The (Official) 2021-2022 New York Knicks thread.

Coach Tom Thibs turned us around from 21-45 to 41-31 and a 4th seed along with the NBAs #1 Defense that ended an 8 year playoff drought (during only year #1).

Tom-Thibodeau-wins-2020-21-NBA-Coach-of-the-Year.thumb.jpg.120d22fe215f137b7d3345a1a256dd09.jpg

Julius Randle became the 1st NBA player since Larry Bird's MVP season to average over 20 points/10 rebounds/5 assists/+.400% from 3 (he averaged 24.1 points, 10.2 rebounds, 6.0 assists with a 3PT% of .411% from 3).

image.thumb.png.4f62a0db270aeeb5a3c94d605897d5df.png

image.thumb.png.c92bf089d9427d280be83af6f5303f8c.png

RJ Barrett is one of only eight players in NBA history to record more than 2,000 points, 500 rebounds and 300 assists before turning 21 years old (Kobe Bryant. Kevin Garnett. Tracy McGrady. Carmelo Anthony. LeBron James. Luka Doncic. Kevin Durant. And now... R.J. Barrett). 

image.thumb.png.86a73e704e51b4a988088993f6182e03.png

Immanuel Quickley was stolen as the SEC Player of the Year at pick #25 of the 1st round before draining 100+ made 3's along with a beautiful floater, an NBA All-Rookie selection and also a Team USA Select selection. 

image.png.3e27aad080addf5bff450476e2da800f.png

Mitchell Robinson who's got freakish athleticism was deeply missed during our Atlanta series as the Defensive Anchor to Tom Thibs #1 ranked NBA Defense.

image.thumb.png.ab3a98c8ec7bb4a3c5237815869b1a07.png

And Obi Toppin a homegrown N.Y kid might've backed up an All-Star PF in Julius Randle but he's an exciting talent and the definition of a team player. His New York Knicks childhood dream came true on draft night. image.thumb.png.b690195cb3b9f670ddd8685504097387.png

WE ARE THE NEW YORK KNICKS

(and these are our 5 N.Y kids to continue building around because throughout the 1990's we went 10-0 @ making the playoffs and thus far we're 1-0 @ making the playoffs here in the 2020's).

@Philc1 

@14 in Green

@Integrity28

@BROOKLYN JET

@Icer

@JustEndTheSuffering

@Bronx

@TuscanyTile2

@UntouchableCrew

@RutgersJetFan

@Dcat

@greenwichjetfan

@clayton163v

@slimjasi 

@32EBoozer

@nycdan 

@David Harris

@SMC

@CSNY

@Jets0712

@TnT

@playtowinthegame

@BigRy56 

@Beerfish

@82nd Airborne

@Wonderboy

@Bless you....Thank you

@HessStation

@Sonny Werblin

@EM31

@JetsFan1986

@JEsTer

@Barkus 

@talisaynon

@Vader

@Mogglez

@prime21

@Bungaman

@Losmeister

@Miss Lonelyhearts

@Skeptable

@ASH1962

@TheClashFan

@The Voice of Reason

@Matt39

The 2021 NBA draft is just a couple of days away (5 days away) on July 29th or 2021 (this Thursday).

And we've got 4 picks (#19, #21, #32 and #58). 

Let's get this New York Knicks party started:

image.thumb.png.0f6047cc9d6390791a2ad885d177142b.png

• Upvote 3

This is the kid who I want @ pick #19 and reminds me of a younger Kyrie Irving coming out. 

Sharife Cooper: PG (6'1 / 180 lbs).

This kid absolutely destroyed the SEC as an attacking/scoring PG but yet has top of the line passing ability due to excellent court vision. 

20.2 points per game, 8.1 assists per game, 4.3 rebounds per game and 1.0 steals per game (those numbers are absolutely disgusting out of a True Freshman)

He didn't have the best FG% @ only .391% but I couldn't care less because @ only 20 years old he'll have time to develop his jump shot and he's an absolute floor general out there.

If we don't trade up this is the kid I'll have my fingers crossed for. 

23 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

The NHL draft has been going on, and hockey is a million times better than basketball.

