Pauline: Jets thirsty for Trevor Penning at 10.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The bold would have been before they picked up Tomlinson, though, no? Then again, they've also kept GVR on and re-signed backups McDermott & Feeney, so it'd be odd if the "soft" moniker is referring to any of those 3. Plus they also were allegedly making efforts to re-sign LDT, too, but it's possible he turned down the offer because it was only to be a backup (where they'd then cut GVR). 

Plus while he was needed far more than expected, Moses was merely fine (I'd have been ok bringing him back as a backup, but not as the starter again). I don't know that Moses is soft, though. More like he lacks the finesse & quickness to handle edge rushers, but he was a solid run blocker, and (like with LDT) it's doubtful they'd have wanted him back in a starting capacity so it's unsurprising if they were holding off making any offers unless he couldn't land a starting role. I'd prefer him at $5MM to McDermott at $2MM, though it may not have been that simple: these guys want to start.

Referring to Becton as soft hardly needs elaborating after missing 16+ games last year (and the tapping out thing from before Saleh got here).

However...while Fant took right to playing LT, in terms of not surrendering sacks, when it comes to run blocking I have this image of Fant trying to catch a butterfly on his finger. Despite his size, the last thing he is is a nasty/punishing run blocker. Much to the surprise - and/or dismay - of most here, I think in the event they do pick up a new tackle he's as likely to be the odd man out than Becton, who's also 7 years younger, locked up for longer, has far higher upside as an all-around performer, and for $5.5MM in new money for the next 2 seasons combined (vs. Fant's $28MM for the next 2 seasons, if he's tagged next year). 

It could be telling that Fant hasn't been extended yet (plus Fant's recent tweet - I forget the exact wording but iirc it was something like What's a brother gotta do? - might indicate he's aware he might not be in their future plans, or that they're not willing to commit to him longer term until after seeing what happens in the draft). Plus while he is coming off a career year, too many GMs fall into that trap of expecting an outlier season to become the new baseline going forward (not to mention he's been no ironman himself), and getting stuck with a contract they'd soon love to rescind. Saleh stated publicly Becton wasn't just going to get the LT job handed back to him. All of us (understandably) assumed that meant competition with Fant, and it probably did mean just that back when he said it, but it might still hold true coming up but with a different player competing with him for the starting LT job.

I've no idea what Fant's trade value is, though. He does have this year at very cheap for a starting veteran LT, and then can be tagged next year (OTC estimates it'll be just under $18MM), without a commitment needed until after this season's over. He also turns just 30 this summer (not old for an OLman). 

My own strong preference is to leave this situation alone for the year so they can focus on other positions up top, plus just sign better veteran tackle depth than McDermott/Edoga, which is very much still out there, and draft a developmental OT in a mid-round pick. I still wouldn't be shocked with any of the 3 possibilities (drafting a rd 1 tackle and moving on from Fant; drafting a rd 1 tackle and moving on from Becton; not drafting a tackle until day 3 and sticking with Fant/Becton for this year). 

Fant being the odd man out and getting traded would certainly be a choice, and not one I would expect. It would be risky in the short-term, IMO, considering Fant's level of play last year and Becton's unreliability, and I'd have to assume it comes along with another veteran OT acquisition as insurance.

Should it work out in the long run, then you're still looking at having 3 1st round draft picks on the Oline who will all want to get paid accordingly. Now, could JD finagle the cap to get it done? Perhaps. Maybe get a hometown discount on one or two of them? Maybe. Could he flip one for future assests that include 1st round+ value instead? Sure. But is that really the smartest allocation of resources?

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What could you get for Becton right now though?

I doubt a first.  Maybe a 2nd, likely a 3rd.  Or something like a 3rd and 5th.

If you're going to draft a T at 10, then you should probably just pull the trigger on a deal like that.

Under normal circumstances, it would not be unreasonable to expect a 2nd round pick for Becton. With JD making the trade, nothing would surprise me. It would not shock me one bit if JD got a 2022 2nd, 3rd, and 2023 4th and 6th rounder. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

“Penning could come off the board as early as No. 10 to the New York Jets. I’ve been reporting since the Senior Bowl that Penning is a favorite of general manager Joe Douglas. As we spoke about during last week’s edition of the Draft Insiders, the saga with Mekhi Becton continues.

