Do you think the Jet CAN win week one?

Maxman

6 hours ago, doitny said:

yes, but if Flacco starts. i dont think were doomed like some here do if he starts. we will be screwed if Zach starts after only a week of practice. 

this isnt anti Zach. this is getting him ready to play and not just playing him cause he is healthy. kid needs more than one week of practice.

He needs like a year

4 hours ago, jgb said:

They will likely get rolled by an established, well-coached Ravens squad. At best, the Jets gel and grow as the season goes on. Almost certainly the team needs to come together over the course of the season. So many new names on jerseys.

The Jets front seven is uniquely designed in that not only are they—to a man—painfully unathletic, they’re also all bad against the run. A run-stop grade of 65 is roughly average-to-good. Here are the Jets grades against the run from last season:

Quinnen Williams: 59

CJ Mosley: 38.5

Quincy Williams: 41.7

Nathan Shepherd: 46.8

Sheldon Rankins: 34.4

If the Ravens want to run outside, they can do that because we are slow. If they want to run it up the middle, they can do that too because our DTs are doormats. And who covers Mark Andrews? Sauce? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

I think the Jets are much improved from last year, but talent takes a while to come together. The team has 9 rookies and a ton of rookies from the previous years. Rookies make rookie mistakes. The OL has only played together in 1 1/2 quarters this preseason. We have two new starters and AVT is in a new position from last year.

The O looked okay against the Giants 2's and of course there were the 2 TOs - so, O looks mediocre with the OL not opening many holes for runners. I would expect that the Ravens secondary is much better than the Giants #2.

The D has much more talent than last year, but again, it takes a while to come together. While I expect our pass rush to be much better, but the run game is a question mark and so is our LB corp. With our new secondary and better pass rush we should be better against the pass - the Ravens O has a strong running game.

Based on the match ups and the fact that we have a lot of new players with a shortened preseason, I don't expect a victory or even a down to last possession game. That being said, I will be hoping for a victory, but I think Vegas is right, 25% chance of victory.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Not will they, but can they. Do they have a shot if they execute and play a good game?

Or do you have this one down as a definite loss no matter what they do?

Anyone can win a game.

The 0-14 Jets could beat the Rams.

Last year the Jets could beat the Super Bowl bound Bengals.

I'd be stunned if they do beat the Ravens, usually they pull upsets when it screws with getting a QB in the draft.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

+1 of course they can win? 

it’s just highly unlikely (starting OLine yet to gel, Defense ability to stop drives and TEs isn’t encouraging, we’re starting a 37 yo QB, Lamar Jackson isn’t on our team but will play in the game, etc)

Agreed. 
The OL issues is extremely worrisome. If they haven’t had time to gel, they lack the communication & “feel” for who’s responsible for which blitzer & misdirection rush  to peel off for. Baltimore’s 3-4 will bring pressure up the gut vs. an aging Flacco

Above all, understanding where the Qb is in relation to the pocket  Flacco will make that easier as he never runs.

For the running game, which will be very important to establish, do they & RB have a feel for how long to hold their block before moving onto the next block. How long does Hall/Carter have to hit the hole.

Fant & Brown must protect the Edge when OLB Oweh & Houston when blitzing. Tomlinson, McGovern & AVT must prevent the collapse of the pocket & open rushing lanes  No small feat against Campbell and Pierce  and the guy whose name I can’t spell

With our DB’s I’d have Whitehead near the line keeping an eye on Jackson Raven’s receivers don’t scare me  Kwon and CJ keep close to Andrews whichever side of the field he’s on  

With Houston & Byrnes in their 30’s , we might want to get Moore & Berrios and TE’s going early. I’d test Peters on the outside against Wilson  every so often.

We can win this game. It’s all on Lefleur to draw up the game plan and Flacco to keep us turnover free.

Jets 27- Ravens 25

• Upvote 2

The jets begin every game with a handicap due to their incompetent coaching staff, led by Saleh.  Unprepared, unmotivated, and unable to make adjustments, the Jets need to be significantly better talent wise for me to believe they will win. With a different coaching staff, especially head coach and defensive coordinator, I would be more excited about the infusion of talent. But with this staff, I have zero confidence they will perform nearly as well as if they had a top ten coach. I believe their coaching handicap is around 7 points each game. 

Could they win, of course . Will it happen, Extremely unlikely.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, PorP said:

I feel like the Ravens are going to be AFC representation in the SB

So unlikely. 

Don’t get this take. Why? Lamar? They have no notable WRs, hurt and injury prone RBs, a rookie hurt center. On defense it’s not like their is anyone who wows you as a unit. Good coaching sure, good reputation sure, but why people think the ravens are super bowl bound complexes me 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Don’t get this take. Why? Lamar? They have no notable WRs, hurt and injury prone RBs, a rookie hurt center. On defense it’s not like their is anyone who wows you as a unit. Good coaching sure, good reputation sure, but why people think the ravens are super bowl bound complexes me 

They are healthier than last year, drafted/FA'd well and lynch pin lamar is healthy....

Injured lamar and a decimated team still was an 8 win team. 

Not sure how that is complexing?

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I totally feel like Robert Saleh’s 32nd ranked defense will outright dominate an offense led by a newly-shredded Lamar Jackson in a contract year.

This defensive game plan is going to go a long way in shaping my opinion of our coaching staff going forward. 

They will finally have all their preferred defensive weapons at their disposal. By all accounts, they have a large rotation of DL who can get off the ball and get after the QB. Should have a secondary on par with the opposing pass catching group, if not an edge.  However, if they just pin their ears back and try to go after Lamar he will run for 150 yards.

Can the staff and players bring the energy of a new season but show extreme discipline schematically?  We shall see. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Agreed. 
The OL issues is extremely worrisome. If they haven’t had time to gel, they lack the communication & “feel” for who’s responsible for which blitzer & misdirection rush  to peel off for. Baltimore’s 3-4 will bring pressure up the gut vs. an aging Flacco

Above all, understanding where the Qb is in relation to the pocket  Flacco will make that easier as he never runs.

For the running game, which will be very important to establish, do they & RB have a feel for how long to hold their block before moving onto the next block. How long does Hall/Carter have to hit the hole.

Fant & Brown must protect the Edge when OLB Oweh & Houston when blitzing. Tomlinson, McGovern & AVT must prevent the collapse of the pocket & open rushing lanes  No small feat against Campbell and Pierce  and the guy whose name I can’t spell

With our DB’s I’d have Whitehead near the line keeping an eye on Jackson Raven’s receivers don’t scare me  Kwon and CJ keep close to Andrews whichever side of the field he’s on  

With Houston & Byrnes in their 30’s , we might want to get Moore & Berrios and TE’s going early. I’d test Peters on the outside against Wilson  every so often.

We can win this game. It’s all on Lefleur to draw up the game plan and Flacco to keep us turnover free.

Jets 27- Ravens 25

love your avatar. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't think ZDubs is playing anyway.  But you convinced me, if Zach plays I'll take the Jets on the money line.

You should absolutely! I hope it pays out.

I'm betting on Trubisky as CBPOTY, will kick myself if I don't and he wins. The line recently moved from +800 to +1400 with Picket's strong showing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Lamar’s contract year, many are expecting him to go off this season.