Kids around American playgrounds would completely disagree with you and so does USA T.V. Ratings.

• The 2020/2021 National Hockey League (NHL) regular season achieved an average total audience delivery (TAD) of 391,000 viewers across NBC and NBCSN.

• An average of 1.34 million viewers tuned in to watch NBA regular season games across ABC, ESPN and TNT in the 2020/21 season.

• The 2021 NBA Playoffs overall (inclusive of Finals) averaged 4.25 million viewers (NHL only averaged and the NHL? Only 1.3 million). 

To each our own but I can't become obsessed with a Canadian/Russian sport where (it feels like) 90% of elite NHL players are dominated by foreign players but yeah, to each our own and when the Rangers are in the playoffs I'll tune in and root for NY but other than that it's just a meh sport for me. 

• 28.1% of NHL players are American USA born and I just can't fall in love with a water sport like that. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

For who?

Sharife Cooper:

That's who I want @ pick #19. 

He absolutely destroyed the SEC as only a true Freshman last year and recorded 20.2 points per game, 8.1 assists per game, 4.3 rebounds per game and 1.0 steals per game (those raw numbers were better than R.J's Freshman #'s @ Duke) and if he played for a powerhouse basketball program such as Duke/UNC/Gonzaga/FSU etc I believe he'd go top 5. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Vader said:

Playoffs were such a bummer…

Yeah but the season wasn't; it was one of the greatest turnarounds in Knicks Franchise history (while erasing an 8 year miserable postseason drought).

And we went 3-0 during the regular season vs. Atlanta but we had to play them during the playoffs without Mitchell Robinson and yes injures happen but if you were to remove Clint Capela (and make them start a scrub @ Center) and give us Mitchell Robinson as our best rebounder and the anchor to Thibs #1 Defense? Atlanta wouldn't have beaten us either. 

The good news despite the 1st round exit?

Last year was only year #1 under Thibs and come the offseason we'll have damn near 3 1st round picks along with A+ available salary cap space in order to replace and upgrade over awful players such as Elfrid Payton, Frank Ntilikina and Kevin Knox (who coach Thibs wanted absolutely no part of and refused the play). 

(Neither one of Immanuel Quickley/Obi Toppin will be rookies anymore either).

Last year we went from...

• 21-45 (.318%) to 41-31 (.577%).

(25th worst NBA Record to 11th best NBA record).

• 27th in 3PT% to 2nd in 3PT%

(every single player improved their 3PT% from just the year before under Thibs due to becoming a much more disciplined team). 

• 18th in Defense to #1 in Defense.

(That's unheard of).

• Our two most important Franchise Players in R.J. Barrett and Julius Randle improved big time under coach Thibs. 

Etc. Etc.

Our turnaround from 2019-2020 to 2020-2021 was absolutely remarkable (1996 Rich Kotite to 1997 Bill Parcells esque).

(and with our draft picks + #1 available salary cap space our NYK future has never been brighter man). 

We're going to have so much more Player/Coach/Team chemistry next year during year #2 under coach Thibs and we're also going to have a much improved roster; meaning that 2021-2022 is going to become super fun for us longtime suffering Knicks fans. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Sharife Cooper:

That's who I want @ pick #19. 

He absolutely destroyed the SEC as only a true Freshman last year and recorded 20.2 points per game, 8.1 assists per game, 4.3 rebounds per game and 1.0 steals per game (those raw numbers were better than R.J's Freshman #'s @ Duke) and if he played for a powerhouse basketball program such as Duke/UNC/Gonzaga/FSU etc I believe he'd go top 5. 

Bleacher Report stating Beal is deciding whether to ask for a trade prior to draft.

Any interest?

image.thumb.jpeg.5234dfe8957da8ee30b916535a43d63d.jpeg

46 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Bleacher Report stating Beal is deciding whether to ask for a trade prior to draft.

Any interest?

image.thumb.jpeg.5234dfe8957da8ee30b916535a43d63d.jpeg

No way.

We'll have to literally gut the entire team of youth and involve all 3 of RJ/Immanuel/Robinson + multiple 1st round picks in order to land Beal. 

