in FA or later in the draft to find his replacement. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

So if Berrios walks, we're looking at Davis and Moore as the only decent WR's currently under contract then?

And we have people talking about drafting a Safety, lol.

Some of you "it's all about Wilson and Wilson only" guys need to get on the "support Wilson with some O-Skill talent" bandwagon with me.

Totally on board. Any mock that doesn't have London or Wilson going to the Jets at 10 should be ignored lol

24 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I'm not a big Anderson fan, but Douglas admitted that he blew that negotiation, and would have signed Robby to the deal the Panthers gave him (2 years, $20M).

Hopefully he has learned not to get cute with guys he wants to keep, and doesn't lose Berrios to a fair market level deal.

To be fair, as I recall it was more that both Andreson’s team and Douglas thought Robbie would get a lot more.  

Robbie started testing the market, and by the time he settled with Carolina, Douglas had all ready allocated his wide receiver money.  I could see this happening with Berrios too, and it not being  ‘blown’ - so much as the longer that the two sides take without finding an acceptable common ground, the less likely it’s going to happen.   Douglas isn’t going to just keep 7M on the side in case Berrios wants it.  

Timing is everything, both ways.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Joe Douglas is just getting started.  He will fail in FA, just as he has in the past two years and the cherry on top will be Kyle Hamilton at 4.

JD is Idzik 2.0

• Upvote 1