Jets coaches have confided to several players the team will go offensive tackle early in the draft. Whether early means the fourth selection, 10th pick, or the top of Round 2, I cannot tell at this point.”

#10, Penning.

Yea, something very PTSD-y about all of that. Hard pass.

• Haha 3

“Penning could come off the board as early as No. 10 to the New York Jets. I’ve been reporting since the Senior Bowl that Penning is a favorite of general manager Joe Douglas. As we spoke about during last week’s edition of the Draft Insiders, the saga with Mekhi Becton continues.

Jets coaches have confided to several players the team will go offensive tackle early in the draft. Whether early means the fourth selection, 10th pick, or the top of Round 2, I cannot tell at this point.

My completely biased, wishful-thinking interpretation of Pauline's semi-reliable rumor mongering is to read more into the bold part than the Penning part.

I get that he's got the demeanor and athleticism, but didn't he get beat routinely in those 1v1's? Am I missing something?

Feels like the big takeaway here is Becky's offseason work has not dissuaded us from taking a tackle high. Feels like Ekwnou is probably the highest ranked dude on our board. If he drops to 4, I can't see us passing. 

• Upvote 1

Just not seeing how spreading info about possibly using pick 10 on the fourth OT is beneficial to the Jets, though.

Assumption is that if you're picking between 4 and 10, and you have your eye on an OT, you can't trade back, you pick him now. Other players fall (wild speculation in response to a rumor that the coaches are informing their team of their draft plans weeks ahead of the draft).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mark78 said:

Season of misinformation 

Misinformation indeed.

The Jets have  Offensive Linemen coming out of their ears. No Wide Receivers worth mentioning and their best Running Back is a Rookie that put modest numbers. But HEY the Jets have great O Linemen. Maybe we can watch Zach just stand behind the line of scrimmage holding the ball while the Linemen throw blocks.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barton said:

I guarantee you if the Jets draft Penning or another O-tackle in the 1st rd that it will not be for replacing Fant. Becton would be a goner.

Interesting stat on the penalties, bit. That is extremely high. Penalties from your Olineman are drive killers. That's a terrible #.

Do we really believe Fant is going to be extended to the tune of 15 mil per? Do we really believe that jd is willing to admit that Becton stinks. Cmon 

Cheaper to draft a tackle then to find a bag for Fant 

5 hours ago, Drums said:

I think it can be insurance on Becton and Fant. Becton might not work out, in which case, he slides in. On the other hand, Becton could work out, and then Fant walks in FA and he slides in there. Fant has to duplicate his good year last year too, that’s a hope not a guarantee (and I’ve been a Fant supporter since day 1). 

Good points. Personally, I would like to see them re-sign Fant and move Becton to RT. I really do believe Becton would flourish there. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Do we really believe Fant is going to be extended to the tune of 15 mil per? Do we really believe that jd is willing to admit that Becton stinks. Cmon 

Cheaper to draft a tackle then to find a bag for Fant 

Between the fant and becton uncertainty the jets could use a tackle.  

• Upvote 3

We need edge rushers. We have not had someone that can get 10 sacks in a long time. That will make our secondary better. I think Saleh likes the kids in the secondary we have now. A nasty OL guy would be nice but maybe Becton is maturing and a better pick is a WR. Can always get a OL in second round.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What ensures the better outcome for Douglas:

Trade Becton for picks and a receiver, draft Penning, extend free-agent coup Fant with a midrange OT contract

-or-

Sit tight, hope a butthurt Mekhi Becton opts to put the XBox controller down long enough to come to camp in shape, and then pray he doesn’t get a sprained ankle that keeps him out for 12 weeks

what is better for Douglas is to win games and to win games he needs someone to sack the QB and to make TDs.

i dont get this board that needs to have the " Best of the Best of the Best, with Honors" OL but would let us wait till rd 2 to get the 10th best WR or Edge in this draft. 

you can draft a good Tackle in the 3rd round as a Backup to Becton and next year he could replace Fant, the entire NFL gets there OL not in the 1st rd why do we have to? 