I rather just sign guys like Lonzo Ball (PG) and Duncan Robinson (SF) or gamble on and splash on Kawhi Leonard (SF) or even better; wait until next offseason where that FA class is absolutely loaded. 

We shouldn't be trading for any player right now. Not when trading for Melo destroyed our team youth and overall potential.

FA or draft but trading is an awful idea for our Knicks.

And plus I believe Beal is a FA come next offseason too so it's counter productive to trade for him (imo).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

If the Knicks can trade 19 and 21 for maybe pick 12 or 13, should they?

As a UT Vol alumnus, I'm hoping either Keon Johnson or Jaden Springer falls to the Knicks, wherever they end up picking.

I really like Keon Johnson too he just set the NBA All-Time combine record with a 48 inch vertical because his athleticism is off the charts. 

I think it'll take 19/21/32 in order to move up to top 10 range and I wouldn't do it because the draft outside of the top 3-5 is always a crap shoot and I'd rather have more darts to throw in order to draft a potential game changer and impact player. 

They're saying this 1st round draft is as deep as it's ever been from top to bottom dating back to 1996 and having 2 picks at 19 and 21 sounds pretty awesome to me man because there are so many talents who I absolutely love. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

What an offseason we've had. I'm giving it an A+

(And for multiple reasons too).

1.) Drafting two coach Thibs types of players to develop long term in Miles McBride and Quentin Grimes is big time because they've both got Defensive ability and both can shoot the 3 ball. Exactly what coach Thibs was looking for. 

2.) Bringing back the veteran crew who helped lead us to an Eastern Conference 4 seed (as role playing role players) in Derrick Rose, Alec Burks, Nerlens Noel and Taj Gibson is going to give us so much team chemistry during year #2 under Coach Thibs. 

3.) Evan Fournier is an awesome upgrade over a one Reggie Bullock. We don't need more defense, we need offensive ability and unlike Reggie Bullock; Evan Fournier can do things in which Bullock never could which is A.) Put the ball on the floor and B.) Create for teammates. This kid can drop 20+ any given night. Balling out with team France too. I really like Evan Fournier as our SF who can not only drain the 3 at over .400% but also create shots for himself and his teammates. He's never been surrounded by this type of overall talent currently on the Knicks so he's going to be a PROBLEM. 

4.) Kemba Walker. Oh my GOD he's coming home to NYC and MSG. My favorite offseason addition. Now Derrick Rose gets to go back to being our sparkplug off the bench. Awesome addition because not only is he a 4x All-Star (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019) and even dropped 20 points and 5 assists per game last year of 2020 (although was hurt throughout much of the season) but he's an absolute TRAE YOUNG KILLER. He's 4-1 @ .800% vs. Trae Young All-Time. Trae Young can not guard Kemba Walker and Trae Young can not beat him either. Kemba had too much NYC heart and doesn't back down from Trae Young and attacks Trae Young on Defense every time he has the rock in his hands. Can also drain the 3 too. Kemba Walker @ PG is going to make all 4 of R.J. Barrett, Evan Fournier (great chemistry together), Julius Randle and especially Mitchell Robinson so much better (Robinson will now feast alongside of him). Last but not least in 2019-2020 KEMBA WALKER not only led Boston to the Eastern Conference Finals and took Miami 6 games but he absolutely destroyed and swept Philadelphia 4-0 and absolutely dominated Toronto in 6; NEW YORK NOW HAS AN ALL-STAR PG ONLY 31 YEARS OF AGE. 

5.) But my favorite offseason move was signing Julius Randle long term for under $120M when he could've gone over $200M next offseason. This man is a leader and wants to win an NBA Championship. And just saved us long-term over $80M. Not only was he an All-Star last year but he became the first NBA player to avenge over 20 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists per game @ over .400% from 3PT since Larry Bird's MVP season and he put up damn near identical numbers of Jokić MVP season @ 24 points, 10 rebounds and 6 assists at .411% from 3. This kid is going to FEAST with Kemba attacking opposing D's. 

NY is now fully loaded and with a healthy Mitchell Robinson, Atlanta can no longer beat us. We're a top 3 Seed. 

C; Mitchell Robinson. 

