Eddy Pineiro

7 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean keep trotting him out there till he starts to screw up big time. He’s only 26, could have a long career 

Yeah. I do think part of building a good team is having these guys like kickers ans punters stick around ans. It be a revolving door.  The jets recent  kicking woes is kind of emblematic of the whole era.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He is a stop gap but not the answer,, look everywhere next year, cuts, free agents the draft.  We need to get that thing semi straightened out.

Agreed. It’s actually rather humorous each time ( any kicker for the Jets) walks out for a field goal or pat. I honestly never think they’re going to make it. Once this team does actually improve and we can actually root for wins again - or like me, completely indifferent. It would really suck to lose a game because of a jag kicker when everyone already knows it’s a huge issue.

7-7 to start his jets. In general do we think he could be a long term answer? Doesn’t seem to have a super strong leg but seems like he can make 50 Hardee’s consistently. Curious what everyone thinks

Better than the alternatives.

8 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

7-7 to start his jets. In general do we think he could be a long term answer? Doesn’t seem to have a super strong leg but seems like he can make 50 Hardee’s consistently. Curious what everyone thinks

It’s not the misses (clearly). It’s the unnecessary low kicks that make people nervous that he won’t be consistent over a full season or more.

Someone in the game thread called his 51-yard kick the little engine that could of FGs. Pretty apt.

Sure, fine, bring him back for camp. But nothing much (or nothing at all) guaranteed, and yes with actual competition. 

• Upvote 3

I never would’ve cut Amendola. I’d bring Piñiero back and have him and Amendola battle it out. I’d even consider keeping both, with Amendola handling KOs and longer attempts if he can’t win the job outright. 

• Upvote 4

Pineiro's leg strength is poor, he barely got a 51 yarder over the crossbar
on a 50+ degree day.  His accuracy has been terrific, so I definitely want
to keep him and let him compete with Ammendola in the off-season.  Its amazing
how different these kickers are:

- Pineiro is scrawny, with poor leg strength and terrific accuracy
- Ammendola is buff, with incredible leg strength and awful accuracy

If Wilson and our offense takes its production to another level I would tend
to favor Pineiro.  Because a productive offense will not have to rely on many
50+ yard FGs and I want an accurate kicker.  Mann can continue to handle the
kickoffs

• Upvote 2

yeah let him earn the job in ******* training camp because you know he's not really earning the job now by hitting every field goal he's attempted when the god damn games count. WTF is wrong with you people ?

Amendola has a strong leg OMG he's a beast but he cant hit the ocean yet lets drag him back in here to compete with the guy who does not miss. 

I'm all for competition but lets not get stupid here this guy has earned this job and the only way he's going to lose it is by missing field goals in regular season games he's not going to lose it in training camp. I guess kickers can't work out and get stronger. Maybe his cap is 55 yards or even 53 yards because you know the 7-10 attempts at 50+ yarders per year is so much more important than kicking at a 100% clip under 50.

• Sympathy 1

Pineiro doesn't have a great leg, but his kicks have looked a little better over the course of the few weeks he's been here, considering it originally looked like those in the 30s range were barely even making it.  I'm not sure he's the long term answer, but still far better than any of the others JD brought in before him (including Ammendola, which the infatuation some have with him is ridiculous for a guy who has been laughably inaccurate throughout his NFL and college careers).

He's going to be a dirt cheap ERFA for the Jets, so definitely throw the tag his way and then find someone to compete with him in camp, whether that's someone who shakes free in free agency (e.g., the Colts currently have 2 kickers better than anyone the Jets have had in a long time) or picking up an undrafted rookie.

• Upvote 1

There is only one Justin Tucker.

Honestly, how often do you need a guy to hit one from more than 55 yards anyway?

Knock ‘em in from 50 or less consistently and that is good enough for me.  Way more important than the rare need for a missile launch.

• Upvote 1

Pineiro has been very solid. He clearly doesn't have a very big leg, and he has to hit his balls low to get any decent distance, but he is accurate and, so far, reliable.

Not sure if he will be an RFA or an UFA after the season, but I would like to see the Jets bring him back. Ammendola will also be back, as he is not eligible for FA yet and is cheap. If Pineiro is re-signed, it will be his job to lose going into camp - though if Ammendola develops any consistency, his leg power can make him a legit threat.

Our kicking position isn't great, but it's certainly better than it has been for several years.

9 hours ago, GreenFish said:

If we’re going to lean going for it so much on 4th and short, I think those long field goals are less important. Give me the sure kicker.

That's a good point. But there are still situations at the end of the half or at the end of the game where your only option is a 54 yarder and if he can't reach, that's a real problem. Regardless, i rather have piniero than big leg kicker that is shaky inside the 50. Piniero has made a couple 50+ yard kicks. 

• Upvote 1

He's a good stopgap, but not a long term solution.  He would be a liability if/when the Jets are playing meaningful games in December and January.

All of his 40+ yard FGs are line drives.  Sooner or later, teams will catch on and bring pressure up the middle to block those kicks.

Bottom line, a good NFL kicker needs to be able to hit a 50 or 55 yard FG in cold weather.

I am more interested in a kicker who can kick a 40-yarder in the final seconds with the game on the line than a guy who can nail 55+ yarders during the game. 

Pineiro is still an unknown kicking under pressure for us.  FWIW it looks like he was 2 for 3 in game winning situations in Chicago, including a 53-yarder (in Denver, so it deserves an asterisk) to win a game.  

• Upvote 1