TDs and sacks win football games. we are in the position to fill 2 of those spots with 2 top guys at those positions and were not going to pick one over a Tackle? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I can’t wait to see this board meltdown if Douglas takes another 1st rd offensive lineman 

i cant wait to see it melt in Dec when the WR or Edge we passed on to draft that OL has a really good year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Mark78 said:

Season of misinformation 

100%, I do think there is a ton of smoke around us going OL though to the point where I think it's true. At least to some extent. I could see the Jets using an OT as leverage in Fant negotiations saying "hey sign a long term deal and we'll move Becton, otherwise you'll be traded at the deadline"

I expect us to take C higher than most and trade McGovern to a team like the Chargers for a mid round pick.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

"hey sign a long term deal and we'll move Becton, otherwise you'll be traded at the deadline"

threating to trade a guy off a 4 win team with the worst rated QB, thats funny. 

and at the deadline? with 2 months to go before he is a FA? not sure what you expect to get.

9 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Wow, you really took my post out of context.  My post was referring to the post made by someone saying that Becton's ceiling was Ogden which is high up on the scale of OT's.  So, I took the opposite end of the scale and said the basement was Mandarich.  

And all I am suggesting that I disagree with Mandarich.  Not thinking I took anything out of context.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, doitny said:

threating to trade a guy off a 4 win team with the worst rated QB, thats funny. 

and at the deadline? with 2 months to go before he is a FA? not sure what you expect to get.

Yea haha I'm sure they wouldn't tell him he'll be traded but by not working out a deal that's what would happen. I do think Fant wants to be here because Douglas took a chance on him. If he's not signed by the draft I could see us drafting an OT earlyish 

On 4/9/2022 at 1:15 PM, T0mShane said:

Look at it this way: you’re the GM of a football team that’s about to win six games next year and your seat is fairly warm. Which situation would you rather go into 2022 with?:

A. Mekhi Becton coming back off of a catastrophic 2021 pre-season and a mysterious knee injury who is getting bumped to right tackle, where you pray he’ll stay healthy and motivated for 17 weeks.

-or-

B. Trevor Penning, a bulldog, starting at right tackle with a pack of extra draft picks and/or a receiver you acquired in the trade for Becton. 

If my interest was self-preservation, I’m not risking my job on Becton staying healthy or motivated. 

Choice C. Becton + take  your pick among one of these at somewhere between $3-8MM for the year:

• Jason Peters = still my preference, if he'll have us. Exactly the guy I'd want taking Becton under his wing, plus he's not going to have an ego about starting - he said as much a year ago. He's cheap, somehow is still really good, and has experience doing anything/everything. 
  • Duane Brown = is also still plenty productive (though not the great player he once was). He may be holding out for a starting job to open up, but he's not going to want to sit out the season unless he's totally done playing. He's been a pure LT but I doubt he couldn't handle RT if needed, and anyway we'll probably need some spot starts for Fant regardless. Note Seattle ran a ton of ozb so he could step right in.
  • Eric Fisher = took a major step back, but if he hadn't he wouldn't be available (let alone for single-digit millions). For spot-starting I think he'd be ok, and there's always a possibility he needed another year to get back to 100% after tearing his Achilles right before the SB the prior year.
  • Daryl Williams = was a reliable starter, and even in his prime only tipped the scales at $8MM/yr. He just got cut to clear only $6MM and teams weren't pushing each other out of the way to grab him. Doubles up as extra guard depth, too. Huge freaking dude, so I don't know how ideal of a fit he is, but Moses wasn't either, and these guys are pros.
  • Riley Reiff = wasn't his best at RT in Cincy, before going on IR in December, but we need depth not an immediate starter. A year ago he only got a 1 yr $7.5MM deal to start, so how much could he be at 33? Min ran a ton of ozb and he only gave up 1 sack in in 1000 snaps at LT in 2020.
  • Brandon Shell = ok I just wanted to see if you were still reading this. He won't be expensive, and wasn't a train wreck in Seattle, when he wasn't missing games to injury. Would probably cost somewhere between the vet minimum and $4MM. He did play LT once for us, when we upset Dallas after Darnold came back from mono, but there'd have to be some major emergency again; he's a RT. 
  • Dennis Kelly. Meh. He's got some recent starting experience & would be dirt cheap (played for the vet min last year). He can't be any worse than Edoga, anyway. 
  • Mike Remmers = wouldn't thrill me if we needed him for 10+ games, but we've started worse. He was one of the two backup KC tackles who got his ass handed to him in the prior SB, but he was solid enough of a starter prior to that to allow Mahomes to lead the league in yards/game, and starts wherever he's needed on the line (except center). Turns 33 next week & is likely to be at or double the league minimum. 
  • Mitch Schwartz = wasn't he supposed to return to the field this year? He was. a top RT once, before getting hurt in 2020 and needed the next year to recover. He turns 33 in June, so how much could he be? 
  • David Quessenberry = would be the bottom of this list after giving up 11 sacks last year, though "toughness" wouldn't be a problem for a guy who came back from non-Hodgkins lymphoma to the practice squad to starter. Supposed to be a good run blocker, but their backs are more downhill guys hi. There are enough available that they shouldn't have to scrape the barrel this close.

