Scale of 1 to 10 what is your confidence level in Darnold?

Down to a 4

you can talk about supporting cast all you want but the kid goes into a shell when things go bad. 

he missed some easy throws and made some bad decisions early in the game when we needed him to put the team on his shoulders. 

super nice dude....but he doesn’t have “it”

• Upvote 2

Here is what I walk away with today. Darnold is not the type of QB who can overcome team weaknesses. He is not the type to make a mediocre team better. 

Can Sam Alex Smith his way to success with a better than decent team around him? I really think so, Can he carry a bad team? No

3/10 with a mediocre to bad team

7/10 with a quality squad.

Darnold has a ton of talent in him, he just seemingly lacks one very important trait in a QB. The killer instinct. The cool under fire. The clutch ability. He always plays scared and overwhelms himself when too much weight falls on him. I believe that he is a better passer than Allen, but Allen has that cold-blooded trait. Darnold does not. Big games always scare him at a certain point. The only time where I haven't seen this is against the Texans and Cowboys. He just gets shaken too easily, can't have that. 

1/10 My faith in Trevor or any other young QB on this team would the same. 

It's not necessarily because of him though. Darnold has issues. He is never going to be a QB who comes into a bad offense and makes it work. He has not had a coaching staff or front office (This isn't hate on Douglas) that has supported him. The Bills GM last year said they knew Allen threw hard to catch balls and they targeted guys with a high catch rate and guys that caught the ball away from their body. They signed Brown and Beasely. It wasn't enough and so he went out traded for Diggs (who I was really impressed with...some of those catches where he held onto the ball)...

Now, that being said, Darnold doesn't have that kind of support. Unfortunately, due to timing, he's not likely to get it so he's going to to do it with a poor supporting cast so he's going to have to be a lot better to be a starter in the league. 

• Upvote 1

Started at 9. Down to 8.

Trying not to overreact to one bad game after the way he finished last year. But Sam was bad today, no disputing that.

Of the guys Sam played with last season only Crowder and Bell (half the game) were the same today I believe. The other 8 were all different. That’s no excuse but in a season with limited practices it can make it challenging... as does the Bills defense. 

• Upvote 2