I am feeling melancholy regarding the Jets draft and I think I know why

Definition of melancholy to help my fellow Jets fans:  A feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause.

Did I hate what the Jets did in this draft?  No, we got a new QB of our choice not named Lawrence, we got the much needed quality guard to line up next to Becton, we got a solid wide receiver that we really did need, and we got a great value at #107 with Michael Carter.

So, what's the problem?  Why am I not super psyched right now?

Because I think we could have done better.  I think that Joe Douglas was smart, but conservative.  Perhaps that is what the Jets need right now.

We could have gone in 3 different directions, all of which I would now be super pumped.  Let me list them:

1. Kept Darnold, and drafted a future hall of fame player in Kyle Pitts, got a really good tackle at #23, got Elijah Moore at #34, then picked up a solid guard in the 3rd round.  Wow, you vastly upgrade the O line with no holes, get not one but (2) amazing pass catchers which would put the Jets in a great place on offense, and still get Michael Carter in the 4th round.  This would have made me psyched and not melancholy.

2. Kept Darnold, trade the 2nd pick of the draft for 2 - 1st round draft picks for the next 2 years, plus get a 3rd round pick for this year, and probably a pick around 10 which could have netted Davonte Smith.  Happy, happy, happy.

3. Traded Darnold as they did, pick up Zach at QB, but stay put at #23, draft your tackle (Darrishaw), take Moore at #34, then pick up a quality guard in the 3rd round, get a quality linebacker in the 3rd round, etc...

Again, I'm not unhappy, just dreaming about what could have been.....

• Upvote 6
  • Thumb Down 29
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 2

Scenario two is kind of a huge hypothetical, no? Most realistic you can say is accepting the SF trade which is future capital heavy. Realistically you’d probably be looking at Slater at 12 and quite possibly Moore at 23 if not 34. It’s definitely not a bad scenario with all the future 1’s. The 12 and then back up to 6 didn’t work so well for Miami. So another guy at 23/34, slight upgrade at tackle, and the future SF’s first rounders (which maybe project to be late) minus the Carolina 2 next year. Which does get kind of interesting because how far apart will the SF #1 and the Carolina #2 end up being!

Seems you’re kind of upset about not grabbing a tackle which is an interesting one. I feel like that boiled down to expectations a little. Fant got guaranteed so it would’ve been a big surprise to see him replaced this year. I’m not sure tackle was really in play. If he struggles next year I think it’ll be high on the needs list and very addressable with two #1’s and two #2’s.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Before the whole process I also wanted to keep Darnold one more year and use that juicy 2nd overall for other things.  Once it was clear we were moving on I put that away.

Also come next year when we see the 2nd and 4th rounders from Carolina it will sooth feelings.

As fans no matter how well our teams GM does we will always think he could do better.

I suppose you are right.  As much as I wanted to keep Darnold another year like yourself, I can't help but think about all the missed throws that Darnold made on long throws, and the wide open receivers that he didn't see, and the turnovers when he didn't even have pressure on him.  

Then, the "I got to do better" speech that he gave on a weekly basis, but never played better to back up his words.

Darnold had a lot of help being sh*tty, but unfortunately he bears some responsibility, and ultimately I get why JD and company decided to move on.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, derp said:

Scenario two is kind of a huge hypothetical, no? Most realistic you can say is accepting the SF trade which is future capital heavy. Realistically you’d probably be looking at Slater at 12 and quite possibly Moore at 23 if not 34. It’s definitely not a bad scenario with all the future 1’s. The 12 and then back up to 6 didn’t work so well for Miami. So another guy at 23/34, slight upgrade at tackle, and the future SF’s first rounders (which maybe project to be late) minus the Carolina 2 next year. Which does get kind of interesting because how far apart will the SF #1 and the Carolina #2 end up being!

Seems you’re kind of upset about not grabbing a tackle which is an interesting one. I feel like that boiled down to expectations a little. Fant got guaranteed so it would’ve been a big surprise to see him replaced this year. I’m not sure tackle was really in play. If he struggles next year I think it’ll be high on the needs list and very addressable with two #1’s and two #2’s.