These older guys are perfect for depth: we don't need to rely upon any for 17 starts, but it wouldn't be a disaster if needed for an extensive stint. Likely no worse (or not much, anyway) than a rookie thrown into the fire after flipping sides, probably learning some new blocking, too, next to a 2nd-year RG, but I'm sure others here could rank them individually better than I can.

And anyway, on top of that, I'd still draft a tackle in round 4 +/- a round (depending who's there).

So with all that, yeah I half expect them to draft a tackle and then trade Becton or Fant for just a later 3rd round pick who'll barely see the field. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

8 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Fant being the odd man out and getting traded would certainly be a choice, and not one I would expect. It would be risky in the short-term, IMO, considering Fant's level of play last year and Becton's unreliability, and I'd have to assume it comes along with another veteran OT acquisition as insurance.

Should it work out in the long run, then you're still looking at having 3 1st round draft picks on the Oline who will all want to get paid accordingly. Now, could JD finagle the cap to get it done? Perhaps. Maybe get a hometown discount on one or two of them? Maybe. Could he flip one for future assests that include 1st round+ value instead? Sure. But is that really the smartest allocation of resources?

Hey, don't look at me; I'm not the one advocating they use a top 10 pick (let alone top 4) on yet another LT for the team, not to mention the 3rd OL drafted in round 1 in as many years. I think there are better uses for the pick, including trading it. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I don’t think they will ultimately use a first on OL, but anyone totally dismissing it shouldn’t.

I'm going to be shocked if they use 4 or 10 for an OT.

I'll be even more shocked if Becton is traded for a first round pick.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea haha I'm sure they wouldn't tell him he'll be traded but by not working out a deal that's what would happen. I do think Fant wants to be here because Douglas took a chance on him. If he's not signed by the draft I could see us drafting an OT earlyish 

Just purely speculative opinion but I am wondering if they already have a deal with Fant but both sides agreed to keep it under wraps so that they can use the uncertainty of who the Jets will draft helps them get more in a possible trade down with another team that desperately needs an OT. Fant played very well last year has relatively low miles on his body and is worth a three year investment at LT. Move Becton to RT draft Zion  later on in the draft as McGoverns replacement 

Fant 

LVT

ZION / McGovern

TOMLINSON

BECTON is a real good O Line 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Just purely speculative opinion but I am wondering if they already have a deal with Fant but both sides agreed to keep it under wraps so that they can use the uncertainty of who the Jets will draft helps them get more in a possible trade down with another team that desperately needs an OT.

The Jets have zero tackles under contract past this season. There's no secret deal. There's no convoluted ploy to trade down. It's exactly what it looks like.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jets coaches have confided to several players the team will go offensive tackle early in the draft. Whether early means the fourth selection, 10th pick, or the top of Round 2, I cannot tell at this point.”

Pauline has to pretend to have inside info.  Saying he has "been reporting that Penning is a favorite of Joe Douglas since the senior bowl" is another way of saying, "During the senior bowl, my twitter feed was flooded by everyone in attendance saying Joe Douglas spent a ton of time talking to Penning".

I asked about Penning at 10 which isn't very popuar, but pre free agency seemed plausible.

Now?  Hard to see OL that early.  This team needs to win games now.  Not sure you take a 3rd OT unless you have a plan to move one of them.

• Upvote 1