Sounds like Berrios will test the market

Lith

13 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'd like to keep him but I won't be heartbroken if we let him walk either. I think he's pretty replicable.

You could make the same statement for about 75% of our roster including the starters.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, Biggs said:

You could make the same statement for about 75% of our roster including the starters.  

I agree, and since the goal is to improve and upgrade there aren't that many guys we have I'd be heartbroken to see leave.

When you draft poorly for a long time you just don't have a lot of talent worth paying a lot too.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

He will be a career JAG unless he plays for Belichick where he'll turn into a pro-bowler.

Either way he's a nice player but not one I'd lose sleep over losing. Very overrated on here.

Belichick already cut him. 

He's not bringing him back for big money.

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

So here's the deal with Berrios. Obviously his inner circle is biased, but they truly believes he can have a Wes Welker-like career and as much as the money is important he also wants the opportunity to play more consistently. Do I see that? No. I think he's closer to Cole Beasley. Still, Jets coaches, management, and Berrios are on the same page that if he were to return, he would have a larger role on offense. So that's check one. Next thing is destination and money. His agent is Rosenhaus, and Rosenhaus usually encourages the players to test the market if they're confident in themselves. 

His preference is to remain with the Jets, but he would absolutely be open to signing with the Dolphins if the offer is there. He loves Miami (lives there in the offseason) and a lot of friends are still down there. Ironically, most of those close to him are either in New York or Miami, and his girlfriend (Sophia Culpo) basically lives wherever he lives. New England would also be a place he would be interested in. 

End of day money talks and bs walks, so I'm sure he would consider other destinations, but I would hedge he'll remain in the AFCE playing with one of those 3 teams. 

Interesting, thanks. Seeing Berrios with a divisional rival would really suck.

Having a guy in Miami running the exact same system as us, and competing for the same players, is already getting annoying - especially with their in-built state income tax advantage over the Jets.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jets Things said:

He'd be an idiot not to. 

Exactly.   This is the one time in his life he can pick the team, and try to set himself up with long term financial security.

And, honestly, on the Jets they want Moore to be the primary slot guy.   If Berrios gets an offer from the Bills to be their #1 slot, and the money is the same or better, why would he not take it?

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Interesting, thanks. Seeing Berrios with a divisional rival would really suck.

Having a guy in Miami running the exact same system as us, and competing for the same players, is already getting annoying - especially with their in-built state income tax advantage over the Jets.

Yeah. I just get the sense that Miami is aiming higher at WR. If they aren't, then this could get bitter quickly 

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Exactly.   This is the one time in his life he can pick the team, and try to set himself up with long term financial security.

And, honestly, on the Jets they want Moore to be the primary slot guy.   If Berrios gets an offer from the Bills to be their #1 slot, and the money is the same or better, why would he not take it?

Sophia Culpo is NOT moving to Buffalo bro. 

• Haha 3

i am a big fan of his, but he is an undersized receiver who's main value comes on special teams. i would certainly like to keep him, but i am not overpaying significantly to keep him. if i am the jets i find a comp that i feel is fair, adjust for time since the contract and stick to that number.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, DLJ said:

This is stupid. Dude is a baller. If you’re getting rid of crowder why not pay him?

Because he’s a Smurf Brad Smith with half the talent and wants twice the pay.

A good 4th-5th WR with one year above average Kick Returning. I’d like to keep him at a commensurate salary. 

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Because a Smurf Brad Smith with half the talent and wants twice the pay.

A good 4th-5th WR with one year above average Kick Returning. I’d like to keep him at a commensurate salary. 

no one can deny that he is made to look way better by the lack of talent we had on the field last year. put Braxton Barrios on the field at the SB and see if he sniffs the field. I am a fan of his, but he is not someone to break the bank on.

• Upvote 1

Look at these 10 games from week 3-12.  

0 Receptions: 2x

1 Reception: 3x

2 Receptions: 4x

3 Receptions: 1x

He had 5 good games as a WR last year and 2 of them were in blowout losses (NWE, NOR).

Admittedly, he did seem to be turning the corner at the end of the year plus he has a lot of value on ST.  But let's just keep in perspective what we're looking at.  We wouldn't be saying "pay him $9M/yr" if he were only a ST ace.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BerrBr00/gamelog/2021/

image.png.0712a58fcc835607ebe05736b2dad373.png

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Joe Douglas is just getting started.  He will fail in FA, just as he has in the past two years and the cherry on top will be Kyle Hamilton at 4.

JD is Idzik 2.0

Good job. Root for failure.  And you can take 5 seconds of satisfaction in saying you were right while the Jets go back to square 1 with a new GM and CS.    Enjoy being miserable.

• Haha 1

So if he walks, what’s JDs grand plan here?  I mean the wr group was mediocre at best with him here and he was a bright spot. Moore seems legit, but beyond that is meh.  I don’t see a big splash in FA because that’s not JD’s mo.  So we potentially go into next season with a rookie wr #1 and a second yr wr #2 …or vice versa and a second yr QB… and a second yr rb.

now if we replace him with someone like DK ..sweet, but I don’t know the reality of that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Good job. Root for failure.  And you can take 5 seconds of satisfaction in saying you were right while the Jets go back to square 1 with a new GM and CS.    Enjoy being miserable.

I’ll be happy once they replace JD with someone who can draft and get FAs that contribute to wins.  

Tired of losing, you?

He can’t beat man coverage (yet). That hurts his value.  If Zach keeps running against man that might not matter as much.  

He’s a gadget play option and decent against the zone.  He’s a YAC threat if he gets some space.  

7 million a year?   There are really good WRs making like 14 million per year.  10 seems too high.  But if they won’t spend the money anyway 40 million is fine.