Saquon Barkley

OMA

Anyone interested in Jets taking a look at this guy should our friends decide to cut bait.  There is obvious potential and he could be a great pick up under this system.  I am not getting into contracts but this would not strike me as a Leveon Bell type situation and think the contract would be more incentive and team friendly (and cheaper).

OK, fire away... not expecting much support on this one.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

I thought he was an overrated prospect since before he was drafted.  Even in college he was -1,3,2,-6,-2,3,4,76 yards.  In the pros those long long td plays are less and once you get hurt a time or two they are even less. 

Would I give him a shot?  Yes but I do not think he will come cheap enough for a team like the Jets.  Some other team will want him more.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

If the money was right I would 100% entertain it. He’d be 1B behind Carter and could take 10-15 touches a game off his hand. Hopefully with that workload he would be able to stay healthier, since the Giants used him as a 3 down back.

With that said, backup RB comes with backup money. So I think that’s where the idea gets cut off

Lol if we signed barkley, we’d be signing him to be our number 1 back. Nobody who would be trying to land barkley would be trying to get him as their back up. Carter would be the 1b if the jets went out and got him.

• Upvote 1

Like others have said, it’ll come down to money and I just don’t think the RB position is where this regime plans to spend it. I’d like to add a veteran back, not sure if he’s the one, but this team has done very well with reclamation projects in the past. I doubt his price tag has come down as far as JD or I might prefer, lol. 

• Upvote 2

The is 0 chance that Joe Douglas has any interest in trading for Saquon Barley.  We will be drafting a thunder back to go along with Michael Carters lightning in the 2nd or 3rd round of this draft.

Jet fans listen to what your GM tells you and we wont have to start silly threads like this.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

For a 4th round pick, it might be worth a roll of the dice.  Cap hit of $7.2M for 2022, last year of his contract.  If he is healthy, has a good season and walks in FA, we could get that pick back as a comp pick.  

For a 4th round pick and $7.5mm I think it's a no brainer.  .

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, KRL said:

Absolutely not.  Too injured and too much $$$ on his contract.  Build the OLine, maximize Michael

Carter and maybe draft another RB in the 4th-5th round

7 million for Saquon doesn't seem like too much money. He will be 2 years removed from his ACL so a bounce back is possible. The issue is the Jets shouldn't give up what the Giants will want in compensation. Although the Giants may soon realize that the the best they can do is a mid round pick. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The is 0 chance that Joe Douglas has any interest in trading for Saquon Barley.  We will be drafting a thunder back to go along with Michael Carters lightning in the 2nd or 3rd round of this draft.

Jet fans listen to what your GM tells you and we wont have to start silly threads like this.

Thanks Joe, but where was a trade mentioned ?  I am posing this as he is available in the open market.

I wouldn’t be against it for one of our 4th rounders. That’s where I wanted the Jets to draft a RB anyway. And there’s no doubt that Barkley is more talented than a James Cook or Rachaad White. Sure you’re paying more in salary, but whatever. We have the cap space and it’s not like dudes are going to be lining up to sign here.

The Jets would actually have the perfect setup for Barkley. Even as it stands right now before FA and the draft, the Jets have a better OL than the Giants. And with Carter in the fold, he wouldn’t have to be on the field in obvious passing situations. Carter excels in pass pro while that’s by far the weakest aspect of Barkley’s game.

Having those two split carries could keep both guys fresh and potentially give the Jets one of the most dynamic backfields in the league.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lith said:

For a 4th round pick, it might be worth a roll of the dice.  Cap hit of $7.2M for 2022, last year of his contract.  If he is healthy, has a good season and walks in FA, we could get that pick back as a comp pick.  

Exactly. Really like this plan. It's a good gamble on a player that could exceed the pick-we-traded-for value and then recoup you a pick next year.

The key is to have the discipline that if even he does play well, you have to let him walk next year. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lith said:

They not trading him to the Jets dude.

• Upvote 1

Well it’s not like we won’t trade with the Giants they made the deal for Leonard Williams. Probably Barkley wouldn’t be against it he wouldn’t have to move. He’s definitely worth a 4th rounder and on the Jets he wouldn’t be an every down back. I think it would be about salary and what they’d have to pay him. Barkley is due 7 million in 2022 and is a free agent in 2023.

I like the quantity of picks we have. Therefore I would swap the 68th for the 79th overall and Barkley with the Giants. The value of the swap equals out to the 23rd pick in the 4th round. Probably ask them if they would like Perine. 

Wouldn't expect Barkley to be a savior but at 25 years old and entering a contract year, I would expect him to surprise some folks.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I’d trade a 4th for him, Carter and Barkley would be a great backfield 

We'd be lucky to get 2 games out of him at 100%

Everyone, we are the Jets, one of the most injured teams. Why the hell are any of you sitting here thinking an oft injured player is going to suddenly play healthy for us of all teams?

• Sympathy 1