Your prayers are appreciated ...

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Thanks everyone for the continued thoughts, prayers, and well wishes. It means the world to us.  Lauren finished her 18 week treatment plan which was chemo every week and two hormone therapies every third week with the chemo. A bunch of side effects from the treatment but she battled through. At the end of the 18 weeks they did another set of scans.

When you get the results you are always hoping to hear, no sign of cancer, it is a miracle. The reality though with Stage 4 is that wasn't very probably after just 18 weeks. There was really good news though:

• All of the existing cancer responded to the treatment
  • Everything shrunk considerably; the oncologist was very happy

There was one new very small spot in one of her lungs. So what they decided to do was continue chemo with the hormone therapy but change it up. They are now using a different chemo drug that is combined with the hormone therapy and it is targeted. They have a way, it sounds a lot like immunology, to target the cancer cells.

So they are using a tougher drug that has been repurposed and will target the cancer that way.  This treatment is once every three weeks and it is only half an hour long, with no premeds. That part makes things easier because the first round the long day every 3rd week was 4 hours or so.

Thanks again everyone, the prayers are appreciated.

Max, I really don't fully know how to respond.  I am overjoyed that overall things are going in a positive direction.   But man, what your brave wife is having to endure.   And you, keeping the family and everything else running smoothly while she undergoes treatment.  Kudos.  Obviously, she has the heart and strength of a lion.   Please wish her well.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

On 10/20/2021 at 12:45 PM, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

How is Lauren holding up?

It must be hard to feel good with all the treatments and drugs. Better days lay ahead.

Thank you!

Once every 3 weeks now for treatment, the day of and few after treatment she is really tired. She battles through and the next two weeks were much better.

Treatment again on Wednesday this week.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 5:07 AM, Maxman said:

Definitely haven't had as much time on the board as I would have liked so far this year. Free time has been evasive in 2021.  :)

Luckily, the Jets havent given us much to post about...

Hang tough you guys, and get through this.

• Sympathy 1

On 11/3/2021 at 5:07 AM, Maxman said:

Definitely haven't had as much time on the board as I would have liked so far this year. Free time has been evasive in 2021.  :)

On 11/9/2021 at 12:48 AM, Vin said:

@Maxman, god bless you and your wife.   Hope everything continues to get better.

Oh and is it okay to curse here because I want to say :   F*CK CANCER!

(lost my mother to it way back in 2000)

Mine too.  To breast cancer in 1977.  I was 18.  With today's science, she would have had a great chance.  On this Thanksgiving, I will be thinking about you and I'm thankful that you and Lauren have the best of modern treatments available.  Hang in there.  I'm also thankful for this disturbed, quaint message board that you have provided and that occupies so much of my time.  Happy thanksgiving to everyone here.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 6

• 1 month later...

I'm amazed by the love and strength that you Max, Lauren and your family have together, making it through this.

It's a mind blowing, monumental journey, through a dark endless maze. You continue...even popping in to suffer us fools here. 

God bless you all, my prayers continue for Lauren on her strength and recovery.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I know I have the other pinned thread and I will end up merging this. Just wanted to give everyone an update.  Lauren has been undergoing chemo and hormone therapy for the recurrence of her breast cancer that had spread to a few places.  They started new chemo and it is a bomb, tough stuff but hopefully effective.  She gets whole-body scans again today, so we will see if things are still progressing in the right direction (the last scans were good).

Unfortunately, she had chemo on 12/30 and on 12/31 she wasn't feeling good. Short-staffed at Memorial Sloan Kettering, they told her to go to the hospital that they are affiliated with. She was admitted and the short version is she has some swelling of her brain, some cancer cells escaped, and were trying to set up shop in a new location.

Two weeks of daily whole head radiation will begin this week. They said this is treatable and the oncologist felt she will have a good outcome. It is serious and it is though, they said the radiation will know her out for the month of January.

We were about to go shopping for a New Year stay at home with the kid's party. The weekend ended up being Lauren in the hospital with no visitors.  Tough, really tough.

Thanks, everyone for all the support and prayers. You have been amazing. We appreciate it.  Off to MSK now to meet about the new treatment plan and for Lauren to get more scans.

I wish u guys the best. I am literally leaving with the wife now for a catscan on something in her bladder and freaking out in silence

• Sympathy 6