It's not that I wanted to move on from Fant this year, but there are many quality tackles that could easily play guard this upcoming season, and then move to right tackle next year.  Even the guard we picked in the 1st round was a tackle that was converted to guard.  That was my thinking, and I felt that the value at #23, while Tucker would have been gone by then, we could have gotten a guy like Darrishaw or Jenkins.  

• Thumb Down 1

27 minutes ago, Alka said:

Definition of melancholy to help my fellow Jets fans:  A feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause.

Did I hate what the Jets did in this draft?  No, we got a new QB of our choice not named Lawrence, we got the much needed quality guard to line up next to Becton, we got a solid wide receiver that we really did need, and we got a great value at #107 with Michael Carter.

Because I think we could have done better.  I think that Joe Douglas was smart, but conservative.  Perhaps that is what the Jets need right now.

We could have gone in 3 different directions, all of which I would now be super pumped.  Let me list them:

1. Kept Darnold, and drafted a future hall of fame player in Kyle Pitts, got a really good tackle at #23, got Elijah Moore at #34, then picked up a solid guard in the 3rd round.  Wow, you vastly upgrade the O line with no holes, get not one but (2) amazing pass catchers which would put the Jets in a great place on offense, and still get Michael Carter in the 4th round.  This would have made me psyched and not melancholy.

2. Kept Darnold, trade the 2nd pick of the draft for 2 - 1st round draft picks for the next 2 years, plus get a 3rd round pick for this year, and probably a pick around 10 which could have netted Davonte Smith.  Happy, happy, happy.

3. Traded Darnold as they did, pick up Zach at QB, but stay put at #23, draft your tackle (Darrishaw), take Moore at #34, then pick up a quality guard in the 3rd round, get a quality linebacker in the 3rd round, etc...

Try to find something that brings joy to your life.

• Haha 1

As good as he is, I’m yet to be convinced that Kyle Pitts is having a hall of fame career with Sam throwing to him...and hard to agree that we had a conservative draft when we gambled 2 very valuable 3rd round picks to move up to 14 for an OG!?...I’d say that ballsy

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Cp561 said:

Wow man, I've never heard of this word melancholy before. Thank you for defining it for a dumb jet fan such as myself. One day I hope my vocabulary can become as good as yours

LOL.  I realize that most fans know what the meaning of the word is, but I also realize that not everyone as smart as yourself knows the word.  I looked up the word myself to make sure I got it right, so perhaps I am one of the dumb fans your are referring to.

There was no offense intended, and If I did offend anyone, I truly apologize.

• Upvote 1

Sam Darnold's ceiling is Jake Plummer.  Anybody want to pay $30M per year for that?

With the exception of a few games, Darnold  stunk for 3 years.

He was inaccurate, showed zero balls, lacks competitiveness, and essentially accepted losing. 

A fresh start at QB on a rookie deal was not just an option, it was the only choice.

• Upvote 2

Darnold was done here. Pining for him and a couple of picks after a consensus excellent draft and nearly full reset is absurd. 

Sorry. 

I think your melancholic feelings are from the draft being over, and maybe a couple of players you wanted didn't get drafted, nothing more.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Alka said:

i guess by October nobody will be posting anymore....Keep Darnold posts. i figure by 6-8 games Carolina fans will be pulling out their hair and cursing the day they traded for him.

6 minutes ago, Alka said:

LOL.  I realize that most fans know what the meaning of the word is, but I also realize that not everyone as smart as yourself knows the word.  I looked up the word myself to make sure I got it right, so perhaps I am one of the dumb fans your are referring to.

There was no offense intended, and If I did offend anyone, I truly apologize.

http://ppcorn.com/us/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2015/01/Mellon-Collie-and-the-Infinite-Sadness-Smashing-pumpkins-ppcorn.jpg

• Upvote 1