Darnold to the Panthers

4 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Why do you say that?   We have 10 picks this year and 11 for next.   Only so many rookies can make the team in any given year so why not move up for a targeted player with the extra picks?

When Idzik used all 14 picks that year it was a waste.   

I’m not sure who’d trade up for. They Love Waddle but he’d have to fall to within poaching distance. 

I agree about “only so many rookies” mentality - but i think we’re better off using day 3 ammo go move around on day 2. We’re too thin on talent not to take 3-4 swings in rounds 2-3. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I'm not reliving this or debating this again. Favre wouldn't sit when/if he got hurt so he could keep his beloved streak alive, and other than good games against NE, Tenn, and Ariz, he stunk.  Pennington outplayed him and it's not even close. And why didn't Favre stay another season or two?  

Pennington was so good in Miami, they had an offensive assistant dig up his old H.S. playbook so they could run the Wildcat with Ronnie Brown in an effort to keep the ball out of Chad's weak, weak hands. ? 

Stop it.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Evaluating it from Sam’s perspective seems pretty darn good. He finally found a way to get himself surrounded with talent. Play action to Christian McCaffrey and then hitting who, Pitts or Jalen Waddle?

Right.  The first time he hands off to McCaffrey will be the FIRST time Darnold has any semblance of a Pro running game....in his 4th Year...so pathetic.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Also going from playing against bottom tier college defenses to NFL defenses. Its tough enough for rookie QBs to get thrown out there week 1, even when they have a history of playing against elite college talent. This kid is looking at a massive leap in terms of what he's playing against.

Agree.  Totally

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I’m not sure who’d trade up for. They Love Waddle but he’d have to fall to within poaching distance. 

I agree about “only so many rookies” mentality - but i think we’re better off using day 3 ammo go move around on day 2. We’re too thin on talent not to take 3-4 swings in rounds 2-3. 

If one of the top receivers, Pitts or Slater were to fall to mid to high teens, Id be cool with using a third rder to go up and get them.  

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Give me a break, body makeup isnt what you were goofing on.

You've been calling him out for his looks.  Grow up 

He looks like a 14 year old girl.  That is body make up.

Sorry, not sorry I offended your gentle sensibilities.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

That was the list of players i bought a jersey for. Wait! I forgot kyle wilson, but maybe I can recycle that one.

thank god i got them cheap.

HOLY SHlT!!!!  You bought a Kyle Wilson jersey???   I’ll never look at you the same again.?  My daughter is a UNC Tar Heel.  I bought her a Coples jersey.  Think it’s a car wash rag these days.   

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What they gave up has nothing to do with what they got.

The minute you make a move it is a sunk cost.

The return for Darnold was about as good as can be expected.

It could easily end up being a fantastic move for Carolina.

This.

Acquisition and disposal should be evaluated separately.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, undertow said:

I cant believe we took Ken OBrien over Dan Marino.

The biggest head scratcher in my 50 plus years of being a Jets fan.  

I was watching the draft, and when Dan Marino fell to us like around #18, I was so psyched.

When the Jets picked Ken O'Brien instead of Marino, I felt like someone punched me in the face.

To this day, I still don't understand what happened.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alka said:

The biggest head scratcher in my 50 plus years of being a Jets fan.  

I was watching the draft, and when Dan Marino fell to us like around #18, I was so psyched.

When the Jets picked Ken O'Brien instead of Marino, I felt like someone punched me in the face.

To this day, I still don't understand what happened.

He smoked some pot in college...same as Warren Sapp. lol

1 hour ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

How did that work out well? Did cardinals make the playoffs? Win the division? I failed to see that.

And it was just a general question on how would the fan base feel about selecting another quarterback next year  since there will be a full collegiate season and there are a lot of good prospects, thanks for answering 

Division title?  We went 2 and f**king 14.  lol.  

Kyler Murray makes them exciting and competitive.  Something the Jets have never been with Sam Darnold, and something the Cardinals would not have been had they stuck with Rosen.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

He smoked some pot in college...same as Warren Sapp. lol

Nope. Shula floated a rumor that he was a coke head. Intentionally caused him to fall. 

Recall, Pittsburgh was a hub of cocaine distribution for professional athletes back during that time. 

Dale Berra, Rod Scurry all big coke fiends for the Pirates back in the 70s and Keith Hernandez admitted that’s basically where he scored his coke every trip in. Spilled over to college ball.  

Marino was certainly a party animal so the story fit. True or not. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Becton is the man.

I think pretty much everyone likes Sam.  Good kid who had talent but was put in a brutal situation with the Jets.  As much as I like the compensation we got back I think Sam is finally breathing a sigh of relief.  He finally has an actual nfl oline and coach to help him 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Jets gave three seconds for a '21 sixth, a 22 second and fourth not to mention three years of lousy quarterbacking

Wouldn't it be great if you took over for av lousy employee and then we  got to bash you for crimes of your predecessor. 

We all know mac sucks. It's kind of why he got fired.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

We will see....  Sam was thrown to the wolves.  Mahommes couldn’t win with our offense. 

Yes he could and would.  Maybe not a championship but definitely a division title and some playoff games.  Andy Reid traded up for Mahomes for a reason.  And then a year later dumped Alex Smith despite coming off a career year.

The overwhelming majority of evidence tells us that QB's lift (or bring down) the personnel and supporting cast around them far moreso than the other way around.  QB's make the most money on the field, and more than GM's or coaches, for a reason.  You can either play the game well or you can't.  

And its telling that the 2 people who repped this post are @Pac and @genot.  lmao.  With Pac and genot calling the shots, the Chiefs would have stuck with Alex Smith.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Nope. Shula floated a rumor that he was a coke head. Intentionally caused him to fall. 

Recall, Pittsburgh was a hub of cocaine distribution for professional athletes back during that time. 

Dale Berra, Rod Scurry all big coke fiends for the Pirates back in the 70s and Keith Hernandez admitted that’s basically where he scored his coke every trip in. Spilled over to college ball.  

Marino was certainly a party animal so the story fit. True or not. 

Yup! Don Shula was a straight up slimeball before Belichick got all the credit for being a slimeball. 

Great move. A potential Top 40 pick next year along with a 4th and a 6th. More than I expected we'd get. I assume JD had his price in his head and finally got the offer; no reason to wait until draft night. I hope Sam turns it around. If he'll succeed anywhere, it'll be living on play-action off of Cafe.

Feels good to know we locked in on Wilson too.