*******OFFICIAL NFL DRAFT DAYS THREAD*******

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

That's what they should have done. They have too many needs to take a luxury pick at #3. They could've, at the very least, gotten a 2nd this year and more picks next year which would've been very valuable in this draft. He screwed it up

What exactly should they have done?  Please, tell us exactly what trades Mac should have taken for the #3 pick?

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

How is Polite high-reward? His combine numbers would indicate low reward.

And did they really just draft a blocking tight end? We going holder next? If you didnt know better you'd think the Jets were intentionally botching this thing.

There are any number of reasons to think that the combine numbers aren't representative of his athletic ability. That's the good news. The bad news is that they're representative of his brain and that's worse.

Wesco is whatever. If he's our TE2 in reasonably short order the pick is a win. Everybody loves to take lottery tickets on day three but nobody has any real clue what they're worth relative to each other or to these kinds of picks.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Can they say why?

What exactly is this guy? He's slow, barely any production and in an Air Raid system, where it's hard to gauge blocking from TE.

It's a useless pick at a position we didn't need to waste picks on. When you have 12 picks, sure, take chances. When you have 6, need production or upside.

No, they didn't say why  GM's were throwing things when Wesco was taken. But immediately Kiper said how much Donald is going to love having Wesco on his line. How nasty he is, blocking, and pass catching ability. I get it, the stats don't say the same. But it's not as if commentators are afraid to criticize the Jets. They always do, and this time they didn't. 

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, I heard.  Except that TE is a need position as well, so what

Lets face it, has nothing to do with the position.  Has everything to do with its a name most have no idea of who he is, how he played and never expected to be taken.

Would have been happier with a half assed scrub WR whos names have been posted over and over

Nope.  A blocking TE who will have a minimal impact, at best and more importantly, could have been had two rounds later was a silly pick  A WR prospect for a team that desperately needs to improve that unit would have been a smarter pick.  An OL to create depth would have been a better pick,  a CB on a team thin at CB would have been a better pick.

8 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

I think the "tons of draft capital" scenario is what everyone wanted. I am no fan of Macc's but the way the draft fell, trading down and scoring massive draft capital wasn't in the cards. They were handcuffed unless they sold the #3 at less than fair value.  Sometimes sh*t happens and your are forced into taking BPA.

No value vs below fair value. Easy choice. We didn't need to make out like bandits. 

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

There are any number of reasons to think that the combine numbers aren't representative of his athletic ability. That's the good news. The bad news is that they're representative of his brain and that's worse.

Wesco is whatever. If he's our TE2 in reasonably short order the pick is a win. Everybody loves to take lottery tickets on day three but nobody has any real clue what they're worth relative to each other or to these kinds of picks.

Word. It's ok to not be excited about drafting a TE2 when you don't have a viable CB2 or OC1. Hard to be upset either way.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

Nope.  A blocking TE who will have a minimal impact, at best and more importantly, could have been had two rounds later was a silly pick  A WR prospect for a team that desperately needs to improve that unit would have been a smarter pick.  An OL to create depth would have been a better pick,  a CB on a team thin at CB would have been a better pick.

Can you show us your board please so we know for sure that no other team wanted him for two more rounds?

I liked how Jeremiah said there were probably other teams throwing things in their draft room because a lot of teams wanted Wesco.  Tired of people thinking a player is bad or the wrong pick because they never heard of a player. 
Everyone reading this that has watched 300 guys on film in preparation for the draft, raise your hand...no one will do it.

I listen to a lot of NFL radio as well and this guy was brought up and discussed all over the place. He was projected to go 4-5th rd and most felt he could very well be one of the top 3-5 TE in the entire draft.

Again, I am
Upset that we didn’t take. Damned C by now and we let M Jordan and ridley get away but this pick may be much better than we think right now.

If we can grab pierschbacher in the 5th I will be happy. This one is tough to swallow with no C but it’s a very strong pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

You’re wrong either way

I hope so. Just going by what I read, which doesn't exactly give glowing reviews of him as a receiver. His ability to break tackles is basically the only positive from a receiving standpoint - according to this guy of course.

Route-Running - Rudimentary route runner who was utilized on hooks, quick outs and the occasional seam run, mostly on play-action pop passes. Not a nuanced route runner and will need to develop his route tree significantly in order to be more impactful in this role in the NFL. Lack of athletic traits will prob impact his development in this area. Bends his patterns to find holes in zone. Needs to keep moving and run away from man coverage.

Ball Skills - 28 career catches, 26 of which came last season. Almost all simple, underneath grabs or schemed catches that involved little extra effort. Size and length to box out at the catch point, made one grab against TCU with a linebacker all over him. Sick one-handed grab in space vs. Oklahoma State. Natural hands and has snagged a few away from his body. Also suffered a couple drops last season on just a handful of targets.

Speed - Ran 4.89 and plays like it. Won’t threaten the seam or vertical portions of the field against man coverage. Slow starter who plays at one speed (slow).

Contested Catch - One contested catch on one contested target (that I saw watching basically every game) during his senior year at WVU, so only the Lord knows. 

YAC - I don’t know how a tight end this slow and incapable of elusiveness makes things happen after the catch, but here we are. Obviously not a make-you-miss type in space, nor is he a home run threat, but incredibly tough to bring down and has really good balance through contact. Withstands shots and carries defenders with him for extra yards. Carnage of missed/broken tackles left in his wake is eye-popping at times. 

Separation Quickness - Nada. One speed tight end who can’t sink his hips or get out of breaks quickly. Rarely ran hard-breaking routes and was an easy cover when he did. Significant gear down to change directions.

In any case surely "baby gronk" is a stretch.

2 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Can you show us your board please so we know for sure that no other team wanted him for two more rounds?

NOT the point.  The point is that blocking TE was not a greater need than the multitude of other needs the team has, especially with a 4th round pick,

• Thumb Down 1