PF: Julius Randle. 

SF: Evan Fournier. 

SG: R.J. Barrett. 

PG: KEMBA WALKER. 

That's disgusting. Julius Randle is an All-Star. KEMBA WALKER is an All-Star. And both R.J. Barrett at 21 and Mitchell Robinson at 23 have All-Star potential. I'm looking for R.J. Barrett averaging over 22 points per game this upcoming season.

C; Nerlens Noel. 

PF: Obi Toppin. 

SF: Alec Burks. 

SG: Immanuel Quickley. 

PG: DERRICK ROSE!

That's the best backup unit in all of baseball. The deepest in depth and the most deadly potential with great team chemistry too. 

Miles McBride (PG), Quentin Grimes (SF) and Luca Vildoza (combo guard) now gives coach Thibs 3 younger prospects to develop behind a bunch of veteran's over the next 2-3 years. 

• Kemba Walker and Derrick Rose have both had durability issues over the years but not anymore. They will work together and keep one another healthy moving forward. I'm loving it. 

We're now 10 deep and will compete and contend against both Milwaukee and Brooklyn for the top 3 spots here in the EASTERN CONFERENCE. With Mitchell Robinson returning + Kemba Walker/Evan Fournier we've now upgraded tremendously over Trae Young and his and his Atlanta Hawks.

In 2012-2013 we were a two seed under Melo but this 2021-2022 NY squad has 10x better DEFENSE and much deeper in overall talent/depth and coach Woodson is nothing in comparison to coach Tom Thibs.

NYC basketball is BACK!

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 12:25 PM, #27TheDominator said:

Boy.  That banning took much of the fun out of this thread.

True, but it's a little more concise. I'm just jealous of how he found the time to search/paste so much stuff on every thread, being a dad and working etc. I barely have time to read and comment let alone research and create topics.

On 10/6/2021 at 11:14 AM, talisaynon said:

Damn good show last night. Didn't even bother watching that sh*t show which is the Yanks (so predictably bad) but wow the Knicks...they are DEEP this year..

Hoping for another fun year at the Garden to carry me through the late fall, winter, and spring months. 

The Jets season should be over by Halloween, as per usual :(

• Upvote 1

On 10/11/2021 at 6:29 PM, slimjasi said:

Hoping for another fun year at the Garden to carry me through the late fall, winter, and spring months. 

The Jets season should be over by Halloween, as per usual :(

I am just intrigued as heck about Mitchell Robinson and these rumors about him bulking up. If it doesn't adversely affect him  (that weight better not lead to more foot injuries,) Embid, the Lopez brothers and other beefy centers might be in for a rude awakening when backing down Mitch is no longer possible. I am also high on McBride - hope he steps into the #3 PG position behind Rose and Walker.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I am just intrigued as heck about Mitchell Robinson and these rumors about him bulking up. If it doesn't adversely affect him  (that weight better not lead to more foot injuries,) Embid, the Lopez brothers and other beefy centers might be in for a rude awakening when backing down Mitch is no longer possible. I am also high on McBride - hope he steps into the #3 PG position behind Rose and Walker.

Agreed.

This Knicks team is DEEP and built to have a good regular season, IMO. I'm really hoping RJ can take that next step and become an all-star. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Agreed.

This Knicks team is DEEP and built to have a good regular season, IMO. I'm really hoping RJ can take that next step and become an all-star. 

Not only are the Knicks deep but it’s depth with talent.  This team has 10 players that can do damage.  Guys like IQ, Obi, Burks that can come off the bench and put up 20+

• Upvote 1

Well, let's see what tonight has to offer. Being it's Friday night, I can have more than one beverage and a wee bit of that cannabinoid stuff to help my aching back, and maybe my DSL will hold up so I can watch them and enjoy. Even the last five guys on the roster would be fun to see, to find out if they have something - though the rookies should be fine. Hope they get some time off the pine.

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

The 3 pointer has ruined basketball

I was just thinking the same thing. Haven’t watched much basketball the past decade or so. Watched knicks playoffs last year and now tonight. The 3 is almost automatic at this point. Not what I remember from my younger days 

• Upvote 1