Gregg Williams fired

Rhg1084

17 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I don't think Gase will be back either.

And, while I share the sentiment that he takes way to much blame here, I think something yesterday was glaring.  We saw a young running back put up a very nice game against a not good, but not awful Raiders run defense.  The Gase/Gore thing is inexplicable, especially with this most recent game.  Best guess as an explanation is that it's all about blocking assignments for Gase.  But, we ran the football well for the first time all season, and it came with Gore on the sidelines.

The team was built for Bell and Perine to be the primary ball carriers.  The only reason that Gore got all those touches was because Bell busted and was released and Perine can't stay healthy.  The two no-names we gave the ball to yesterday weren't given a lot of reps and needed to be coached-up mid-season.  

Yesterday wasn't about Gase blowing it with Gore; it was about Gase working miracles with two nobodies to the tune of almost 200 yards of rushing against a playoff team.  It's one of his finest moments.  It's exactly what so many are looking for-  signs that Gase can develop young players.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

And the Dolphins were never committed to a deep rebuild like this, two entirely different situations.

SAR I

You are clueless if you truly believe this.

Miami stripped there roster last year. For the first 7 games last year were considered a joke and tanking for the first draft pick. Most if not all thought they had the worst roster than the first year Buc's!

Big difference has turned out to be HC. If they had kept and Gase  do you think they would be 8-4 now?

• Sympathy 1

I seriously doubt he is back next year.  I fully expect him to coach out the rest of the year and be let go after the season.   Only 4 more games to go; why fire him now?  GW on the other hand made such a horrible call at time and in game they really should have won, made sense to send him packing now.    As some have said, the team is PR conscious and no way they want to deal with the fan revolt that would take place if they tried to bring Gase back next season.  Patience my friends.... Gase will gone soon enough.  

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Gase shutout vs. the Dolphins.  All 3 WR's healthy, OL healthy, Gore healthy, Darnold healthy.

but they fire Williams because of 1 play? 

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Gase is coming back, confirmed.

**** you Jets

Yep, I also wonder if we draft Trevor can he just opt out because of Covid? 

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Forget the names of the people we have in these roles for a moment, the key to being a stable, respected, competitive franchise is finding a HC and GM on the same page and patiently giving them the time to rebuild it in their image.

To become the likes of the Steelers or Ravens, we have to stay the course, we have to avoid the revolving door.  I would be very pleased if we could at least achieve that.  Gase and Douglas may not be the right guys in the end, but the strategy being deployed by the Johnson's is very sound.  That's what we need to remember.  And you had to expect that this would get ugly along the way.  A decade of awful drafting and broken culture can't be fixed smoothly, quickly, or cleanly.

SAR I

This guy, Gase has lost way too many games with double digit disparities.  I might, actually I would, cut a guy slack whose team is competitive Every week and at least in every game but that is definitely not the case with Gase.  You actually can make a case that he quits lots of the time.

His main job was supposed to be grooming Darnold.  Darnold’s play has regressed so horrifically I’d say he is not a starting NFL QB right now, and I thought the world of his potential...not anymore.

Gase has to go.

17 minutes ago, BleedinGreenNC said:

What he is doing here? Are we watching the same team this season? What type of hope are we supposed to have when the coaches cant get out of their own way?

Take a franchise most believe to be dysfunctional for the past 50 years.

Take a team who entrusted John Idzik and Mike Maccagnan to draft players.

Take a team believed to have the worst roster in the NFL and expected to win no more than 5 games.

Take away all the playmakers due to release, trade, or opt-outs (Mosley, Adams, Bell, Anderson).

Take away all the replacements due to injury (Perriman, Mims, Perine, Zuniga).

Take away the franchise quarterback as a bust (Darnold) and see him get injured as well.

That leaves a team capable of going 0-16 no matter who its head coach is.  Don't judge the coaching staff on W's and L's.  Judge them on the effort of the players and if the youngsters are developing.  Gase gets high marks on both counts.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, SAR I said:

Take a team believed to have the worst roster in the NFL and expected to win no more than 5 games.

Take away all the playmakers due to release, trade, or opt-outs (Mosley, Adams, Bell, Anderson).

Take away the franchise quarterback as a bust (Darnold) and see him get injured as well.

That leaves a team capable of going 0-16 no matter who its head coach is.  Don't judge the coaching staff on W's and L's.  Judge them on the effort of the players and if the youngsters are developing.  Gase gets high marks on both counts.

SAR I

players play hard because they get paid to play and want to have a job next year-that has nothing to do with the coach

• Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

The 'it makes sense to fire willaims now but not gase crowd' have me utterly baffled.

Williams has been been nothing but heroic coaching up a defense to the level it has been at the last two years with no CBs, ILB 'star' who taps out, his safety being dealt.  Quinnen williams suddenly looking like a player.

So fire Willimas over one play call meanwhile we see the jets running game look good behind to young backs and the ONLY reason they are out there is because gore got hurt.

The play call wasn't even that bad, no worse than the legion of gift hail marys where teams rushed 3 and let QBs run around back there and watch the one Wr catch the ball in amongst 5 secondary players.

Too bad we will never know who truly is behind this firing because the NY Jets are a coward organization. 

Exactly why I said Gase is behind the move and JD is a timid lamb or at least an ineffectual GM in name only.  If JD is truly calling the shots, come out and say "I fired Williams because".  So far, though, only crickets.

gase offense has been the worst in football-most of the wins last year were due to the defense-firing williams is comical-how can gase hold Williams "accountable" when the offense has been terrible since he got here lol

the sad lol is gase is back next year for sure

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Frank Bush, Assistant HC and ILB coach, will take over the D, per PFT.

Another bad sign.

Details are leaking out to sources like PFT.

A good owner/organization shows its face to the public to announce this and take questions from the media. Not seeing anything scheduled in that regard. Unsurprising to say the least.

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

sorry after watching the young rbs run all over the raiders gase should be fired for playing gore all year alone

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Gase and Gase alone cannot fire his assistant. That has be approved by management, because there is a contract with Williams, and the remainder of that contract has to be honored (unless Williams did something that is considered breaking his contract).

Again, Gase does not have this decision making.

Bet Judge didn’t have that nonsense to deal with when he fired the Oline coach. 

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets don't pay their people over the table 

you believe they pay GW under the table to tank? 

really? what else you got for us from the Weekly World News 

Proof please? Who have the Jets refused to pay . Just because you don't agree with their hires doesn't mean they don't pay . Maybe you have the Johnson's confused with the Wilpons

53 minutes ago, SAR I said:

WAKE UP:

The days of the Johnson's giving a rats ass what a bunch of selfish, impatient, entitled Jets fans fired up by the clickbait media think is over.

Listening to you people is what got us into this mess to begin with.  Your opinions no longer matter.  Enjoy.

SAR I

Well our opinions have the unfortunate characteristic of being accurate, unlike yours

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

We may need an organized fan movement to make sure the Johnsons fully realize how much fans care that Gase is not the coach in 2021.  I'm not that guy but someone out there is the hero we need and deserve.  The evidence of how awful a HC Gase is cannot be swept under any rug.  it appears that enough heat from the media and fans can sway their actions so let's get to it.

Some fans tried last year with the plane (and this year with a mini-protest but it was like 5 kids)