Are the Jets still the worst team in AFC East?

I think the term "take flight" is appropriate.  This team is finally starting to do so.  There's a chance we'll finish in last place but we won't be pushovers anymore.  There's also a chance we can finish in 2nd place, btw (I'm assuming Buffalo is the easy division winner).  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On paper (and I stress that part) I can't see how we haven't passed NE in terms of talent on the field.  The only real unknown right now is Zach.  In every other way, I see better talent on our side almost across the board.

MIA is closer for me.  They have one of the top WR tandems in the league, and a really good TE.  Tua is their big unknown and I think our OLine is better.  Defenses both look talented on paper.  

BUF, as long as they have that moose playing QB who apparently sold his soul to gain passing accuracy, is going to be the toughest out.  They are pretty strong across the roster.  Whatever weaknesses they have on defense will be that much harder to exploit with Von Miller in town.  I think the key to beating them may be in shutting down Diggs as they don't really have another threat.  THAT may be the key to why Gardner was our priority draft target.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

I don’t know how tf the Pats won 10 games last year, their roster is crap. Jets have a better roster but who knows what the records will look like from a w/l perspective. We also haven’t beaten them in about 10 years. Miami I have no clue how they’re gonna be, could be great or crash and burn.

Buffalo is obviously a Super Bowl favorite and we’re nowhere near them yet 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

I've been reading comments from other fans on twitter saying how great the Jets did in the draft however, they're still gonna finish last in the division.  In my opinion, on paper the Jets roster is just as good as Miami and New England.  What do you think?

The Faketriots are the worst team in the division now.

The NFL is a war of attrition. If Lawson and Becton are healthy and in shape, and the new performance department keeps the injury bug away, there is depth now at key positions. 

It’s an oversimplification, but if Zach just gets the ball out of his hand and doesn’t try to be the hero so much I don’t see why they can’t compete with Miami and the cheaters. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

IMO the Pats are the worst team. At least on paper. They did well last year but had that run in the middle of the season, then went downhill when defenses figured out Mac.

They don't seem to have done much to improve their defense at all and I really think they just get extra credit at this point because of BB. Maybe they'll pay off the refs and end up winning the division somehow but I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them finish last.

I said this the other day, I think Tua is so limited in what he can do that he'll hold Miami back.

I was listening to Simms talk about Wilson and he convinced me that he'll take a big step this year. I could see the Jets starting out 2-2, 2-3 or something like that, with this board going crazy about how the coaches need to be fired, but then start to come on in the middle of the season when all the young players start to get their feet.

Bills have had it pretty easy the last two years, it'll be a dog fight this season I think. The Bills get extra credit for how they played in the playoffs, but we had some really bad games last season and have a much tougher schedule this year. They need to figure a way to play more games like they did in the playoffs and less like the one Vs Atlanta if they want to win the East again and get homefield advantage (which is the key to them getting to the SB)

• Upvote 2

Heard a podcast today that said the Jets now have the 3rd best roster in the AFC East and it's not all that far from Miami (at #2), with New England being last.

Most of the holes remaining on the starting roster are on D and they're not completely glaring holes.  The offense now has a minimum of average caliber talent across all 11 as well as 3-4 more average rotational players.  In other words, the offense is done and, QB unknowns aside, the Jets are now in a position with coming Drafts to look to go from good to great personnel-wise (notwithstanding injuries or departures of free agents).  I think I agree with this.

• Upvote 1

Wait, are you guys insane? Yes, by like a longshot this Jets roster is absolutely 100% the worst in the division? Are you kidding?

I mean, you have to say at this point, yes. I totally agree that that could change as early as training camp based on development, busts on other teams and injuries on other teams. 

• Upvote 1

Well Buff has to go into the season rated 1 in the division. After that there’s no overall leader we could be anywhere from 2 to 4. All 4 teams could have .500 or better records. I think we stack up with Miami and NEP and could split our games against them. I expect Zach to take two steps up over 2021 he could be better then Mac and Tua. 

• Upvote 3

It’s long forgotten, but this Jets team beat the Titans and Bengals, and went down to the wire with Tampa. If they get even above average QB play, they’ve shown that they can move the ball, and if they find a pass rush, the defense might not be historically bad again. All that said, they got absolutely face-****ed in their division games, and two of their four wins were to teams that were laying down for draft picks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

47 minutes ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

I've been reading comments from other fans on twitter saying how great the Jets did in the draft however, they're still gonna finish last in the division.  In my opinion, on paper the Jets roster is just as good as Miami and New England.  What do you think?

If you look at previous drafts there are always first rounders that don’t meet expectations or flat out bust. We have to wait until we see them on the field. For now let’s just enjoy how well they worked the process and  stay optimistic. 

• Upvote 2

Probably still the worst in the AFCE but it might depend on things like how effective that Lawson and Becton are going to be coning off serious injuries.  If they are both fully back then we are automatically better, possibly much better even before the talent that has just been drafted over the last three days.

• Upvote 1

On paper alone, this is the 2nd or 3rd best team in the east. They have to prove it on the field, though obviously. Forget Buffalo who's on another level, but This is a better team than New England right now, full stop. And they have more depth than Miami in quite a few areas.

Absolutely no reason this team can't hold its own in this division as constituted. And Joe will probably add some more in UDFA and FA before the games count. 

• Upvote 1